Dr Gary C.P. Tsui was awarded a first-class honours degree in Manufacturing Engineering and a PhD degree from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Dr Tsui is currently an Associate Professor and ISE degree Programme Leader at Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. His specialism is in the field of computational modeling and analysis with research emphasis on composite material engineering. Dr Tsui has authored or co-authored over 110 papers in referred journals and holds two issued US patents. With his work recognized internationally, he is currently editorial board members of various international journals, including “Composites Part B: Engineering”, “Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Informatics” and “World Journal of Engineering”.
He also served as Chairman of Symposium of Bio-inspired Nano-(composites) of The 24th Annual International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering held at China in 2016, as well as Chairman of Organizing Committee of The 11th International Conference on Technology Education at Hong Kong in 2015.
Since 2005, he has actively taken part in a learned society “Institute of Industrial Engineers (Hong Kong)”- IIE(HK) for promoting the discipline of Industrial engineering, and was elected to be President of IIE(HK) for the year of 2014/2015. He was a Visiting Academic at the Faculty of Engineering and Surveying and the Centre of Excellence in Engineered Fibre Composites in the University of Southern Queensland, Australia during Nov 2011 – Nov 2012.
Experimental investigation, damage and finite element modeling of polymers, particulate composites and biocomposites; Experimental investigation of nanomechanical properties of composites; Fabrication of nanocmposite particles for biomedical applications; Fabrication of coatings on metallic materials.
Journal Editorship and Editorial Board Members
- Editorial Board Member of “Composites Part B: Engineering” journal (JCR Impact factor: 3.850)
- Editorial Board Member of “Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Informatics”
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of “World Journal of Engineering” (Indexed in Scopus)
- Associate Editor of “Annual Journal of Institute of Industrial Engineers (Hong Kong)”, 2005-2015
- Secretary of Editorial Board of a Journal “Industrial Engineering Research”, 2006-2015
Conference Chairs and Board Members
- Chairman of Symposium of Bio-inspired Nano-(composites) of The 24th Annual International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering, Haikou, Hainan Island, China, 17th-23rd July 2016
- Editorial and Advisory Board Member of The 24th Annual International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering, Haikou, Hainan Island, China, 17th-23rd July 2016
- Chairman of Organizing Committee of The 11th International Conference on Technology Education, Hong Kong, 3-5th January 2015
- Editorial and Advisory Board Member of The 23rd Annual International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering, Chengdu, China, 12-18th July 2015
- Technical Co-chair and Editorial Advisory Board Member of The 22nd Annual International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering, Malta, 13-19th July 2014
- Secretary of Annual Conference of Institute of Industrial Engineers (Hong Kong), Hong Kong, 25-26 May, 2006 and 8 June, 2007
- Committee Members of Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (Hong Kong), 2015/2016
- President of Institute of Industrial Engineers (Hong Kong), 2014/2015
- Honorary Treasurer / Honorary Secretary of Institute of Industrial Engineers (HK), 2007-2010
Selected Journal Publications
- Huang WF, Tsui GCP, Tang CY, Yang M (2016), Fabrication and process investigation of vancomycin loaded silica xerogel/polymer core-shell composite nanoparticles for drug delivery, Composites Part B: Engineering, 95, 272-281
- Jankovic, A, Erakovic S, Mitric M, Matic IZ, Juranic ZD, Tsui GCP, Tang CY (2015), Miskovic-Stankovic, Rhee K.Y., Park S.J., Bioactive Hydroxyapatite/graphene Composite Coating and its Corrosion Stability in Simulated Body Fluid, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 624, 148-157.
- Gong C, Deng F, Tsui CP, Xue Z, Ye, YS, Tang CY, Zhou X, Xie X (2014), PANI–PEG Copolymer Modified LiFePO 4 as a Cathode Material for High-performance Lithium Ion Batteries, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2, 19315-19323.
- Yang Y, He CE, Tang W, Tsui CP, Shi D, Sun Z, Jiang T, Xie X (2014), Judicious Selection of Bifunctional Molecules to Chemically Modify Graphene for Improving Nanomechanical and Thermal Properties of Polymer Composites, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2, 20038-20045 (2014).
- Erakovic S, Jankovic A, Tsui GCP, Tang CY, Miskovic-Stankovic V., Stevanovic T. (2014), Novel Bioactive Antimicrobial Lignin Containing Coatings on Titanium Obtained by ELectrophoretic Deposition, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 15, 12294-12322.
- Tang CY, Tsui CP, Tang YM, Wei L, Wong CT, Lam KW, Ip WY, Lu WWJ, Pang MYC (2014), Voxel-based Approach to Generate Entire Human Metacarpal Bone with Microscopic Architecture for Finite Element Analysis, Bio-medical Materials and Engineering, 24, 1469-1484.
- Chen L, Tang CY., Tsui CP, Chen DZ (2013). Mechanical Properties and In Vitro Evaluation of Bioactivity and Degradation of Dexamethasone-releasing Poly-D-L-Lactide/nano-hydroxyapatite Composite Scaffolds, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 22, 41-50.
- Du FP, Weng JJ, Tang CY, Tsui CP, Zhou XP, Xie XL, Liao YG (2012), Water-soluble Graphene Grafted by Poly(sodium 4-styrenesulfonate) for Enhancement of Electric Capacitance, Nanotechnology, 23, art no.475704.
- Tang CY, Tsui CP, Guo YQ, Gao B, Luan RH (2012), Damage Modeling of Graded Ti-based Composites Using Repeated Unit Cell Approach, International Journal of Material Science, 2, 63-66.
- Tsui CP, Tang CY, Guo YQ, Uskokovic PS, Fan JP, Gao B (2010), Effects of Filler Content on Mechanical Properties of Macroporous Composites, Composite Interfaces, 17, 571-579.
- Yang YK, Tsui CP, Tang CY, Qiu SQ, Zhao Q, Cheng XJ, Sun ZG, Li RKY, Xie XL (2010), Functionalization of Carbon Nanotubes with Biodegradable Supramolecular Polypseudorotaxanes from Grafted-poly(-caprolactone) and -cyclodextrins, European Polymer Journal, 46, 145-155.
- Tsui CP, Chen DZ, Tang CY, Uskokovic PS, Fan JP, Xie XL (2006), Prediction for Debonding Damage Process and Effective Elastic Properties of Glass-Bead-Filled Modified Polypheylene Oxide, Composites, Science and Technology, 66, 1521-1531.
- Tsui CP, Tang CY, Fan JP, Xie XL (2005), Prediction for Initiation of Debonding Damage and Tensile Stress-Strain Relation of Glass-Bead-Filled Modified Polyphenylene Oxide, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 46, 1659-1674.
- Fan JP, Tsui CP, Tang CY, Chow CL (2004). Influence of Interphase Layer on the Overall Elasto-Plastic Behaviors of HA-PEEK Biocomposite, Biomaterials, 25, 5363-5373.
- Xie XL, Tang CY, Chan KYY, Wu XC, Tsui CP, Cheung CY (2003). Wear Performance of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene/Quartz Composites, Biomaterials, vol.24, pp.1889-1896.
- Fan JP, Tsui CP, Tang CY (2004). Modeling of the Mechanical Behavior of HA/PEEK Biocomposite under Quasistatic Tensile Load, Materials Science and Engineering A, 382, 341-350.
- Tsui CP, Tang CY, Lee TC (2001). Tensile Properties and Damage Behaviours of Glass-Bead-Filled Modified Polyphenylene Oxide under Large Strain, Polymer Composites, 22, 742-751.
- Tsui CP, Tang CY, Lee TC (2001). Finite Element Analysis of Polymer Composites filled by Interphase Coated Particles, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 117, 105-110.
Engineering Materials, Manufacturing Processing Technology and Finite element method