Nancy M. Dixon
Dr. Dixon obtained her PhD from North Texas State University of Denton in Texas. She is now working with Common Knowledge Associates, a company she founded in 2000. She has been instrumental in developing and delivering KM strategies, implementation plans, and training in a wide range of government and non-profit organizations (e.g. US Army, Defense Intelligence Agency, USAID) as well as corporate clients (Huawai, Bose, Towers Perrin). She has a particular interest in creating conversations that exploit the collective knowledge of an organization, particularly in the areas of intelligence, healthcare, and aid work in developing countries. Her skills as a researcher, developed through 15 years as a tenured professor at the George Washington University, enable her to provide insight into what has worked with knowledge management.
(Including External Committees, Memberships of Professional Bodies, etc)
- Editorial Board member of Management Learning, 1993-present
- Editorial Board member of Journal of Workplace Learning 1998-present
- Editorial Board member of International Academic Advising Group to MCB 1999-present
- Editorial Reviewer of Innovative Higher Education, 1984-1990
- Editorial Reviewer of Human Resource Development Quarterly, 1989-1992
(including Journals, Books, Chapters in Books, Conferences, etc)
- CompanyCommand: Unleasing the Power of the Army Profession. (With Burgess, T., Allen, N., Kilner, P. and Schweitzer, S.) United States Military Academy, (2005).
- Common Knowledge: How Companies Thrive by Sharing What They Know. Harvard Business School Press. (2000).
- The Organizational Learning Cycle: How We Can Learn Collectively. 2nd Edition. London: Gower. (1999).
- Dialogue at Work. London: Lemos and Crane. (1998).
- Helping Leaders Take Effective Action: Program Evaluation. The Center for Creative Leadership. (1997) with Dianne Young.
- Perspectives on Dialogue: Making Talk Developmental for Individuals and Organizations. The Center for Creative Leadership. (1996).
- The Organizational Learning Cycle: How We Can Learning Collectively. (1994). McGraw-Hill.
- The Academic Guide to the Models for HRD Practice. (1991) American Society for Training and Development. (with J. Henkleman)
- Evaluation: A Tool for HRD Quality. (1990). University Associates.
Monographs and Reports
- Sensemaking Guidelines, www.medqic.org. 2003
- Lesson Learned Study Research Report. Center for Business Innovation. Ernst & Young Center for Business Innovation, 1998.
- Report to the Conference Board of Canada on Organizational Learning. Ottawa, Canada: The Conference Board of Canada, 1993, 59 pp.
- Personal Learning Guide (College Edition) with D.A. Kolb and R.J. Baker: McBer and Company, 1984, 29 pp.
- Learning Styles and the Adult Learner, Parts I and II, Central Education Network, Postsecondary Education Council, 1983 (with D. Kolb and S. Schwabenlender).
- The Learning Implications of Educational Value Level Differences Between Students and Instructors. ED-168986, 1979, 16 pp.
Chapters in Books
- "Learning Across Organizational Boundaries” in Easterby-Smith, M., Burgoyne, J. and Araujo, L. (Eds). Organizational Learning and the Learning Organization: Developments in Theory and Practice. Sage. 1999.
- "The Organizational Learning Cycle” in Senge, P., Kleiner, A., Ross, R., Roberts, C., Roth, G., and Smith, B. (Eds). The Dance of Change. Doubleday. 1999. (with second author Rick Ross)
- "Action Learning: More than Just a Task Force” in M. Pedler (Ed). Action Learning in Practice 3rd Edition, Gower, England. 1997.
- "Action Learning at Digital Equipment" in M. Pedler, (Ed.) Action Learning in Practice. 3rd Edition, Gower, England 1997.
- "Helping US Human Resource Professionals into Action Learning" in M. Pedler, (Ed) Action Learning in Practice 3rd Edition, Gower, England. 1997. (with L. Hales and R. Baker). pp. 187-196.
- "Learning Style” in What Works: Assessment, development, and measurement. Bassi, L.J. and D. Russ-Eft, (Eds). ASTD 1997 pp. 37-64. (with Adams, D. and Cullins, R.)
- "Organizational Learning: A Review of the Literature with Implications for HRD Professionals” in D. Russ-Eft, H. Preskill, and C. Sleezer (Ed). Human Resource Development Review: Research and Implications. 1997, pp. 348-370.
- "Measuring On-The-Job Behavior" in D. Roberts and K. Medsker (Eds). ASTD Evaluation Tool Kit, 1992, pp. 207-214.
- "Trainer Skills for New Ways of Learning in Organizations" in M. Jones and P. Mann (Eds.). HRD International Perspectives on Development and Learning. Kumarian Press, West Hartford, CT. 1992, pp. 74-79.
- "Action Learning at Digital Equipment" in M. Pedler, (Ed.) Action Learning in Practice. 2nd Edition, Gower, England. 1991. (with D. Adams). pp. 197-206.
- "Helping US Human Resource Professionals into Action Learning" in M. Pedler, (Ed) Action Learning in Practice 2nd Edition, Gower, England. 1991. (with L. Hales and R. Baker). pp. 187-196.
- "Organizational Learning," in Organizational Issues of the 1990's and HRD Research. R. Jacobs (Ed.) Ohio State University. 1991. ED 334 349.
- "The Implementation of Learning Style Information." In Being Responsive to Adult Learners, (Ed.) S. Merriam, Scott Foresman, and American Association of Adult and Continuing Education, 1986.
- "Incorporating Learning Style Into Training Design," in Designing Training Programs, American Society for Training and Development, 1986.
- Truth to Power, Reflections Society for Organizational Learning, July 2011 (with Adrian Wolfberg)
- Harvesting Project Knowledge, ASK Magazine, NASA Spring (30) 2008
- "Don’t Just Capture Knowledge, Harvest It” Harvard Business Review, May 2008 (with Katrina Pugh)
- "Company Command: A Professional Community That Works” ASK Magazine published by NASA, Summer, 2007.
- "Developmental Stages of COPs” Develop 2006
- "Struggling To Invent HRO In Health Care Settings: Insights From The Field.”
- (with Marjorie Shofer) HSR: Health Services Research 41:4, Part II (August 2006)
- "Sensemaking of Patient Safety Risks and Hazards” co-authored with Jim Battles, Robert Borotkanics, and Harold Kaplan HSR: Health Services Research 41:4, Part II (August 2006)
- "Breakthrough Ideas for 2006: Peer-to-Peer Leadership Development” HBR, February 2006.
- "Functioning At The Edge Of Knowledge: A Study Of Learning Processes In New Product Development” (with Marianne Doos, Lena Wilhelmson, and Thomas Backlund) Journal of Workplace Learning. (17) 8, 2005.
- "Does Your Organization Have an Asking Problem” Knowledge Management Review, 7,2, 2004
- "The Powerful Question” Management First. Emerald Group Publishing. Jan 2004
- "The Neglected Receiver of Knowledge Sharing” Ivey Business Journal. March/April 2002.
- "Functioning at the Edge of Knowledge: A Study of Learning Processes in Software Testing Teams” under review for Management Learning, with Marianne Döös , Lena Wilhelmson and Thomas Backlund.
- "You Gotta’ Have a Match: Making Knowledge Transfer Work” People Management. February Issue 2000.
- "The Changing Face of Knowledge” The Learning Organization. 6,5, 1999 212-216.
- "The Responsibilities of Members in an Organization That is Learning” The Learning Organization. 5,4, 1998 161-167.
- "Action Learning: More Than Just a Task Force” Performance Improvement Quarterly. 11,1 1998. 44-59.
- "Building Global Capacity with Global Task Teams” Performance Improvement Quarterly. 11,1 1998. 108-113.
- "The Hallways of Learning” Organizational Dynamics. Spring, 1997 Vol. 25, Iss. 4. 23-34.
- "Evaluation Best Practice” Training and Development Journal. Vol. 50, 5, 1996. 82-85.
- "Hallways of Learning” Strategy & Leadership, Vol. 24, No 2, 1996, p.52.
- "A Practical Model for Organizational Learning” Issues and Observations. The Center for Creative Leadership. Vol. 14, 2, 1995.
- "The Organizational Learning Cycle” Muse 12,4, 1995. 38-42. (Le cycle d’apprentissage organisationnel. Muse 12,4, 1995. 43-47.
- "Developing Managers for the Learning Organization" Human Resource Management Review. 3,3 1993. 243-254.
- "Organizational Learning: A Review of the Literature with Implications for Human Resource Development Professionals" Human Resource Development Quarterly. 3,1, 1992.
- "Use of the Argyris Case Method to Develop Consulting Skills" Performance Improvement Quarterly. 4, 1, 1991. 31-41.
- "Action Learning, Action Science and Learning New Skills" Industrial and Commercial Training. 22, 3, 1990. 10-16.
- "The Relationship Between Trainee Responses on Participant Reaction Forms and Their Posttest Scores" Human Resource Development Quarterly. 1, 2, 1990.
- "Combining Action Learning and Action Science to create a Methodology for Increasing the On-the Job Use of Management Development Skills" Industrial and Commercial Training. 22, 3, 1990.
- "Self-Defeating Strategies of Training Departments" Performance and Instruction 28, 7, 1989.
- "Meet Training's Goals Without Reaction Forms" Personnel Journal, 66, 8, 1987.
- "The Kolb Model Modified for Classroom Activities" College Teaching, 35, 4, 1987 (with M.D. Svinicki).
- "Supervisor as Mediator" Practical Supervision, 55, 1986 (with S.D. Johnson).
- "The Implementation of Learning Style Information" Life Long Learning, 9, 3, 1985.
- "Participative Management: The Manager's Changing Role" Tandem Update, Spring, 1984.
- "Participative Management: A Complex Process" Supervisory Management, 29, 12, 1984.
- "Emerging Trends in the Work Environment" Overview, 10, 1, 1983.
- "Learning Disabilities as Conflicts Between Abilities" Education Digest, 67, 1983.
- "An Alternative Framework for Considering Learning Disabilities in a More Positive Light" Journal of Learning Disabilities, 15, 7, 1982.
- "Improving Prospects for the College-Bound Learning Disabled" Topics in Learning and Learning Disabilities, 2, 3, 1982 (with G. Blalock).
- "Attitudes Toward Work: How They Differ" Facts and Findings, 8, 6, 1982.
- "Learning Then and Now: August 17, 2032" Curriculum Review, 21, 3, 1982.
- "Incorporating Learning Style into Training Design" Training and Development, 36, 7, 1982.
- "Addressing the Reader's Right Brain" Educational Resources Techniques, 21, 2, 1981.
- "Recognizing Learning and Teaching Styles: Who is Responsible?" Community College Frontiers, 8, 4, 1980.