Portrait of smiling hispanic boy looking at camera. Young elementary schoolboy carrying backpack and standing in library at school. Cheerful middle eastern child standing with library background.

Open a Bank Account

The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) has come up with a policy regarding the opening a bank account at local banks for people under age of 18 (minors). Minors are required to be accompanied by parent/guardian when opening a bank account. The parent/guardian will be requested to sign a declaration and provide a copy of HKID card/passport/other documents as proof of his/her identiy.  For details, please check with the local banks directly.

Leaving Hong Kong for one day or more

Non-local students under the age of 18 should complete the Departure Record Form and return it to the Non-local Student Services Team (NLSST) at QT308, Communal Building at least 7 working days before leaving Hong Kong for one day or more.

They are also required to ask their parents to fill out Part B of the Departure Record Form and send the scanned copy to NLSST by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Special Regulations for Minors

If a hall resident is under age 18, he should:

a) allow the University to inform his parents/guardian/next of kin in the following conditions:

  1. emergencies;
  2. violations of Hall Regulations, policies and/or terms and conditions on hall residence;
  3. prolonged absence from study;
  4. change on residential status;
  5. situations warrant attention of his parents/guardian/next of kin.

b) notify a Hall Tutor and seek verbal endorsement:

  1. before 22:00 when he returns or leaves the hall after 23:00;
  2. before 22:00 when he applies for overnight stay of a visitor at the Halls; 
  3. when he plans to stay overnight outside the Halls (need to provide a detailed address of his overnight stay);
  4. a day in advance when he leaves Hong Kong for whatever purpose. For non-local students, a written application should be submitted to Guardian of Non-local students under age 18, 7 days in advance for approval.

For details, please refer to Regulations Governing Hall Residence (Hung Hom Halls) and Regulations Governing Hall Residence (Homantin Halls).