Quick Facts about Scholarships
PolyU gives recognition to academically outstanding students admitted to its full-time undergraduate programmes by granting them entry scholarships, which are offered by the University, HKSAR Government or donors and cover tuition fee in full/partial and/or living expenses. Besides, non-academic entry scholarships of varying amounts are also awarded to students with outstanding achievement in sports, arts, leadership, music, community services or others.
- Around 365 and 47 academic entry scholarships were awarded to new local and non-local students respectively in 2018/19.
- Students came from different countries including Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Rwanda, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan and Tajikistan.
- For 2019/20 admission, PolyU will award entry scholarships to local students with outstanding HKDSE / IB / GCEAL / IAL results.
With the donations from private organizations, firms, professional bodies, individuals and the Government funds, PolyU recognizes the academic achievements of students by offering post-entry academic scholarships/prizes of different values.
- In 2018/19, PolyU honored the academically outstanding students of various disciplines by offering over 1,900 academic post-entry scholarships/prizes totaling at around $35.8 million with the generous support from the donors and the Government.
- The scholarship value normally ranges from $8,000 to around $80,000.
- The scholarship awardees are usually nominated by the heads of academic departments, in consultation with the staff of the department concerned.
The PolyU Student Exchange Programme finances students to study abroad during summer break or regular semester to broaden their global outlook, explore and develop their potential and increase their competitiveness for career development while fulfilling the requirements of their academic programmes at PolyU.
- In 2018/19, around 1,070 outbound exchange places for full-time degree students.
- In 2018/19 (as of end March 2019), over 170 exchange scholarships were offered to students.
- The value of scholarship normally ranges from HK$10,000 to HK$60,000 depending on the destination for exchange.
The Service-Learning (SL) Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2013 by the Service-Learning and Leadership Office (formerly as Office of Service-Learning) to recognize students who exhibit outstanding performance in SL subjects. It also aims to encourage students to continue their involvement in community service and act as student leaders to support the development of SL at PolyU. All scholarship recipients will receive leadership training and complete at least 20 hours of service that offer to them an opportunity to organize their own service projects or to contribute to the development of SL through providing support to the implementation of SL subjects.
- In 2018/19, around 4,000 full-time undergraduate students are expected to enroll in 70 service-learning subjects.
- We aim to set up 100 service-learning scholarships to recognize students’ performance.
Sports Scholarships, which are mainly offered by the University in the form of entry scholarships and amounting up to the tuition fee level, are awarded to students who have reached an international level of performance with outstanding achievements in his/her sports areas. A small number of scholarships offered by donors are also available to recognize students with outstanding sports achievements.
- In 2018/19, PolyU Sports Team captured 13 Champion titles in USFHK Inter-collegiate sports competitions out of 32 events, including Swimming (M&W), Handball (M&W), Volleyball (M), Soccer (M), Cross-country (M), Karetedo (M), Badminton(M), Woodball (M), Basketball (W), Fencing (W) and Squash (W).
- 11 student-athletes were also honored as “The Most Valuable Player (MVP)”.
- The Sports Team also captured the Grand Slam in both USFHK Yearly Men’s and Women’s Overall Champion again.