Area of Specialization
Advanced composite structures; Materials characterization; Nanoclay/polymer composites; Nanotechnology; On-road gaseous and particle emissions measurement
Dr. Lam received his BEng degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2003 with first class honours in the University of Hong Kong. Afterwards, he obtained his PhD degree from the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2007. Based on his outstanding research performance, he received the Hong Kong Polytechnic University Postgraduate Scholarship and the Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund Scholarship in 2003 and 2006 respectively. In 2007, Dr. Lam was the Finalist in the Hong Kong Young Scientist Award in the engineering science discipline with his research in the improvement of mechanical properties in polymer-based layered silicates in product developments. After obtained his PhD degree, Dr. Lam worked as a Research Assistant and Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering in the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and the Faculty of Dentistry in the University of Hong Kong respectively. In 2008, he received the Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Research Fellowship from the Australian government and worked as a Visiting Fellow in the School of Material Science in the University of New South Wales (UNSW). During his stay in Australia, Dr. Lam cooperated with the Corporative Research Centre for Advanced Composite Structures (CRC-ACS) in the research of polymer-based composites in glass fiber veils. In 2009, he worked in the Department of Automotive Engineering of the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education after his postdoctoral research in Australia. He has taken part in the vehicle emission on-road testing project with the portable emission measuring systems (PEMS) with the cooperation of the Environmental Protection Department of HKSAR. Dr. Lam joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering in the Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a Teaching Fellow in 2011.
Besides involving in various research projects, Dr. Lam has also assisted in various consultancy projects which included large enterprises in Hong Kong, such as the MTR Corporation Limited (MTRC) and the Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA). Currently, he has been elected as Member of the Institute of Nanotechnology (MION), Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (MSAE), Member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (MASME) and Member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (MIET).
Selected Journal Publications
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Optimization Effect of Micro Hardness by Nanoclay Clusters in Nanoclay/Epoxy Composites. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 2009; 22(2): 213-225.
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Tribological behavior of nanoclay/epoxy composites. Materials Letters, 2007; 61(18), 3863-3866. >
- LAM CK, Lau KT and Zhou LM. Nano-mechanical creep properties of nanoclay/epoxy composite by nano-indentation. Key Engineering Materials, 2007; 334-335: 685-688.
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Enhancement of Hardness and Wear Resistance of Epoxy-based Materials using Clay Nanoparticles. HKIE Transactions, 2007; 14(1).
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Localized elastic modulus distribution of nanoclay/epoxy composites by using nanoindentation. Composite Structures, 2006; 75(1-4): 553-558.
- Ho MW, LAM CK, Lau KT, Ng HL and Hui D. Mechanical properties of epoxy-based composites using nanoclays. Composite Structures, 2006; 75(1-4): 415-421.
- Lau KT, Lu M, Qi JQ, Zhao DD, Cheung HY, LAM CK, Xiao LN and Li HL. Cobalt Hydroxide Colloidal Particles Precipitation on Nanoclay Layers for the Formation of Novel Nanocomposites of Carbon Nanotubes/Nanoclay. Composites Science and Technology, 2006; 66(3-4), 450 V 458.
- Ling HY, Lau KT and LAM CK. Effects of embedded optical fibre on mode II fracture behaviours of woven composite laminates. Composites Part B: Engineering, 2005; 36(6-7), 534 V 543.
- LAM CK, Lau KT, Cheung HY and Ling HY. Effect of ultrasound sonication in nanoclay clusters of nanoclay/epoxy composites. Materials Letters, 2005; 59(11), 1369 V 1372.
- Lau KT, Lu M, LAM CK, Cheung HY, Sheng FL and Li HL. Thermal and mechanical properties of single-walled carbon nanotube bundle-reinforced epoxy nanocomposites: the role of solvent for nanotube dispersion. Composites Science and Technology, 2005; 65(5), 719 V 725.
- LAM CK, Cheung HY, Lau KT, Zhou LM, Ho MW and Hui D. Cluster size effect in hardness of nanoclay/epoxy composites. Composites Part B: Engineering, 2005; 36(3), 263 V 269.
- LAM CK, Tang ST, Leung TY, Fung MK, Wong PL and Wong HL. Vehicle emission measurements using PEMS V some experience from Hong Kong. The Proceeding of the International Conference on Environment 2010 (ICENV 2010), 13 December 2010 V 15 December 2010; Page 142.
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Modeling of tribological behavior of nanoclay/epoxy composite. The Proceeding of the 16th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM16), 2007, Kyoto, Japan; Accepted.
- LAM CK, Lau KT and Zhou LM. Micro-mechanical properties of clay-cluster/polymer composite. The 5th Asian-Australasian Conference on Composite Materials (ACCM-5), 27-30 November, 2006, Hong Kong; Page 20.
- Li XF, Lau KT and LAM CK. Nano-mechanical properties of coiled carbon nanotube reinforced epoxy composites. The 5th Asian-Australasian Conference on Composite Materials (ACCM-5), 27-30 November, 2006, Hong Kong; Page 21.
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Localized mechanical properties of nanoclay/epoxy composites by nanoindentation. The Thirteenth International Conference on Composite Structures (ICCS/13), Melbourne 14 – 16 November 2005; Article No. 109.
- LAM CK and Lau KT. Effect of nanoclay clusters in mechanical properties of nanoclay/epoxy composites. The Proceeding of the 15th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM15), 27 June 2005- 1 July 2005, Durban, South Africa; Page 31-32.
- 2009 PEMS Vehicle Emission Testing
Company: HKIVE (Automotive Engineering)
- 2007 Detail Assessment on Point Machine Joints
Company: Kowloon-canton Railway Corporation, KCRC
- 2007 Chemical Tests on Corroded Feeder Wires
Company: MTR Corporation Limited (MTRC)
- 2006 Investigation on the cause of failure of broken shaft
Company: Biwater Man Lee Ltd.
- 2006 Investigation on the cause of failure of point machine bolts
Company: Kowloon-canton Railway Corporation, KCRC
- 2005 Investigation on the root cause of failure of chiller no. 3 at the PTB of HKIA
Company: Airport Authority Hong Kong.
- 2005 Investigation on the mechanical properties of two steel plates
Company: Sound Blast Sonic Power Co., Ltd.
- 2004 Investigation on the cause of failure of ice cutting blades
Company: Chiaphua Industries Limited.
- 2004 Investigation on the cause of failure of steel cutting blades
Company: Simatelex Manufactory Co., Ltd.