Area of Specialization
Multiphase and multicomponent complex systems with micro- and nanoscale; Aerosol science & technology; Combustion & emissions formation; Transport and formation of nano/microparticles and gaseous pollutants; On-road vehicle emission measurement, control and modelling techniques; Thermal-fluids science & engineering.
Prof. Chan has secured various multi-disciplinary research funds including Research Grants Council (RGC)/Competitive Earmarked Research Grant/General Research Fund (RGC/CERG/GRF), Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF), Environment and Conservation Funds (ECF), British Council research scheme fund and high-level consultancy projects from the Environmental Protection Department of the Hong Kong Government and industries.
He was elected as a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, USA (FASME), Fellow of the Society of Automotive Engineers International, USA (FSAE), Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK (FIMechE) and Fellow of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Hong Kong (FHKIE).
He also received the 2012 First Class Natural Science Award (自然科學一等獎) on the original research theme: “Flow Mechanism in the Multiphase and Multicomponent Complex System with Micro-Nano Scale multicomponent complex systems (微納尺度多相與多組分復雜系統中流動機理的研究)”, bestowed by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China (中華人民共和國教育部). He has published extensively in top-tier international journals (see details in Google Scholar and Scopus citations).
He has served/served as Editor-in-Chief/Editor/Guest Editor and Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of various journals and engineering transactions/technical magazine (i.e. Editor/Guest Editor of Aerosol and Air Quality Research, Editor-in-Chief of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) Transactions, Editor (Mechanical Discipline) of HKIE Transactions, Editorial Advisory Board Member of Flow, Turbulence and Combustion etc.), as Member of the International Scientific Committee and Session Chairman of the International Conference/Symposium, as Chair and Immediate Chair of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)- Hong Kong Section, as Chairman & Honorary Advisor of SAE Asia Congress, as Chairman of HKIE Transactions Committee, as Chair and Honorary Chair of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) International- Hong Kong, as appointed Member of the Gas Safety Appeal Board Panel & Member of the Builders’ Lifts and Tower Working Platforms (Safety) Appeal Board Panel, Hong Kong SAR Government, as External Reviewer of Research Grant, as appointed Specialist for both Engineering, and Science & Technology of Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ), as Assessor of professional assessment/membership in professional engineering institutions, etc. He has also served as Reviewer for many top-tier international journals over the years (i.e., Aerosol Science and Technology, Journal of Aerosol Science, Aerosol and Air Quality Research, Atmospheric Environment, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, Environmental Pollution, Science of the Total Environment; Journal of Environmental Management, Fuels & Energy, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, International of Heat and Fluid Flow; Experiments in Fluids, Experimental Fluid Mechanics, ASME Transaction- Journal of Fluids Engineering, Numerical Heat Transfer, Proceedings of IMechE, Powder Technology, Fibers and Polymers, Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics and Transactions of HKIE etc.).
He has extensive teaching experience in a wide range of subjects from sub-degree to postgraduate level (i.e., Combustion & Pollution Control, Combustion Fundamentals, Combustion Applications, Emission & Pollution Control, Prevention & Control of Vehicular Emissions, Fuels & Engines, Heat and Mass Transfer, Applied Heat Transfer & Combustion, Thermofluid Mechanics/Engineering Thermofluids/Thermodynamics & Fluid Mechanics/Thermofluids, Transfer Processes, Air Conditioning for Indoor Thermal and Environmental Quality, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Engineering, Energy & Flow Systems, Computer-aided Design and Thermal Systems, Mechanical Services, Engineering & the Environment, Development of Green Products, Design for Sustainable Development, Energy Resources & Conversion, Engineering Dimension (now known as Society and the Engineer), Engineering Management, Design Project and Final Year Student/Capstone Project).
He is now Group Leader of Thermofluids and Combustion, Director of Consortium for Combustion & Pollution Control, Member of Departmental Management Committee and Member of Departmental Space Allocation Committee. He has also served as Chairman of Board of Examiners and External Examiner for MPhil/EngD/PhD students, and served as External Examiner of Higher Diploma in Automotive Engineering courses. He was Scheme Leader of BEng (Hons) Scheme in Mechanical Engineering, Chairman of WIE Committee, Deputy Director of Combustion and Pollution Control Research Centre, Deputy Programme Leader of BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering, Chairman of Departmental Postgraduate Programme Committee, Chairman of MSc in Mechanical Engineering Award Committee and Programme Leader of MSc in Automotive Engineering Design.
Applications are invited for high caliber candidates as PhD Student/Research Assistant/Research Associate/Post-doctoral Fellow/Research Fellow to join the research team.
Selected Research Projects
- Development of a Novel Operator Splitting Framework on Aerosol Dynamics
- Experimental Study and Numerical Simulation of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants in Porous Media Combustion
- Development of a Novel Schemes for Solving Complex Aerosol-related Problems and Multi-scale Agglomerates in Turbulent Combustion Flows
- Modeling of Particle Transport in Fluid Flow
- A Multiscale Aerosol Dynamics and Pollutant Dispersion Model
- Effect of Coherent Structure on Particle Coagulation in the Vehicular Exhaust Pipe
- Vehicular Aerosol Concentration and Dispersion from On-road Vehicles Using the Multi-scale Simulation
- Experimental Investigation on the Particulate and Gaseous Emissions of a Diesel Engine with Diesel/Methanol
- Characteristics of Flow and Exhaust Pollutant Dispersion from On-road Vehicles
- Numerical Study on the Hydrodynamic Instability of a Moving Vehicular Exhaust Particle Jet Plume
- Pollutant Concentrations of Moving Vehicles in Urban Road Microenvironments
- Development of Diesel Engine with Diesel/Methanol Compound Combustion
- Remote Sensing of Gaseous Emissions from Vehicles
- Gaseous and Particulate Emissions from Vehicular Engines
- Measurement and Dispersion Prediction of Ultra-fine Particle and Gaseous Emissions from On-road Vehicles in Hong Kong
- Forced Convection and Fluid Friction in Horizontal Triangular Duct with Uniformly Ribbed or Grooved Internal Surface
- Heat Transfer and Turbulence Characteristics of Jet Impinging on a Convex Surface
- A Conjugate Conduction, Mixed Convection and Radiation Problem in the Cooling of Electronic Packages
- Jiang, X. and Chan T.L. (2021) A New Weighted Fraction Monte Carlo Method for Particle Coagulation, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, Early access: Feb. 2021.
- Shen J., Yu M., Chan T.L., Tu C., Liu Y. (2020) Efficient Method of Moments for Simulating Atmospheric Aerosol Growth: Model Description, Verification, and Application. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres125(13), Article Number: e2019JD032172.
- Zhou K., Jiang X. and Chan T.L. (2020) Error Analysis in Stochastic Solutions of Population Balance Equations. Applied Mathematics Modelling80, 531-552.
- Liu S.Y., Chan T.L., Lin J.Z. and Yu M.Z. (2019) Numerical Study on Fractal-like Soot Aggregate Dynamics of Turbulent Ethylene-oxygen Flame. Fuel256, Article Number: UNSP 115857.
- Liu H.M. and Chan T.L. (2019) A Coupled LES-Monte Carlo Method for Simulating Aerosol Dynamics in a Turbulent Planar Jet. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow 30(2), 855-881.
- Liu S.Y., Chan T.L., He Z., Lu Y.Y., Jiang X. and Wei F.Z. (2019) Soot Formation and Evolution Characteristics in Premixed Methane/ethylene-oxygen-argon Burner-stabilized Stagnation Flames. Fuel 242, 871-882.
- Liu S.Y., Chan T.L. and Liu H.J. (2019) Numerical Simulation of Particle Formation and Evolution in a Vehicle Exhaust Plume using the Bimodal Taylor Expansion Method of Moments. Particuology 43, 46-55.
- Liu H.M. and Chan T.L. (2018) Two-component Aerosol Dynamic Simulation Using Differentially Weighted Operator Splitting Monte Carlo Method. Applied Mathematical Modelling62, 237-253.
- Chan T.L., Liu S.Y. and Yue Y. (2018). Nanoparticle Formation and Growth in Turbulent Flows using the Bimodal TEMOM. Powder Technology323, 507-517.
- Liu H.M. and Chan T.L. (2018) A Differentially Weighted Operator Splitting Monte Carlo Method for Simulating Complex Aerosol Dynamic Processes. Particuology 36, 114-126.
- Liu S.Y. and Chan T.L. (2017) A Coupled CFD-Monte Carlo Method for Aerosol Dynamics in Turbulent Flows. Aerosol Science and Technology51(30), 269-281.
- Liu S.Y. and Chan T.L. (2017) A Stochastically Weighted Operator Splitting Monte Carlo (SWOSMC) Method for the Numerical Simulation of Complex Aerosol Dynamic Processes. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow27(1) 263-278.
- Brimblecombe P., Townsend T., Lau C.F., Rakowska A., Chan T.L., Mocnik G. and Ning Z. (2015) Through-tunnel Estimates of Vehicle Fleet Emission Factors. Atmospheric Environment123, 180-189.
- Lau C.F., Rakowska A., Townsend T., Brimblecombe P., Chan T.L., Yam Y.S., Mocnik G. and Ning Z. (2015) Evaluation of Diesel Fleet Emissions and Control Policies from Plume Chasing Measurements of On-road Vehicles. Atmospheric Environment122, 171-182.
- Yu M.Z. and Chan T.L. (2015) A Bimodal Moment Method Model for Submicron Fractal-likeAgglomerates Undergoing Brownian Coagulation. Journal of Aerosol Science88, 19-34.
- Zhou K. and Chan T.L. (2014) Analytical Approximation Schemes for Mean Nucleation Rate in Turbulent Flows. Aerosol Science and Technology48(55), 459-466.
- Wang X.W., Zhou Y., Pin Y.F. and Chan T.L. (2013) Turbulent Near Wake of an Ahmed Vehicle Model. Experiments in Fluids54(4) AN: 1490, 19pp.
- Huang J.F. and Chan T.L. (2012) Vehicle Queue Effect on the Characteristics of Air Flow, and Exhaust Scalar Dispersion and Distribution Fields in the Vehicle Wake. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer55(25-26), 7981-7990.
- Lin J., Liu S. and Chan T. (2012) Nanoparticle Migration in a Fully Developed Turbulent Pipe Flow Considering the Particle Coagulation. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering20(4) 679-685.
- Liu Y.H., He Z. and Chan T.L. (2011) Three-Dimensional Simulation of Exhaust Particle Dispersion and Concentration Fields in the Near-Wake Region of the Studied Ground Vehicle. Aerosol Science and Technology45(8), 1019-1030.
- Zhou K. and Chan T.L. (2011) Simulation of Homogeneous Particle Nucleation in a Free Turbulent Jet. Aerosol Science and Technology45(8), 963-977.
- Qian L.J., Lin J.Z., Xiong H.B. and Chan T.L. (2011) Theoretical Investigation of the Influence of Liquid Physical Properties on Effervescent Atomization Performance. Journal of Fluids Engineering-Transactions of the ASME133(10), Art. No.: 101205. 11 pp.
- Zhang Z.H., Tsang K.S., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L. and Yao C.D. (2011) Effect of Fumigation Methanol and Ethanol on the Gaseous and Particulate Emissions of a Direct-injection Diesel Engine. Atmospheric Environment45(11), 2001-2008.
- Zhang Z.H., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L. and Yao C.D. (2011) Experimental Study on Particulate Emissions of a Methanol Fumigated Diesel Engine Equipped with Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. Aerosol Science and Technology45(2), 262-271.
- Tsang K.S., Zhang Z.H., Cheung C.S. and Chan T.L. (2010) Reducing Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Fumigation Ethanol and a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. Energy & Fuels24(11), 6156-6165.
- Chan T.L., Liu Y.H. and Chan C.K. (2010) Direct Quadrature Method of Moments for Exhaust Particle Formation and Evolution in the Wake of the Studied Ground Vehicle. Journal of Aerosol Science41(6), 553-568.
- Zhang Z.H., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L. and Yao C.D. (2010) Experimental Investigation of Regulated and Unregulated Emissions from a Diesel Engine Fueled with Euro V Diesel Fuel and Fumigation Methanol. Atmospheric Environment44(8), 1054-1061.
- Zhang Z.H., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L. and Yao C.D. (2010) Experimental Investigation on Regulated and Unregulated Emissions of a Diesel/methanol Compound Combustion Engine with and without Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. Science of the Total Environment408(4), 865–872.
- Cheung C.S., Zhang Z.H., Chan T.L., Yao C.D. (2009) Investigation on the Effect of Port-Injected Methanol on the Performance and Emissions of a Diesel Engine at Different Engine Speeds. Energy & Fuels23(11), 5684-5694.
- Huang J.F., Chan T.L. and Zhou Y. (2009) Three-dimensional Flow Structure Measurements Behind a Queue of Studied Model Vehicles. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow30(4), 647-657.
- Zhang Z.H., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L. and Yao C.D. (2009) Emission Reduction from Diesel Engine Using Fumigation Methanol and Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. Science of the Total Environment407(15), 4497-4505.
- Yu M.Z., Lin J.Z., Chan T.L. (2009) Numerical Simulation for Nucleated Vehicle Exhaust Particulate Matters via the TEMOM/LES Method. International Journal of Modern Physics C20(3), 399-421.
- Lin J.Z., Qian L.J., Xiong H.B., Chan T.L. (2009) Effects of Operating Conditions on Droplet Deposition onto Surface of Atomization Impinging Spray. Surface & Coatings Technology203(12), 1733-1740.
- Chan T.L., Gosse K., Zhou Y., Lee S.C., Wang X.W. and Huang J.F. (2008) Effect of Rear Slant Angle on Flow Structures, and Pollutant Dispersion and Concentration Fields in the Wake of the Studied Model Vehicle. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer51(25-26), 6180-6193.
- Yu M.Z., Lin J.Z. and Chan T.L. (2008) A New Moment Method for Solving the Coagulation Equation for Particles in Brownian Motion. Aerosol Science and Technology42(9), 705-713
- Chan T.L., Luo D.D., Cheung C.S. and Chan C.K. (2008) Large Eddy Simulation of Flow Structures and Pollutant Dispersion in the Near-wake Region of the Studied Ground Vehicle for Different Driving Conditions. Atmospheric Environment42(21), 5317-5339.
- Cheng C.H., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L., Lee S.C., Yao C.D. and Tsang K.S. (2008) Comparison of Emissions of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Operating on Biodiesel with Emulsified and Fumigated Methanol. Fuel87(10-11), 1870-1879.
- Cheung C.S., Cheng C.H., Chan T.L., Lee S.C., Yao C.D. and Tsang K.S. (2008) Emissions Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Fumigation Methanol. Energy & Fuels22(2), 906-914.
- Yu M.Z., Lin J.Z. and Chan T.L. (2008) Effect of Precursor Loading on Non-spherical TiO2 Nanoparticle Synthesis in a Diffusion Flame Reactor. Chemical Engineering Science63(9), 2317-2329.
- Yao C.D., Cheung C.S., Cheng C.H., Wang Y.S., Chan T.L. and Lee S.C. (2008) Effect of Diesel/methanol Compound Combustion on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emissions. Energy Conversion and Management49(6), 1696-1704.
- Chan T.L., Bao F.B., Lin J.Z., Zhou Y. and Chan C.K. (2008) Temporal Stability of a Particle-laden Jet. International Journal of Multiphase Flow34(2), 176-187.
- Yu M.Z., Lin J.Z., Chan T. (2008) Numerical Simulation of Nanoparticle Synthesis in Diffusion Flame Reactor. Powder Technology181(1), 9-20.
- Cheng C.H., Cheung C.S., Chan T.L., Lee S.C., Yao C.D. (2008) Experimental Investigation on the Performance, Gaseous and Particulate Emissions of a Methanol Fumigated Diesel Engine. Science of the Total Environment389(1), 115-124.
- Zhou K, Lin J.Z. and Chan T.L. (2007) Solution of 3D Fiber Orientation in 2D Fiber Suspension Flows. Physics of Fluids19(11) Art. No. 113309 12pp.
- Ning Z. and Chan T.L. (2007) On-road Remote Sensing of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) Vehicle Emissions Measurement and Emission Factors Estimation. Atmospheric Environment41(39) 9099-9110.
- Chan, T.L., Ning Z., Wang J.S., Cheung C.S., Leung C.W. and Hung W.T. (2007) Gaseous and Particle Emission Factors from the Selected On-road Petrol/Gasoline, Diesel and Liquefied Petroleum Gas Vehicles. Energy & Fuels 21(5), 2710-2718.
- Chan T.L. and Cheng X.B. (2007) Numerical Modeling and Experimental Study of Combustion and Soot Formation in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine. Energy & Fuels21(3), 1483-1492.
- Chan T.L., Lin J.Z., Zhou K. and Chan C.K. (2006) Simultaneous Numerical Simulation of Nano and Fine Particle Coagulation and Dispersion in a Round Jet. Journal of Aerosol Science37(11), 1545-1561.
- Wang J.S., Chan T.L., Ning Z., Leung C.W., Cheung C.S. and Hung W.T. (2006) Roadside Measurement and Prediction of CO and PM2.5 Dispersion from On-road Vehicles in Hong Kong. Transportation Research Part D- Transport and Environment11(4), 242-249.
- Leung D.Y.C., Luo Y. and Chan T.L. (2006) Optimization of Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel. Energy & Fuels20(3), 1015- 1023.
- Dong G. and Chan T.L. (2006) Large Eddy Simulation of Flow Structures and Pollutant Dispersion in the Near-Wake Region of a Light-duty Diesel Vehicle. Atmospheric Environment40(6), 1104-1116.
- Wang J.S., Chan T.L., Cheung C.S., Leung C.W. and Hung W.T. (2006) Three-dimensional Pollutant Concentration Dispersion from a Vehicular Exhaust Plume in the Real Atmosphere. Atmospheric Environment40(3), 484-497.
- Dong G. and Chan T.L. (2006) Particle Number and Size Distributions along the Vehicular Exhaust Plume from a Light-duty Diesel Vehicle. Transactions of Chinese Society for Internal Combustion Engine (CSICE)24(1) 50-56 (English Edition).
- Chan T.L. and Ning Z. (2005) On-road Remote Sensing of Diesel Vehicle Emissions Measurement and Emission Factors Estimation in Hong Kong. Atmospheric Environment39(36), 6843-6856.
- Zhang L.X., Lin J.Z. and Chan T.L. (2005) Orientation Distribution of Cylindrical Particles Suspended in a Turbulent Pipe Flow. Physics of Fluids17(9), AN 093105, 8pp.
- Luo D.D., Leung C.W., Chan T.L. and Wong W.O. (2005) Simulation of Turbulent Flow and Forced Convection in Triangular Duct with Internal Ribbed Surfaces. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications 48(5), 447-459.
- Luo D.D., Leung C.W., Chan T.L. and Wong W.O. (2005) Flow and Forced Convection Characteristics of Turbulent Flow through Parallel Plates with Periodic Transverse Ribs. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications48(1), 43-58.
- Luo D.D., Leung C.W. and Chan T.L. (2004) Forced Convection and Flow Friction Characteristics of Air-cooled Horizontal Equilateral Triangular Ducts with Ribbed Internal Surfaces. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer47(25),5439-5450.
- Chan T.L., Ning Z., Leung C.W., Cheung C.S., Hung W.T. and Dong G. (2004) On-road Remote Sensing of Petrol Vehicle Emissions Measurement and Emission Factors Estimation in Hong Kong. Atmospheric Environment38(14), 2055-2066 & 38(21), 3541.
- Wong C.P., Chan T.L. and Leung C.W. (2003) Characterisation of Diesel Exhaust Particle Number and Size Distributions using Mini-dilution Tunnel and Ejector-Diluter Measurement Techniques. Atmospheric Environment37(31), 4435-4446.
- Chan T.L., Zhou Y., Liu M.H. and Leung C.W. (2003) Mean Flow and Turbulence Measurements of the Impingement Wall Jet on a Semi-circular Convex Surface. Experiments in Fluids34(1), 140-149.
- Chan T.L., Dong G., Leung C.W., Cheung C.S. and Hung W.T. (2002) Validation of a Two-dimensional Pollutant Dispersion Model in an Isolated Street Canyon. Atmospheric Environment36(5), 861-872.
- Chan T.L., Leung C.W., Jambunathan K., Ashforth-Frost S., Zhou Y. and Liu M.H. (2002) Heat Transfer Characteristics of a Slot Jet Impinging on a Semi-circular Convex Surface. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 45(5), 993-1006.
- Chan T.L., Dong G., Cheung C.S., Leung C.W., Wong C.P. and Hung W.T. (2001) Monte Carlo Simulation of Nitrogen Oxides Dispersion from a Vehicular Exhaust Plume and its Sensitivity Studies. Atmospheric Environment35(35), 6117-6127.
- Chan T.L. (2001) Evaluation of Viewing-angle Effect on Determination of Local Heat Transfer Coefficients on a Curved Surface using Transient and Heated-coating Liquid-Crystal Methods. Experiments in Fluids31(4), 447-456.
- Chan T.L., Ashforth-Frost S. and Jambunathan K. (2001) Calibrating for Viewing Angle Effect during Heat Transfer Measurements on a Curved Surface. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer44(12), 2209-2223.
- Chen S., Chan T.L., Leung C.W. and Yu B. (2000) Numerical Prediction of Laminar Forced Convection in Triangular Ducts with Unstructured Triangular Grid Method. Numerical Heat Transfer Part A: Applications38(2), 209-224.
- Chen S., Chan T.L., Leung C.W., Liu, M.A., Pan K.Y. and Zhou L.B. (2000) Multi-dimensional Numerical Simulation of Heat Radiation in Direct Injection Diesel Engines. of the Instn. Mech. Engrs. Part D, J. of Automobile Engineering 214(4), 453-466.
- Leung C.W., Chen S. and Chan T.L. (2000) Numerical Simulation of Laminar Forced Convection in an Air-cooled Horizontal Printed-circuit Board Assembly. Numerical Heat Transfer Part A: Applications37(4), 373-393.
- Liu Y., Leung C.W., Chan T.L. and Phan-Thien N. (2000) An Optimum Spacing Problem for Five Chips on a Horizontal Substrate in an Enclosure- Natural Convection. International Journal of Computational Engineering Science1(1), 167-186.
- Liu Y., Phan-Thien N., Leung C.W. and Chan T.L. (1999) An Optimum Spacing Problem for Five Chips on a Horizontal Substrate in a Vertically Insulated Enclosure. Computational Mechanics24(4), 310-318.
- Chan T.L., Jambunathan K. and Ashforth-Frost S. (1999) Jet Impingement Heat Transfer- A Bibliography: 1870-1977. Previews of Heat and Mass Transfer25(5), 464-473.
- Chan T.L., Jambunathan K. and Ashforth-Frost S. (1999) Jet Impingement Heat Transfer- A Bibliography: 1978-1998. Previews of Heat and Mass Transfer 25(6), 558-570.