Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
About the Scheme
Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009, the Scheme aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their full-time PhD studies in Hong Kong's institutions.SFT invites worldwide graduates with academic excellence, research potential, good communication skills and leadership abilities for their PhD studies. The normal study period is three years (for Postgraduate Degree holder) or four years (for Bachelor degree holder). The Scheme will offer a maximum of four-year tuition scholarship, a monthly stipend*, and conference and research related travel allowance for awardees for a maximum period of four years.
* guaranteed for the first year of their study with a possibility to be renewed in subsequent years subject to their good academic performance
Candidates seeking admission as full-time PhD students who would like to pursue their career in academic research and teaching in fashion and textiles, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, are most welcome.
Candidates should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Annual Stipend & Allowance
The Scheme will provide a stipend of HK$26,600 per month (approx. US$3,430* per month) and conference and research related travel allowance of HK$13,300 per year (approx. US$1,715* per year) for awardees for a maximum period of three years. In addition, PolyU will award those with a four-year normal study period the same provision during their fourth year of study and award each PhD Fellowship awardee with a tuition scholarship covering the entire normal study period. Hall accommodation in the first two years of study will also be guaranteed.
*HK$1 = approximately US$0.13
SFT conducts a wide range of world-class research with high application value and research impact in fashion and textiles discipline:
Fashion & Textile Design
- Metallic Textile Design & Development
- Interactive Textile Design & Development
- Integration of Fashion Design & Wearable Electronics
- High Performance Sportswear
- Fashion Design Theory
- Fashion & Textile Supply Chain
- Fashion Branding
- Consumer Behaviour
- Quality Management
- Planning & Scheduling Optimization
- Sustainability in Fashion
- Health Care Apparel Product Development
- Bra Fit, Comfort & Development
- Thermal & Wear Comfort Evaluation & Optimization
- Virtual Clothing Simulation & Animation
- Intelligent Fabric Defect Detection
- New Fabric Structure Development
- Smart Materials & Textiles
- Textile-based Wearable Electronics
- Biomedical Textiles & Materials
- High Performance Sports Textiles
- Energy Harvesting & Storage
- New Fiber Spinning & Development
- Non-contact Image-based Colour Measurements
- Bio-based Green Colourants
- Functional & Nano Fabric Surface Finishings
- Environmentally-friendly Colouration & Finishings
- New Nanomaterial Synthesis, Assemble & Simulation
HKPFS candidates should possess:
- a Bachelor’s degree with First Class Honours, or the equivalent, conferred by a recognised university; or
- a postgraduate degree containing a significant research component, such as a dissertation, conferred by a recognised university.
- Exempted for candidates who have obtained a degree awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction was English; or
- IELTS >=6.5; or
- TOEFL >= 550 for paper-based test; or
- TOEFL >= 80 for internet-based test
- All English language test scores are considered valid for two years after the date of the test.
Applications will be considered on the basis of the information (such as academic/ professional qualifications and work experience) that is provided on the application form. You may be required to attend an interview and/or test.
Step 1: Submission of Initial Application
- Each applicant is allowed to make one initial application only to RGC through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) Electronic System to obtain a HKPFS reference number on or before 2 December 2020 12:00 noon Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours).
- Indicate the preference on the institutions if two institutions are chosen instead of one.
- No change to the choice of institutions/preference is allowed after application submission.
Step 2: Submission of Full Application to PolyU
- Submit a full application and pay the application fee, via eAdmission System on or before 2 December 2020 23:59 Hong Kong time (GMT +8 hours), by quoting the HKPFS reference number.
- Applicant is reminded to submit two separate full applications online if s/he has chosen two PolyU programmes from two different departments. A non-refundable fee of HK$300 will be charged for each full application.
- If two PolyU programmes belong to two research areas of a programme offered by the same department, only one full application is required.
- Nominate two academic referees who can comment on your academic performances.
For detailed instruction, please click here.
Initial application: 2 December 2020 12:00 noon Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours)
Full application: 2 December 2020 23:59 Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours)
|SFT Departmental Research Committee||PolyU Research Office|
|Tel.:||+852 2766 6463||Tel.:||+852 3400 3635|
|Fax:||+852 2773 1432||Fax:||+852 2355 7651|