My broad research interests are psychology of language learning and teaching, language teacher education and ethics in applied linguistics. I am particularly interested in language learners’ motivational journeys and language teachers’ psychological wellbeing. With my work, I promote language teacher research as a crucial dimension of teacher preparation and professional development. I also investigate the notions of ethics and reflexivity and how these are implemented in applied linguistics research.
My inquiry has been largely influenced by the epistemological and methodological traditions of narrative inquiry and practitioner research (i.e., Action Research and Exploratory Practice). Recently, I have developed the concept of life capital which offers a heuristic to account for language learners’ and teachers’ life stories and understand how these interact with learning and teaching experiences.
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Lecturer in Applied Linguistics and TESOL, Newcastle University, UK (2019-2020)
- Teaching Fellow in Spanish, University of Warwick, UK (2016-2019)
- Associate Lecturer in Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick, UK (2016-2019)
- Co-ordinator, English Language Department, University of the West of England, UK (2015-2016)
- English Language Lecturer, University of the West of England, UK (2014-2015)
- Second Language Acquisition
- Language Learning Motivation
- Discourse Analysis
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- Consoli, S. (May 2022). A reflexive perspective on the (ethical) risks we take when researching our own students – School of Education Seminar Series, University of Glasgow, UK.
- Consoli, S. (March, 2022). For what and whom is practitioner research? [Invited talk]. Symposium, The Ethics and Practice of L+ Classroom Research – Centre for Foreign Language Education and Research, Rikkyo University, Japan.
Consoli, S. (May, 2021). Understanding EAP students’ Motivation through the lens of Life Capital Invited Talk presented at Seminar Series – School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences, Newcastle University, UK.
Consoli, S. (February, 2021). Practitioner researchers and academic researchers can do better together Invited Talk presented at the Guest Lecture Series – Department of Education (Applied Linguistics), University of Oxford, UK.
Consoli, S. (November, 2020). Understanding Motivation through Exploratory Practice Invited Talk presented at the Guest Lecture Series – Department of Education (Applied Linguistics), University of Bath, UK.
Consoli, S. (May, 2019). Reflexivity: A Necessary Approach for Good Quality Research Invited Workshop presented at the ESRC Advanced Training Day - Methods of Discourse Analysis, University of Warwick, UK.
Consoli, S. (May, 2018). What Novice Teachers Need to Know about Motivation Invited Talk presented at the conference 'My Story in Practicum - 3', Çağ University, Turkey.
Consoli, S. (July, 2017). Invited Lecture Quality in Qualitative Research, Bahçeşehir University, Istanbul.
- PI: Towards a Framework of EAP Learner Engagement in Hong Kong Universities (with Prof Sarah Mercer and Dr Samantha Curle)
- PI: Towards a Model of Psychological Wellbeing for Teachers of English for Academic Purposes in Hong Kong (with Dr Santiago Sanchez and Dr Tae Hee Choi)