Kai-Ming Yu 余啓明
BSc(Eng) & PhD graduate from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Hong Kong in 1985 and 1990 respectively. Post-doctorate in Hong Kong University of Science & Technology before joining PolyU as Lecturer in 1993 to teach various sub-degree, degree, and postgraduate subjects. Research specialties are to apply computational geometry, logic, and psychological know-how to solve different design problems. Projects and publications in more than 15 years works include: computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM), computer-aided engineering analysis (CAE), geometric modelling, rapid prototyping (RP), reverse engineering (RE), and product data management (PDM).
Honours and Awards
- Secretary (since 1998) and Executive Committee Member of SME (Hong Kong Chapter), Senior Member of SME
- Sector/Subject Specialist of Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications
Teaching and Research Specialties
Areas of interest: Product lifecycle management; rapid product technologies; CAD/CAE/CAM; geometric modelling; and design innovation.
- "Direct tool-path generation from massive point input”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B, vol.216, no.B2, pp.199-206, 2002.
- "Layer manufacture of jewel ring by volume efficient methodology", Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B, 2001, Volume 215, Number B8, pp.1035-1049.
- "Dexel based Direct Slicing of Multi-Material Assemblies", International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, v18, pp.285-302 (2001).
- "Reconstruction of solids with hidden details from orthographic projections using 2-stage extrusion", Computer-Aided Design v33 n1 pp.91-102, Jan 2001.
- "Implementation of hollow octree reinforced rapid prototype", International Journal of Agile Manufacturing, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp.105-117, 2000.