PolyU’s Food Safety Consortium Received the Affiliate Communication Award from IAFP
21 July 2019
PolyU’s Food Safety Consortium received the International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Affiliate Communication Award for our development of various communication channels with our members and high-quality materials in promoting science and technology as the foundation of advancing food safety and quality with informative content and attractive layout. The award ceremony was held on July 21, 2019 at the Affiliate Council Meeting during the 2019 IAFP Annual Meeting which took place in Louisville, Kentucky.
Founded in 1911, IAFP is home to educators, government officials, microbiologists, food industry executives and quality control professionals from 50 nations who are involved in all aspects of growing, storing, transporting, processing and preparing all types of foods. IAFP aims to provide food safety professionals worldwide with a forum to exchange information on protecting the food supply.
FSC was recognized as the Hong Kong affiliate of IAFP since mid-2015, as the two organizations have consistent objectives and the affiliation will effectively synergize their efforts in advancing food safety in various regions of the world.
In four years, FSC has grown from its budding stage to:
· being the home of 61 local and multinational Corporate Members from different sectors of the food industry – manufacturing, retail & wholesale, catering, testing & services, food security management, and other stakeholder organizations and internationally renowned Advisors ;
· organizing the first Global Food Safety & Technology Forum (GFSTF), and co-organize GoFood 2017 (second edition GFSTF) and GoFood 2019 (third edition GFSTF)- an international technology exchange conference to address food safety problems with science and technology - and ensuring its sustainability in collaboration with LU, DTU and Unibo;
· participating in global initiatives such as the International Food Safety Authorities Network (INFOSAN), the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), FAO/WHO Codex Ailmentarius (Codex);
· initiating and participating in various collaborative projects in food fraud, food supply intelligence and technology development, and the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 program;
· facilitating the communication channels with our members and industry by FSC’s website, flyers, PolyU food safety eNewsletter and social media such as Linkedin to promote advancing food safety and quality with informative content; and
· organizing various other activities and outreaching globally to foster exchanges among the industry, academia, government, and other food safety stakeholders.
While the Affiliate Communication Award is a significant recognition of FSC’s effort in promoting and developing science and technology as the foundation of advancing food safety and quality, PolyU will continue to be a key driver propelling most cutting-edge food safety and food technologies to benefit the global community.