Dr. PAN Lu
Assistant Professor and Undergraduate Programme Leader
Visual culture and art, urban culture, media theories, space, film, cultural memory, war monuments in modern and contemporary Greater China, inter–asia cultural studies, colonialism in East Asia, island studies
Dr. Pan's research interests cover a wide range of topics in Cultural Studies, with a focus on visual culture, city, media and memory. She is author of three monographs on public visual politics in East Asian cities (2015), memory and urban space in Berlin and Shanghai (2016) and war monuments in Great China (2021).
Dr. Pan is actively engaged in creating new approaches in Humanities that bridge academic research and artistic/curatorial practices.
In addition to his academic research and teaching, Dr. Pan is an active curator and video artist. Her essay films, co-directed with Bo Wang, include Traces of an Invisible City (2016), Miasma, Plants and Export Paintings (2017), which received Award for Excellence, 32nd Image Forum Festival, Tokyo, Japan, and Many Undulating Things (2019). She was one of the curators of Kuandu Biennale, Taipei, 2018. Currently in collaboration with Japanese artist Yu Araki , she is working on a new experimental film Anachronic Chronicles: Voyages Inside/Out Asia, based on home videos shot between the 1960s and the 1990s from around East Asia.
Education and Academic Qualifications
- PhD, Dept. of Comparative Literature, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR (2010)
- M.A., Intercultural Anglophone Studies, University Bayreuth, Germany (2005)
- B.A., Chinese as Foreign Language, Shanghai International Studies University, China (2003)
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Visiting scholar, School of Fine Arts, Taipei National University of the Arts, Taiwan (19.Mar. – 25. Mar., 2018)
- Artist–in–Residence, Center for Art and Urbanistic, Berlin, Germany (01. Nov. – 31. Dec., 2016)
- Researcher–in–Residence, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Fukuoka, Japan (21. May– 23 Jun, 2016)
- Lecturer, School of Modern Languages and Cultures, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (09/2013 – 05/2014)
- Visiting Fellow, Harvard–Yenching Institute, Special Training Program in Urban Studies (09/2011 – 06/2012)
- College Lecturer, Domain of Media and Cultural Studies, The University of Hong Kong SPACE Community College, Hong Kong (08/2010 – 07/2015)
- Visiting Scholar, in Center for Metropolitan Studies, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany (06/2008 – 09/2008 and 07/2009 – 08/2009)
BICS Program: CC315 Cultural Contact Between China and the West; CC402 Capstone Project in Chinese culture
MACC Program: CC5106 Chinese Films and Society; CC 5002 Studying Chinese culture through Field Trips