The Joint PhD Programmes offer full-time PhD students the opportunities to benefit from shared research excellence in various disciplines between PolyU and its prestigious partners. After completing the Joint PhD Programmes, students will obtain a PhD degree conferred by PolyU and a PhD degree conferred by Partner Institution.
Students admitted to the Joint PhD Programmes will:
- be registered as full-time PhD students at both universities and be able to enjoy their full range of academic and various facilities;
- be guided in their work by faculty members from both universities, and be examined to the standards of both; and
- normally split their time of study equally between the two universities and stay at PolyU for consecutive 2 years
PolyU has established collaborations with the following universities for Joint PhD Programmes:
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Nanjing University
- Nankai University
- Northeastern University
- Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Sichuan University
- Southeast University
- Southern University of Science and Technology
- Tongji University
- Wuhan University
- Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Zhejiang University
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Calgary
- University of Surrey
- University of Technology, Sydney
Eligible applicants should first contact the department concerned on available supervisors and subject areas.
Students are required to meet the entry requirements of both universities. Please refer to this link for general entrance requirements and English language requirements of PolyU.
Qualified applicants should submit online applications via eAdmission with all of the supporting documents (e.g. academic transcripts, academic credentials (毕业证书), degree certificates (学位证书), GSB/1A Research Proposal) to PolyU.
Programme details, application deadlines and related information are available here.
Fees, Scholarships and Living Expenses
Incoming students from partner institutions in the Chinese Mainland will pay tuition fee to PolyU during their stay. Please refer to this link for the details of tuition fee.
Incoming students from partner institutions in overseas countries / Outgoing students from PolyU to overseas institutions will pay tuition fee to their home institution according to the institutional agreement.
Joint PhD students will:
- receive a monthly stipend while based at PolyU. The prevailing monthly stipend is HK$18,100 and it is subject to review annually. They can use Conference Grant provided by PolyU during their studies at the partner institution. Conference grant is up to HK$25,000 throughout the whole study period.
- be required to pay other relevant fees, for example, an examination fee should be paid upon thesis submission. Students failing to submit their thesis by the end of the normal study period will be required to pay a continuation fee at PolyU on a semester/term basis until submission of thesis.
- be treated the same as regular research students in terms of student support services provided by PolyU.
Joint PhD students can apply accommodation in PolyU Student Halls of Residence which is subject to its availability or live outside campus. The Student Affairs Office will provide information to students who need help. During the study period in partner institution, partner institution will provide help.
Award of Degree
Upon satisfactory completion of study, the student will receive two award parchments issued each by PolyU and the partner institution.
Last update: 20 Jun 2022