Keith K.C. Chan
Ir Professor KC Chan is Head of the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Having obtained his Associateship in Production and Industrial Engineering, and received a formal engineering graduate training for about 2 years in Hong Kong, he began his PhD study in Hong Kong Polytechnic in 1987. He then joined the Department of Manufacturing Engineering of the same Institution as an assistant lecturer in 1990. Over the past 20 years, he has been contributing to the teaching of various undergraduate and postgraduate subjects, and the development and management of academic programmes. Currently, he is the undergraduate programmes director of the Dept., laboratory-in-charge of Materials Engineering Laboratory, and the programme leader of the Bachelor of Engineering programme.
Prof. Chan is also active in research. He has published over 180 international journal papers, secured more than 10 external research grants (including CERG/GRF and ITF) and received 2 US patents. His research areas include bulk metallic glasses, superplasticity, processing and properties of advanced materials, and electrodeposition of metals and oxides.
Teaching and Research Specialties
Advanced Manufacturing Technology, and Materials Engineering and Processing
Honours and Awards
- Member of the Engineering Panel of Hong Kong Research Grants Council (2005 -2010)
- Editor, The HKIE Transactions, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, since 2010
- Editorial Board Member, The Open Mechanical Engineering Journal, and The Open Materials Science Journal, since 2007
- Guest Editor of a Special Issue of the Journal of Materials Processing Technology (vol. 138-139), 2003
- Member, Appeal Board (Consumer Goods Safety), appointed by the Secretary for Economic Services under the Consumer Goods Safety Ordinance to hear an appeal case (2002)
- Chairman, Specialized Section in Manufacturing and Systems Engineering, Institution of Electrical Engineering, Hong Kong (2002-03)
- The President's Award for Achievement (1995/1996) in the category of Research and Scholarly Activities, awarded by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship, awarded by the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund Council, 1989.
Published over 180 papers in international journals, and the followings are ten representative articles.
- L. Xia, KC Chan, MB Tang, Enhanced glass forming ability and refrigerant capacity of a Gd55Ni22Mn3Al20 bulk metallic glass, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 509 (2011) 6640-6643.
- F. Hu, KC Chan and TM Yue, Morphology and growth of electrodeposited cuprous oxide under different values of direct current density, Thin Solid Films, 518 (2009) 120-125.
- G. Wang, K.C. Chan, L. Xia, P. Yu, J. Shen, W.H. Wang, Self-organized intermittent plastic flow in bulk metallic glass, Acta Materialia, 57 (2009) 6146-6155.
- N. Li, L. Liu and K.C. Chan, Deformation behavior and indentation size effect in amorphous and crystallized Pd40Cu30Ni10P20 alloy, Journal of Materials Research, 24(2009) 1693-1699.
- G. Wang, K.C. Chan, X.H. Xu, W.H. Wang, The instability of crack propagation in brittle bulk metallic glass, Acta Materialia, 56 (2008) 5845-5860.
- K.C. Chan, Q. Chen, L. Liu, Deformation behavior of Zr55.9Cu18.6Ta8Al7.5Ni10 bulk metallic glass matrix composite in the supercooled liquid region, Intermetallics, 15 (2007) 500-505
- G.F. Wang, K.C. Chan, K.F. Zhang, Low temperature superplasticity of nanocrystalline electrodeposited Ni-Co alloy, Scripta Materialia, 54 (2006) 765-770.
- N.S. Qu, D. Zhu, K.C. Chan and W.N. Lei, Pulse electrodeposition of nanocrystalline nickels using ultra narrow pulse width and high peak current density, Surface & Coatings Technology, 2003, Vol. 168 pp. 123-128
- B. Q. Han and K.C. Chan, High-strain-rate superplasticity of an Al6061-SiCw composite, Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia, 1997, vol. 36, pp. 593-598
- K.C. Chan, B.Q. Han and T.M. Yue, Constitutive Equations for Superplastic Deformation of SiC Particulate Reinforced Aluminium Alloys, Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, 1996, Vol. 44, p.2515-2522.