Piloted in 2019, GBA Startup Postdoc Programme 2022 @Hong Kong/Shenzhen (“the Programme”) offers dual career prospects for recent doctoral graduates to carry out translational research while exploring startup opportunities in Hong Kong or Shenzhen.
The Programme features global recruitment of postdocs with strong passion and vision to commercialise research technologies through startups, leveraging support from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (“PolyU”) and its partners’ resources and network in Greater Bay Area.
The structured programme provides competitive salary and benefits, entrepreneurship training, dual mentorship by academia and industrialists, and preferential IP licensing terms to transform doctoral graduates into technopreneurs and translate research outcomes into real-world impact.
- Doctorate graduates attained a doctoral degree for no more than three years* or doctoral candidates who will attain their degrees within six months
- Excellent applied research capabilities and determination to turn research outcomes into products/services
- Strong passion and vision to commercialise the research technology through start-up (those with past or current entrepreneurial experience are preferred)
- Good English reading and writing skills
*Exceptions may apply for outstanding applicants of the Hong Kong programme subject to the University's common practice and the assessment panel's decision.
Extra requirements for Shenzhen Programme
- Aged 35 or below
- Only PhD graduates are likely to be accepted
- Good command of written and spoken Chinese is a definite advantage
Note: all applicants shall secure the nomination of a PolyU academic supervisor upon application submission.
Basic Benefit & Support:
- HK$366,000/ RMB￥300,000Annual Package
- Full Statutory Benefits (e.g. MPF and medical insurance in Hong Kong, etc.)
- Dual Mentorship by PolyU Academic Supervisor (s) and industrial Mentor
- Free Workspace at PolyU InnoHub @Hong Kong/Shenzhen
- Entrepreneurship Training
- Working Visa for overseas candidates
- One-stop coordinated service support by Knowledge Transfer and Entrepreneurship (KTEO), PolyU
- Dual mentorship
- Investor network
- Fast-track to funding schemes or incubation programmes
Other funding opportunities from government and University, if applicable, include:
- Entrepreneurship support opportunities under PolyVentures 2025:
-Seed fund under PolyU Micro Fund 2.0 Scheme and HKSTP Incubation Programme (support package around HK$1.3 million)
-Matching grant for external angel investment under PolyU Tech Launchpad Fund (up to HK$1.5 million)
-Matching investment from PolyU Entrepreneurship Investment Fund (up to HK$4 million)
- Government grants and subsidies
-Research grant from Shenzhen government (up to RMB300,000)
-Scholarship and family relocation allowance for Chinese candidates related to Shenzhen (up to RMB400,000 and RMB600,000)
-Other funding opportunities for translational research and technology start-ups
No. of Candidate Supported per Cohort:
Around 20 start-ups
Late-Apr: Initial Screening of Eligibility
May: Semi Final
May-Jun: One-to-one Interview & Pitch Training
Late Jun: Grand Finale Presentation
1. Research Technology Impact & Market Potential: 25%
2. Technology Readiness/ Feasibility : 15%
3. Commercialisation Plan : 15%
4. Academic & Research Capability: 15%
5. Business/ Commercial Acumen: 15%
6. Coachability/ Open-mindedness: 15%
Note: The Startup Postdocs in the Shenzhen programme are also subject to the project proposal, mid-term review, final review and other requirements as stipulated by the regulations and guidelines of the Postdoc Station under the Shenzhen Virtual University Park.
Stay tuned! Please refer to the last year materials under Download Area for your reference.