Piloted in 2019, GBA Startup Postdoc Programme @Hong Kong/Shenzhen (“the Programme”) aims to promote research-based entrepreneurship and nurture recent doctoral graduates to become “Technopreneurs” , extending research impact to society.
The Programme is open to recent doctorate graduates from around the world who have strong passion and vision to commercialise research outcomes in the Greater Bay Area (GBA) through startup venturing.
By leveraging support from PolyU and its partners’ resources and network in GBA, the structured programme provides competitive remuneration package and benefits, dual mentorship by academia and industrialists, entrepreneurship training, and preferential IP licensing terms, option to work in Shenzhen or Hong Kong, all these elements come together to support the postdocs to translate research outcomes into real-world impact.
Join our online briefing sessions and know more! Sign Up NOW!
Candidates attained a doctoral degree for no more than five years for Hong Kong Scheme/ no more than three years for Shenzhen Scheme, or will attain doctoral degrees within six months*
Excellent applied research capabilities and determination to turn research outcomes into products/services
Strong passion and vision to commercialise the research technology through start-up (those with past or current entrepreneurial experience are preferred)
Good English reading and writing skills
*Upon the application submission date. Exceptions may apply for outstanding applicants of the Hong Kong Scheme subject to the University's common practice and the assessment panel's decision.
Extra requirements for Shenzhen Scheme
- Aged 35 or below*
- Only PhD graduates are likely to be accepted
- Good command of written and spoken Chinese is a definite advantage
* Upon the registration in Shenzhen government’s Postdoc System
Note: All applicants shall secure the nomination of a PolyU academic supervisor upon application submission.
Basic Benefit & Support:
- Annual remuneration package up to RMB¥312,000 (Shenzhen) or HK$348,000 (Hong Kong)
- Full statutory benefits (e.g. mandatory provident fund and insurance, etc.)
- Maximum RMB¥2,000 or HK$2,300 per year for outreach activities
- Free workspace (InnoHub at Hong Kong/InnoHub at Shenzhen)
- Entrepreneurship training
- Support for working visa application for overseas candidates
- Dual mentorship – academic and industrial
- Comprehensive entrepreneurship development support by KTEO, PolyU
- Investor and Industry network
- Pipeline to funding schemes or incubation programmes of PolyU or other incubators
Other funding opportunities from government and University, if applicable, include:
Entrepreneurship support opportunities under PolyVentures 2025:
- PolyVenture Micro Fund - maximum HK$120,000 funding, and further Incubation support up to HK$1.3 million
- PolyU Angel Fund - Matching grant up to HK$1.5 million
- PolyU Entrepreneurship Investment Fund - Equity Investment up to HK$4 million
Government grants and subsidies:
- 廣東省海外青年博士後引進計劃 - Annual subsidy up to RMB¥120,000
- 深圳市政府科研經費 - Research grant up to RMB¥300,000
 Annual Salary is RMB132,000 plus living subsidy RMB180,000 (深圳市政府生活補貼)
 Annual Salary is HK$348,000
 Annual maximum RMB¥2,000/HK$2,300 for outreach activities, e.g. conference, seminar, public talks or any other activities relevant to the project/business
 Management fee may apply
 Relevant conditions and eligibility must be fulfilled, and application are required
The normal period of the programme is 2 years. In year 1, postdocs should carry on their translational research, and develop a business model and action plan to transform the research into real application. After Year 1, postdocs who fulfil the assessment requirements (as listed in the handbook) and decide to continue the programme should remain focus on business development and commercialization in the second year.
* The postdocs may opt for the academic track after Year 1 if research commercialization is not feasible. The academic supervisor shall secure funding support for the postdocs who wish to follow the academic track.
*The Startup Postdocs in the Shenzhen Scheme are also subject to the project proposal, mid-term review, final review and other requirements as stipulated by the regulations and guidelines of the Postdoc Station under the Shenzhen Virtual University Park.
Application Deadline: 17 Mar 2023 (Fri) 1pm
I. A 15-slide PPT in English;
III. A copy of identity document;
IV. A copy of academic & professional qualification certificates;
V. Academic supervisor nomination proof;
VI. Declaration of "Use of PolyU Knowledge/Innovations/Technologies" duly signed/endorsed by PolyU academic staff, if applicable. (Available under the section "Download Area".)
17 Mar 2023, 1pm
Initial Screening of Eligibility
Late Mar 2023
One-to-one Pitch Training
Late Mar to Mid Apr 2023
Grand Finale Presentation
1. Research Technology Impact & Market Potential: 25%
2. Technology Readiness/ Feasibility : 15%
3. Commercialisation Plan : 15%
4. Academic & Research Capability: 15%
5. Business/ Commercial Acumen: 15%
6. Coachability/ Open-mindedness: 15%