Area of Specialization
Laser diagnostics; Structural dynamics; Signal processing
W.O. Wong was awarded a BEng (Hons) degree in mechanical engineering by the Hong Kong Polytechnic in 1987. He worked as a mechanical engineer in the local industry from 1987-1990. He joined the then Hong Kong Polytechnic (now upgraded as The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) in 1990 and has since worked as a lecturer with the Mechanical Engineering Department. Through part-time studies, he obtained a MSc degree in Precision Engineering in 1992 and a PhD in 1997. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1999 and associate professor in 2010. His research interests are vibration analysis and optical metrology with digital holographic interferometry.
- WO Wong, YL Cheung and L Cheng (2013), Modal Power Flow Analysis of a Damaged Orthotropic Plate, Advances in Structural Engineering, 16, 115-125.
- YL Cheung, WO Wong and L Cheng (2012), Optimization of a hybrid vibration absorber for vibration control of structures under random force excitation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 332, 494–509.
- YL Cheung, WO Wong and L Cheng (2012), Minimization of the mean square velocity response of dynamic structures using an active-passive dynamic vibration absorber, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 132, 197-207.
- YL Cheung, WO Wong and L Cheng (2012), Design optimization of a damped hybrid vibration absorber, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 331, 750–766.
- MH Tso, J Yuan and WO Wong (2012), Suppression of random vibration in flexible structures using a hybrid vibration absorber, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 331, 974–986.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2011), H-infinity optimization of a variant design of the dynamic vibration absorber - Revisited and new results, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 330, 3901–3912.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2011), H2 optimization of a non-traditional dynamic vibration absorber for vibration control of structures under random force excitation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 330, 1039-1044.
- XW Wang, and Y Zhou WO Wong, (2011), Turbulent Flow Structure and Swirl Number Effect in a Cyclone, Journal of Fluids Engineering,?133, 111103.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2009), Design of a non-traditional dynamic vibration absorber, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 126, 564-567.
- WO Wong, XQ Wang and L Cheng, (2009), Modal power flow analysis of a damaged plate, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 320, 84-100.
- XQ Wang, WO Wong and L Cheng (2009), Modal Power Flow with Application to Damage Detection, International Journal of Engineering Science, 47, 512–523.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong, (2009), H and H2 optimizations of dynamic vibration absorber for suppressing vibrations in plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 320, 29-42.
- WO Wong and YL Cheung, (2008), Optimal design of a damped dynamic vibration absorber for vibration control of structure excited by ground motion, Engineering Structures, 30, 282–286.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2008), Isolation of Bending Vibration in Beams with Dynamic Vibration Absorbers, Journal of Vibration and Control, 14, 1231-1246.
- JA Qi, WO Wong, CW Leung and DW Yuen (2008), Temperature Field Measurement of a Premixed Butane/Air Slot Laminar Flame Jet with Mach-Zehnder Interferometry, Applied Thermal Engineering, 28, 1806–1812.
- WO Wong, S L Tang, YL Cheung and L Cheng (2007), Design of a dynamic vibration absorber for vibration isolation of beams under distributed loading, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 301, 898-908.
- WO Wong, XW Wang and Y Zhou, (2007), Turbulent flow structure in a cylinder-on-cone cyclone, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 129, 1179-1185.
- WC Lai, Y Zhou, WO Wong and XW Wang, (2007), Effect of an oscillating cylinder on flow in a cylinder array, Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems Series B: Applications & Algorithms 14 (S8) 63-77.
- JA Qi , CW Leung, WO Wong and SD Probert (2006), Temperature Fields Measurement of a Premixed Butane/air Circular Impinging Flame with Reference Beam Interferometry, Applied Energy, 83, 1307-1316.
- DD Luo, CW.Leung, TL Chan and WO Wong (2005), Simulation of turbulent flow and forced convection in a trinagular duct with internal ribbed surfaces, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, 48: 447-459.
- DD Luo, CW Leung, TL Chan and WO Wong (2005), Flow and forced-convection characteristics of turbulent flow through parallel plates with periodic transverse ribs, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, 48: 43-58.
- WO Wong, P Feng, SR Reid and KT Chan (2004), Simple Full-field Method for the Elastic Characterization of Orthotropic Composite Plates, AIAA Journal, 42, 2216-2224.
- LH Yam, Z Wei, L Cheng and WO Wong (2004), Numerical analysis of multi-layer composite plates with internal delamination, Computers & Structures, 82, 627-637.
- WO Wong (2003), Comments on The effects of distributed mass loading on plate vibration behavior - Author's reply, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 264, 982.
- WO Wong (2002), The effects of distributed mass loading on plate vibration behaviour, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 252, 577-583.
- WO Wong (2002), A simple speckle shearing interferometer, Optics and Laser Technology, 34,399-403.
- LH Yam, YY Li and WO Wong (2002), Sensitivity studies of parameters for damage detection of plate-like structures using static and dynamic approaches, Engineering Structures, 24, 11, 1465-1475.
- YY Li, L Cheng, LH Yam and WO Wong (2002), Identification of damage locations for plate-like structures using damage sensitive indices: strain modal approach, Computers & Structures, 80, 1881-1894.
- JW Shu, Q Lu, WO Wong and HC Huang (2002) Parallelization strategies for Monte Carlo simulations of thin film deposition, Computer Physics Communications, 144, 34-45.
- JW Shu, WM Zheng, Q Lu, HC Huang, WO Wong (2002) Parallel computing for lattice Monte Carlo simulation of large-scale thin film growth, Science in China Series F, 45 (2): 103-110.
- WO Wong, LH Yam, YY Li, LY Law and KT Chan (2000), Vibration analysis of annular plates using mode subtraction method, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 232, 807-822.
- WO Wong (1999), Visualization of Dynamic Stress and Strain Fields in Plate Vibrations, Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 7, 99-106.
- WO Wong and KT Chan (1998), Quantitative Vibration Amplitude Measurement with Time-average Digital Speckle Pattern Interferometry, Optics and Laser Technology, 30, 317-324.
- WO Wong (1998), Vibration modeshape visualization with a time average TV holography system, The International Journal of Engineering Education, 14, 241-247 (http://www.ijee.dit.ie/articles/Vol14-4/ijee1010.pdf).
- WO Wong and KT Chan (1998), Measurement of Modal Damping by an Electronic Speckle Shearing Interferometer, Optics and Laser Technology, 30, 113-120.
- WO Wong, KT Chan and TP Leung (1997), Identification of anti-nodes and zero-surface-strain contours of flexural vibration with time-average speckle pattern shearing interferometry, Applied Optics, 106, 3776-3784.
- WO Wong, KT Chan and TP Leung (1997), Contrast and sensitivity of the vibration fringes in time-averaged electronic speckle pattern interferometry: effect of variations of force level, Optics and Laser Technology, 29, 179-185.
- WO Wong (1997), Vibration Analysis by Laser Speckle Correlation, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 28, 277-286.
- KT Chan, TP Leung and WO Wong (1996), Free Vibration of Simply Supported Beams Partially Loaded with Distributed Mass, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 191, 590-597.
Consultancy report (2007): 'Vibration analysis of a vision machine for electronic component inspection' for ICOS Vision Systems Ltd. (P07-0006)
Consultancy report (2007): 'Expert advice on laser speed detectors' for Rights of Taxi Owners and Drivers Association Ltd. (P06-0430)
Consultancy report (2006): 'Analysis of the tensile strength of a safety device for residential aluminum windows' for King Tat Industrial Company (P06-0009)
Consultancy report (2003):'Vibration Test of a Dental Hygiene Apparatus' for Elite Electrical Instruments Ltd. (P02-0538)
Consultancy report (2002): 'Evaluation of the acoustical cleaning performance of a sonic toothbrush device' for Fairform Mfg. Co. Ltd. (R01-0132, P02-0003)
Consultancy report (2001): 'Evaluation of the acoustical cleaning performance of a sonic toothbrush device' for Elite Electrical Instruments Ltd.
Acoustics & Vibration
FIV & Vibroacoustics