Dr. Baek’s research focuses on understanding consumers in retail settings based on consumer behavior discipline. Her research has examined the effect of diverse retail factors on shoppers in on/offline environments. Her recent projects are aimed to investigate the interplay between consumers and technology-driven retail factors and provide insights into managing and enhancing the consumer experience in the digital retail era.
Click an icon for more information!
- Undergraduate Research Innovation Scholarship (URIS). “Tactics of online product displays.” HK$ 50,000, 2021. Supervisor
- National Research Foundation (NRF) Korea. “K-Lifestyle Co-Creation of Young Vietnamese Consumers.” KRW 240,000K (= HK$ 1,550,000), 2020-2023, Co-I.
- TRSM Advancement Grant, “The Enigma of Tech Engagement on Luxury Retailing.” CAD15,000 (=HK$ 85,900), 2020-2021, Co-I.
- RGC Grant, Early Career Scheme (ECS), “Feeling Secure Inside these Walls: The Effect of Ceiling Height on Retail Consumers.” HK$ 642,460, 2020~2022, PI.
- SSHRC, “Examining Environmental Elements on Variety Seeking Behavior in Retail Settings”, CAD7,000 (=HK$ 40,000), 2019-2020, Co-I.
- UGC Grant, Start-up Fund for New Recruits,”Virtual Reality as a Communication Tool.” HK$ 495,311, 2018-2021, PI.
- Baek, E.*, Huang, Z., & Lee, S. H. (2021). More Than What Meets the Eye: Understanding the Effects of Poly-Contextual Cues in Online Fashion Retailing. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 60, 102504.
- Baek, E., & Oh, G.* (2021). Diverse values of fashion rental service and contamination concern of consumers. Journal of Business Research. 123, 165-175.
- Baek, E., Choo, H.J.*, Wei, X., & Yoon, S.Y. (2020). Understanding the virtual tours of retail stores: How can store brand experience promote visit intentions? International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 48(7), 649-666.
- Song, H.K., Baek, E.*, & Choo, H.J. (2019). Try-on Experience with Augmented Reality Comforts Your Decision: Focusing on the Roles of Immersion and Psychological Ownership. Information Technology & People, 33(4), 1214-1234.
- Baek, E., Lee, H. K.*, & Choo, H.J. (2019). Cross-border online shopping experiences of Chinese shoppers. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 32(2), 366-385.
- Jang, J. Y., Baek, E., Yoon, S-Y., & Choo, H. J.* (2018). Store Design: Visual Complexity and Consumer Responses. International Journal of Design. 12(2), 105-118.
- Baek, E., & Choo, H. J.* (2018). Everybody Loves Beauty? The Moderated Effect of Body Attractiveness among Young Koreans. Fashion & Textiles, 5(1), 16.
- Baek, E., Choo, H. J.*, & Lee, S. H. (2018). Using Warmth as the Visual Design of a Store: Intimacy, Relational Needs, and Approach Intentions. Journal of Business Research. 88, 91-101.
- Jang, J. Y., Baek, E.*, & Choo, H. J. (2018). Managing the Visual Environment of a Fashion Store: Effects of Visual Complexity and Order on Sensation-Seeking Consumers. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 46(2), 210-216. Winner of the 2019 Emerald Literati Award [Highly Commended].
- Baek, E., Choo, H. J.*, Oh, H., & Yoon, S. Y. (2018). How consumers “see” a visually warm store: Differences between affective and cognitive processors. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 17(2), 149-160.
- Kim, D., Baek, E., & Choo, H. J.* (2017). A Study on Exposures to Selfie and Fashion Products in Social Network Service (SNS). Journal of Korean Society of Clothing Industry, 19(6), 701-711.
- Jung, H., Baek, E., & Choo, H. J.* (2017). Effects of Human Crowding and the Physical Attractiveness of Others on Customers in Stores. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 8(1), 69-82.
- Oh, H., Janiszewski, C.*, Baek, E., Choo, H. J. & Yoon, S-Y. (2016). The Effect of Processing Modes and Lighting Types on Shoppers’ Engagement in a Store. Advances in Consumer Research, 44, 570-571.
- Baek, E., & Choo, H. J.* (2015). The Effect of Peers’ Consumption on Hedonic Purchase Decisions. Social Behavior and Personality, 43(7), 1085-1100.
- Choo, H. J., Rha, J-Y., Baek, E.*, & Kim, H. J. (2015). Human Ecology Research (2000-2013) on Sustainable Consumption of Natural Resources. Family and Environment Research, 53(1), 93-106.
- Baek, E., Choo, H. J.*, Yoon, S-Y., Jung, H., Kim, G., Shin, H., Kim, H., & Kim, H. (2015). An Exploratory Study on Visual Merchandising of an Apparel Store Utilizing 3D Technology. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 6(1), 33-46.
- Choo, H. J.*, Lee, H. K., Baek, E., & Kwon, H. (2013). Research on Price Comparison of Fashion Brands in Global Market. Fashion Information and Technology, 10, 66-78. *Selected Media Coverage (June 29, 2015): Arirang News, “Why are foreign goods more expensive in Korea,” Available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIAnSMveE4
- Moon, H., Choo, H. J.*, Park, H. S., & Baek, E. (2013). The Roles of Benefit and Risk Perception in Ethical Fashion Consumption. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 37(2), 159-173.
- Chu, W.*, Baek, E., & Ko, K. (2012). Jeju Air: Branding of a K-Pop Airline. Asia Marketing Journal, 14(4), 189-207.