Research Personnel / Student Assistant may be exposed to hazardous materials or conditions during their research activities. Before starting on a research project or working in a high-risk laboratory, Research Personnel / Student Assistant shall receive proper training, including Health, Safety and Environment Office (HSEO) Online Safety Training, departmental safety briefing and laboratory-specific safety training based on the nature of the research activities.
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Conduct research activities in compliance with relevant local regulations and PolyU Health and Safety Guidelines.
- Perform risk assessment, consult with PIs / departmental technical staff / HSEO and take appropriate precautions before beginning any new operation with potential hazards (for example, but not limited to: chemical, biological, radiation, high powered laser, extreme temperature and pressure).
- Familiarize with emergency response procedures, alarm systems, building evacuation routes and the locations of the emergency equipment.
- Minimize exposure by using appropriate ventilated enclosures / exhaust systems (e.g. biosafety cabinets and fume cupboards), proper tools and personal protective equipment.
- Report unsafe conditions to the supervisor (i.e. PIs), lab-in-charge and the Departmental Health and Safety Officer.
- Follow established Standard Operating Procedures.