Area of Specialization
Theoretical and numerical combustion; Chemical kinetics; Droplet and spray dynamics; Rarefied gas dynamics
|2010||Ph.D. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
|2003||M.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering
Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
|2000||B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering
University of Science and Technology of China
|2012-present||Associate Professor (2017-present), Assistant Professor (2012-2017)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
|2010-2012||Combustion Energy Research Fellow
Combustion Energy Frontier Research Center of U.S. Department of Energy
|2010||Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Droplet and spray dynamics; Theoretical chemical kinetics; Supersonic combustion; Fire whirl; Gas-turbine combustion; Rarefied gas dynamics
Honors and Awards
State Key Laboratory of High-temperature Gas Dynamics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
|2016||Research Grant Achievement Award
Faculty of Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
|2014||The Appreciation of Research Achievement
Committee of Science and Technology of Innovation of Shenzhen
|2010||Combustion Energy Research Fellowship
|2008||Wu Prize for Excellence
|2004||Yongling Liu Fellowship
Chinese Academy of Sciences
|2002||Yung-Huai Kuo Fellowship
Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
|2000||Best Senior Thesis Prize
University of Science and Technology of China
|AP10005||Physics I||(2013-2014, Fall Semester)|
|ME3403||Advanced Engineering Science in Products||(2012-2015, Fall & Spring Semesters)|
|ME3407||Fluid Mechanics||(2012-2014, Fall & Spring Semesters)|
|ME34004||Fluid Mechanics||(2014-2015, Spring Semester)|
|ME4409||Engine Technology||(2013-2015, Fall & Spring Semesters)|
|ME44003||Combustion and Pollution Control||(2017-present, Spring Semester)|
|ME47007||Aircraft and Spacecraft Propulsion||(2018-present, Fall Semester)|
|ME556||Advanced Combustion Systems||(2014-Present, Fall/Spring Semester)|
|ME576||Turbulent Flow and Aerodynamics||(2014-Present, Spring Semester)|
|ME6401||Combustion Science||(2014-Present, Fall Semester)|
Professional Society Membership
Member of Combustion Institute
Senior member AIAA
Member of Chinese Chemistry Society
Member of American Physics Society
Conference Session Chair
- 2018 China National Symposium on Combustion
- The 13th International Conference on Combustion & Energy Utilization, Taipei, 2016
- The 10th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, Beijing, 2015
- The 4th East Asia Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Workshop, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2014
- Fall Technical Meeting Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, University of Connecticut, 2011
- Journals in Physics: Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Physics of Fluid, Scientific Reports, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science
- Journals in Chemistry: Journal of Physical Chemistry, International Journal of Chemical Kinetics
- Journals in Mechanical Engineering: Combustion and Flame, Proceedings of Combustion Institute, Combustion Science and Technology, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Energy Conversion and Management, European Journal of Mechanics -B/Fluids, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Energy and Fuel, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry., AlChE Journal.
- Journals in Aerospace Engineering: AIAA Journal, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Shock Waves
- Conferences: AIAA, ASME, ASPACC, Chinese National Combustion Meeting
- Funding Agencies: Research Council of Norway, U.S. Department of Energy, ISAAC-NL
(Accepted or under Review; Corresponding Author *)
- Meng, Y. Chi, L. Zhang and P. Zhang*, A theoretical kinetics study on isomerization and dissociation reactions of methyl decanoate radicals, Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics (under review)
- Yang, X. Xia and P. Zhang*, Anti-phase and In-phase Flickering of Dual Pool Flames, Physical Review E (under review)
- Yu, H. Gu, and P. Zhang*, An energy integral analysis of compressible axisymmetric jets with external periodic focing.International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow (under review)
- Zhang, P. Zhang*and Z. Zhao, Cross-Impingement and Combustion of Sprays in High-Pressure Chamber and Opposed-piston Compression Ignition Engine, Applied Thermal Engineering (under review)
- Zhang and P. Zhang*, Modelling kinetic energy dissipation of bouncing droplets for Lagrangian simulation of impinging sprays under high ambient pressures, Spray and Atomization (under review)
- Zhang, C. He, P. Zhang*and C. Tang, Mass Interminglement and Hypergolic Ignition of TMEDA and WFNA Droplets by Off-center Collision, Combustion and Flame (under review)
- Zhu, X. Xia and P. Zhang*, Stability of Buoyant Inverse Diffusion Methane Flames with Confinement Effects, Combustion and Flame (under review)
- Li, P. Zhang*, N. Kang and F. Liu, Rayleigh-Taylor instability on a spherical droplet with nonradial disturbances, Journal of Mathematical Physics (under review)
- Li*, P. Zhang*and N. Kang, Linear Faraday instability on a viscous droplet immersed in another inviscid fluid, Physical Review Fluids (under review)
- Xia, C. He and P. Zhang*, Scalings in Coalescence of Liquid Droplets, Physical Review Letters (under review)
- Xia and P. Zhang*, A vortex-dynamical scaling theory for flickering buoyant diffusion flames, Journal of Fluid Mechanics (under review)
- Zhang, D. Yu, Y. Yuan, L. Yue, P. Zhang*, T. Zhang and X. Fan, Hypergolic ignition by head-on collision of TMEDA and WFNA droplets: size effects on multiple time scales, 37thInternational Symposium on Combustion (accepted)
- Wu, P. Zhang*, W. Yao* and X. Fan, Computational realization of multiple flame stabilization modes in DLR strut-injection hydrogen supersonic combustor, 37thInternational Symposium on Combustion (accepted)
(Published or in Press; Corresponding Author *)
1. L. Zhang, Q. Meng, Y. Chi and P. Zhang*, Toward High-Level Theoretical Studies of Large Biodiesel Molecules: An ONIOM [QCISD(T)/CBS:DFT] Study of the Reactions between Unsaturated Methyl Esters (CnH2n−1COOCH3) and Hydrogen Radical. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 122 (2018) 4882-4893.
2. Q. Meng, X. Zhao, L. Zhang*, P. Zhang*, and L. Sheng, A theoretical kinetics study on low-temperature reactions of methyl acetate radicals with molecular oxygen. Combustion and Flame, 196 (2018) 66-75.
3.X. Zhu, X. Xia, and P. Zhang*, Near-field Flow Stability of Buoyant Methane/Air Inverse Diffusion Flame. Combustion and Flame, 191 (2018)66-75.
4. D. Yu and P. Zhang*, Circulation-controlled firewhirl with differential diffusion. Combustion and Flame, 189 (2018) 288–299.
5. L.Y. Yue, Y. Jia, X. Xu, X. Zhang, and P. Zhang, Effects of Cowl Shock on the Self-starting Characteristics of Hypersonic Inlets. Aerospace Science and Technology, 74 (2018) 72-80.
6. K. Sun, P. Zhang, Z. Che, and T. Wang, Marangoni-flow-induced partial coalescence of a droplet on a liquid/air interface. Physical Review Fluids 3, 023602 (2018).
7. K. Sun, P. Zhang*, M. Jia, and T. Wang, Collision-induced jet-like mixing for droplets of unequal-sizes. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 120 (2018) 218-227.
8. X. Xia, C. He, J. Zhao, D. Yu, and P. Zhang*, Vortex-Ring-Induced Internal Mixing Upon the Coalescence of Initially Stationary Droplets. Physical Review Fluids, 2, 113607 (2017).
9. Z. Zhang and P. Zhang*, Kinetic Energy Recovery and Interface Hysteresis of Bouncing Droplets after Inelastic Head-on Collision, Physics of Fluids, 2017. 29, 103306.
10. K. Wu, P. Zhang*, W. Yao, and X. Fan, Numerical Investigation on Flame Stablization in DLR Hydrogen Supersonic Combustor with Strut Injection. Combustion Science and Technology, 2017. 189(12): p. 2154-2179.
11. Z. Zhang, P. Zhang*, and Z. Zhao, Impingement and Combustion of Sprays in a Model Opposed-Piston Compression Ignition Engine. Combustion Science and Technology, 2017. 189(11): p.1943-1965.
12. C. Tang, X. Zhang, L. Song, M. Qin, P. Zhang, J. Li and Z. Huang, Dynamics of droplet impact on solid surface with hierarchical roughness. International Journal of Multiphase Flows, 96: p. 56–69.
13. D. Yu and P. Zhang*, On the flame height of circulation-controlled firewhirl with variable density and in power-law vortices: a mass-diffusivity-ratio model correction. Combustion and Flame, 2017. 182: p. 36–47.
14. D. Yu and P. Zhang*, On the flame height of circulation-controlled firewhirls with variable density. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2017. 36(2): p. 3097-3104.
15. Y. Yuan, T. Zhang, W. Yao, X. Fan*, and P. Zhang, Characterization of flame stabilization modes in an ethylene-fueled supersonic combustor using time-resolved CH* chemiluminescence. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2017. 36(2): p. 2919-2925.
16. L. Shi, H. Shen, P. Zhang, D. Zhang, and C. Wen, Assessment of vibrational non-equilibrium effect on detonation cell size. Combustion Science and Technology, 2017. 189(5): p. 841-853.
17. C.L. Tang, J.Q. Zhao, P. Zhang*, C.K. Law*, and Z.H. Huang, Dynamics of internal jets in the merging of two droplets of unequal sizes. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2016. 795: p. 671-689.
18. Z. Zhang, Y. Chi, L. Shang, P. Zhang*, and Z. Zhao, On the role of droplet bouncing in modeling impinging sprays under elevated pressures. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2016. 102: p. 657-668.
19. D. Zhang, P. Zhang*, Y. Yuan, and T. Zhang, Hypergolic Ignition by Head-on Collision of N,N,N’,N’-tetramethylethylenediamine and White Fuming Nitric Acid Droplets. Combustion and Flame, 2016. 173: p. 276-287.
20. K. Sun, P. Zhang*, C.K. Law*, and T.Y. Wang, Collision Dynamics and Internal Mixing of Droplets of Non-Newtonian Liquids. Physical Review Applied, 2015. 4(5).
21. K. Sun, T.Y. Wang, P. Zhang*, and C.K. Law, Non-Newtonian flow effects on the coalescence and mixing of initially stationary droplets of shear-thinning fluids. Physical Review E, 2015. 91(2).
22. P. Zhang*, L.D. Zhang, and C.K. Law, Density functional theory study of the reactions of 2-azido-N,N-dimethylethanamine with nitric acid and nitrogen dioxide. Combustion and Flame, 2015. 162(1): p. 237-248.
23. X.R. Zhu, R.F. Li*, D.G. Li*, P. Zhang*, and R.Z. Qian, Experimental study and RANS calculation on velocity and temperature of a kerosene-fueled swirl laboratory combustor with and without centerbody air injection. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2015. 89: p. 964-976.
24. Y.C. Li, R.F. Li*, D.G. Li*, J.Y. Bao, and P. Zhang*, Combustion characteristics of a slotted swirl combustor: An experimental test and numerical validation. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 2015. 66: p. 140-147.
25. L.D. Zhang and P. Zhang*, Towards high-level theoretical studies of large biodiesel molecules: an ONIOM [QCISD(T)/CBS:DFT] study of hydrogen abstraction reactions of CnH2n+1COOCmH2m+1 + H. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2015. 17(1): p. 200-208.
26. L.D. Zhang, Q.X. Chen, and P. Zhang*, A theoretical kinetics study of the reactions of methylbutanoate with hydrogen and hydroxyl radicals. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2015. 35: p. 481-489.
27. P. Zhang*, S.J. Klippenstein*, L.B. Harding, H.Y. Sun, and C.K. Law, Secondary channels in the thermal decomposition of monomethylhydrazine (CH3NHNH2). RSC Advances, 2014. 4(108): p. 62951-62964.
28. T.C. Zhang, J. Wang, X.J. Fan*, and P. Zhang, Combustion of Vaporized Kerosene in Supersonic Model Combustors with Dislocated Dual Cavities. Journal of Propulsion and Power, 2014. 30(5): p. 1152-1160.
29. T.C. Zhang, J. Wang, L. Qi, X. Fan*, and P. Zhang, Blowout Limits of Cavity-Stabilized Flame of Supercritical Kerosene in Supersonic Combustors. Journal of Propulsion and Power, 2014. 30(5): p. 1161-1166.
30. P. Zhang, S.J. Klippenstein*, and C.K. Law, Ab Initio Kinetics for the Decomposition of Hydroxybutyl and Butoxy Radicals of n-Butanol. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2013. 117(9): p. 1890-1906.
31. D. Liu, P. Zhang*, C.K. Law, and Y.C. Guo, Collision dynamics and mixing of unequal-size droplets. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2013. 57(1): p. 421-428.
32. H.Y. Sun, P. Zhang, and C.K. Law, Ab Initio Kinetics for Thermal Decomposition of CH3N·NH2, cis-CH3NHN·H, trans-CH3NHN·H, and C·H2NNH2 Radicals. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2012. 116(33): p. 8419-8430.
33. H.Y. Sun, P. Zhang, and C.K. Law, Gas-Phase Kinetics Study of Reaction of OH Radical with CH3NHNH2 by Second-Order Multireference Perturbation Theory. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2012. 116(21): p. 5045-5056.
34. S.W. Yoo, S. Chaudhuri, K.R. Sacksteder, P. Zhang, D.L. Zhu, and C.K. Law, Response of spherical diffusion flames subjected to rotation: Microgravity experimentation and computational simulation. Combustion and Flame, 2012. 159(2): p. 665-672.
35. C. Tang, P. Zhang, and C.K. Law, Bouncing, coalescence, and separation in head-on collision of unequal-size droplets. Physics of Fluids, 2012. 24(2).
36. P. Zhang and C.K. Law, An analysis of head-on droplet collision with large deformation in gaseous medium. Physics of Fluids, 2011. 23(4).
37. P. Zhang and C.K. Law, A Fitting Formula for the Falloff Curves of Unimolecular Reactions, II: Tunneling Effects. International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 2011. 43(1): p. 31-42.
38. P. Zhang, S.J. Klippenstein, H.Y. Sun, and C.K. Law, Ab initio kinetics for the decomposition of monomethylhydrazine (CH3NHNH2). Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2011. 33: p. 425-432.
39. P. Zhang and C.K. Law, Rarefied flow effects on stabilization and extinction of rotating-disk flame at low pressures. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2010. 53(1-3): p. 475-481.
40. T.C. Zhang, P. Zhang, C.K. Law, and F. Qi, CVD in Weakly Rarefied Rotating Disk Flows. Chemical Vapor Deposition, 2009. 15(10-12): p. 274-280.
41. P. Zhang and C.K. Law, A Fitting Formula for the Falloff Curves of Unimolecular Reactions. International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 2009. 41(11): p. 727-734.
42. P. Zhang and C.K. Law, Role of the Knudsen layer in determining surface reaction rates based on sticking coefficients. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2009. 634: p. 113-135.
43. P. Zhang, Binary Droplet Collision in Gasesous Environment. SCIENCE CHINA Physics, Mechanics & Astronomy, 2017. 47(7): 070013. (invited review paper).
44. P. Zhang and G. Yu, Rayleigh-Taylor instability of a liquid drop at high Bond numbers. Chinese Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2006. 38(3): p. 1-7.
45. Y. Zhang, M. Zhang, S. Xu, and P. Zhang, Numerical investigation on blast wave propagation and dynamic response of an explosion vessel. Explosion and Shock Waves, 2003. 23(4): p. 331-336.
46. P. Zhang and G. Yu, Study of one-dimensional flow analysis model of the combustor in supersonic combustion experiments. Experiments and Measurements in Fluid Mechanics 2003. 17(1): p. 88-92.
47. P. Yue, S. Xu, and P. Zhang, Numerical study on a moving shock diffracted over the cylinder/square column in hydrogen air mixture. Chinese Journal of Computational Physics, 2001. 18(1): p. 10-16.