RISUD Distinguished Lecture - A New Approach for Design and Testing of Composite Materials
日期：2016 年 05 月 12 日 ( 星期四)
Time：11:00 am – 12:15 pm
Two years ago, we discovered trace (the sum of the diagonal components of the stiffness matrix of composites) and found its game-changing impact on design and testing of composites. Composites are easier to understand and their design is no more complicated than those with metals. We will outline the entire theory and show simplifications from tools that can be used not only to design but also testing. Design allowable for example requires thousands of coupon tests can now be reduced to a few dozens. Selection of the best laminate for a given application in terms of weight and cost is direct and done without traditional optimization. Composites will find applications beyond airplanes. With our simplified approach it will be much simpler to find applications in ground transportation, wind turbines, sporting goods, and infrastructures.
Born in Beijing and educated at Yale, BE 1952 and D.Eng 1961. Life member of the US National Academy of Engineering since 1995. Steve Tsai has been active in the mechanics of composites for more than 50 years. He is known for his methods in failure criteria (Tsai-Hill and Tsai-Wu), micro mechanics (Halpin-Tsai), and most recently his discovery of trace and unit circle criterion. He also promotes simplified theories and self-teaching tools through his never-ending on-line workshops on composites design. His recent book: Composite Materials Design and Testing (2015); and a new one: Design and Manufacture of Composite Laminates due out March 2017.
All Interested Are Welcome
Please register online at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/risud/events/20160512_DistinguishedLecture/form.html
- An attendance certificate will be issued to each registered participant (no certificate will be issued to walk-in participants).
- Applicants with a confirmed registration who fail to turn up may be given lower priority for future RISUD events.
By registering for the event, it is understood that you have agreed to the following terms and conditions:
- There may be delays in both the start time and the end time of the event.
- Certificates of attendance will not be provided to participants who are late by 10 or more minutes, or leave before the event is finished.
- RISUD reserves the right of final decision in any disputes over the issuance of certificates of attendance.