Prof. Simon YU
Ir Professor Yu Ching Man
BEng(Hons) ACGI PhD DIC
CEng(U.K.) FIMechE FRAeS FHKIE
Professor Yu is a Professor in the Department of Aviation and Aeronautical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He is also concurrently the Head of Training for Flight Training Organization (HKCAD-509A) and Training Manager for Licensed Aircraft Engineers (HKAR-147) at the university. He was formerly the Head of the Department from Aug 2018 to Nov 2019.
Prior to joining HKPolyU, he was with the Nanyang Technological University(NTU), Singapore (1991-2013) and Singapore Institute of Technology(SIT) (2013-2018). He held various administrative positions at NTU including (1) Head, Division of Aerospace Engineering in the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (2008-2013), (2) Director, Master of Science Programme in Aerospace Engineering with the Technical University of Munich, Germany (2011-2013), (3) Vice-Dean, Office of Admissions (2003 - 2006), (4) Member of the University Council (now Board of Trustee) (2001-2003), (5) Principal Staff Officer, President’s Office (2000-2003) and (6) Director, Part-time Master of Science Programme in Biomedical Engineering with the Singapore General Hospital (1999). At SIT (7), he was the founding Programme Director for Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Land & Building Services) (2013-2018). During his tenure as Head of Aerospace Engineering at NTU in particular, he had successfully obtained a SGD 50 million Grant from CAAS to establish the Air Traffic Management Research Institute (ATMRI). He also helped to establish the LTA Research Centre for Railway Engineering at SIT.
Professor Yu was also an Adjunct Professor to the Department of Architecture and Building Sciences at the Xi’an JiaoTong University, China (2015-2018), a Visiting Scientist to the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Tokyo, Japan (2007) and the Institute of Fluid Mechanics at the University of Erlangen, Germany (1999). He is currently trainer for holistic gas turbine at Rolls Royce Aeroengine Singapore (since 2009).
Professor Yu is an Independent Non-Executive Director of SBS Transit Ltd. He is also the Chairman of the Service Quality Committee (since 2018).
Professor Yu’s research interest is on non-intrusive measurement techniques for fluid flow such as, Laser-Doppler Anemometry, Phase-Doppler Anemometry, Particle Image Velocimetry and Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence, and their applications to aerodynamics, propulsion, turbulent mixing flows, biofluid mechanics, environmental fluid mechanics and fundamental plume and jet studies. He has published more than 200 papers in archive journals and conferences. 20 PhD students and 12 MEng students have been graduated from his sole and joint supervision. He is ranked among the top 1.59% of the researchers in the category of mechanical engineering and transportation in 2021.
Professor Yu holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons), Associateship of the City and Guilds of London Institute (1987), Doctor of Philosophy and Diploma of Imperial College (1991) from Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine UK. His PhD studies were under the supervision of the late Professor J.H. Whitelaw FRS and were sponsored by the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Pyestock (UK).
He is a Chartered Engineer (UK), Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (UK), Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (UK), Fellow of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Chartered Engineer in Transportation and Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore. He was a member in the IES Council (2018-2020) and is an independent assessor for CEng in various organizations.
Selected Publication since 2010
- Schilder, B., Yu, S. C. M., Kasagi, N., Hardt, H. and Stephan, H. (2010), Local Heat Transfer Measurement in a Micro Glass Tube, ASME J. Heat Transfer, Vol.132, Issue 3, No. 031702.
- L. Gao and S. C. M. Yu (2010) A modified slug model for vortex ring formation process, Journal of Fluid Mechanics Vol. 656, pp. 205-222.
- C. Wan and S. C. M. Yu (2011) Investigation of air tab’s effect in supersonic jets, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 1157-1160.
- Z. Gan, S. C. M. Yu and A. W. K. Law (2011) Hydrodynamic stability of a bubble column with a bottom-mounted point air source, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 66, Issue 21, pp. 5338-5356.
- L. Gao and S.C.M. Yu (2012) Development of Shear Layer behind the Leading Vortex Ring in a Staring Jet, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 700, pp.382-405.
- G. Zhang and S. C. M. Yu (2012) Unsteady Aerodynamics of tandem wing UAV, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 1315-1323.
- C. Wan and S. C. M. Yu (2013) Numerical Investigation of the air tabs technique in jet flow, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 42-49
- Zhang, G., Yu, S. C. M. and Yang, S. X. (2013) Aerodynamic Characteristics of Canard-Forward Swept Wing (FSW) Aircraft Configurations, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 378-387.
- Lim Y.S., Yu, S. C. M. and Nguyen N.T. (2012) Flow visualization and heat transfer characteristics of gas-liquid two-phase flow in micro-tube under constant heat flux at wall, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 56, pp. 350-359.
- Gan, Z., Yu, S. C. M. and Law, A. W. K.(2013) Phase Doppler Anemometry measurements in a three-phase bubble column, AIChemE Journal, Vol. 59 issue 7 July 2013. p. 2286-2307.
- Xie, J.L., Gan, Z.W., Duan, F., Wong, T.N., Yu, S. C. M. and Zhao, R. Characterization of spray atomization and heat transfer of pressure swirl nozzles (2013), International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 68, pp94-102.
- Wanchai, J., Chue, R., Nguyen, T., Yu, S.C.M. (2013) Optimization of Round Bodies for Aerodynamic Performance and Stability at Supersonic Speeds, The Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 117, 1193.
- Lim Y. S. and Yu, S. C. M. (2014) Numerical simulations ofheat transfer characteristics of gas-liquid two-phase flow in microtubes. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol 8, 115-124.
- Lim Y.S. Yu, S. C. M. and Schulter, J. (2014) “Heat transfer characteristialternatingdiscrete flow in micro-tubes” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 74, 333–341.
- Xie, J. L., Gan, Z. W., Wong, T. N., Duan, F., Yu, S. C. M. and Wu, Y.H. (2014) Thermal effects on a pressure swirl nozzle in spray cooling,International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer Vol. 73, pp. 130-140
- Chen, S.; Chue, R.; Schluter, J.; Nguyen, T.; Yu, S. C. M. (2014) Numerical Investigation of a Trapped Vortex Miniature Ramjet Combustor, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 31, no. 3, pp 872- 882.
- Jiajan, W., Chue, R. S. M., Nguyen, T. and Yu, S.C.M. (2015) Boat-tail juncture shaping for spin-stabilized rounds in supersonic flight, Shock Waves, Vol. 25, Issue 2, pp.189-204.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S. C. M. and Duan, F. (2015) Control of Wakes and Vortex-Induced Vibrations of a Single Circular Cylinder Using Synthetic Jets, Journal of Fluids and Structure, Vol. 60, pp. 160-179.
- Gao, L. and Yu, S. C. M. (2016) The formation of leading vortex pair in two dimensional starting jets, AIAA Journal, Vol. 54, No. 4 (2016), pp. 1364-1369.
- Chen, S., Chue, R., Yu, S. C. M. and Schluter, J. (2016) Spinning effects on a trapped vortex combustor, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power (http://dx.doi.org/10.2514/1.B36005)
- Wang. C., Tang. H., Yu, S. C. M., and Duan, F., (2016) Active control of vortex-induced vibrations of a circular cylinder using windward-suction-leeward-blowing actuation, Physics of Fluids 28, 053601.
- Gao, L. and Yu, S. C. M. (2016) Vortex ring formation in starting forced plumes with negative and positive buoyancy Physics of Fluids 28, 113601-1.
- Wang. C., Tang. H., Yu, S. C. M., and Duan, F., (2017) Physical Review Fluids, Vol. 2, 104701, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.104701
- Lim, K. B., Wang, P. C., An, H., and Yu, S. C. M. (2017) Computational Studies for the Design Parameters of Hollow Fibre Membrane Modules. Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 529, 263-273.
- Wang, C., Tang, H., Yu, S.C.M., and Duan, F., (2016), Active control of vortex-induced vibrations of a circular cylinder using windward-suction-leeward-blowing Actuation, Physics of Fluids, 28: 053601, DOI: 10.1063/1.4947246.
- Wang. C., Tang. H., Yu, S. C. M., and Duan, F., (2017) Control of vortex-induced vibration using a pair of synthetic jets: Influence of active lock-on, Physics of Fluids 29: 083602 (also featured on http://facebook.com/PhysicsofFluids).
- Cheong, K.H., Tang, K.J.W., Koh, J. M., Yu, S.C. M., Acharya, U., and Xie, N.G., (2019) An efficient approach to improve cooling efficiency at data centers, IEEE Access, Vol. 7, issue 1, 153799-153809.
- Cheong, K.H., Teo, Y., Koh, J. M., Yu, S.C. M. and Acharya, U., (2019) A Simulation-Aided Approach in Improving Thermal-Visual Comfort and Power Efficiency in Buildings, Journal of Building Engineering, 27:100936, August.
- Gao, L., Guo, H.F. and Yu, S. C. M. (2020) A general definition of formation time for starting jet sand forced plumes, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 886, 10 March 2020, A6.
- Gao, L., Wang, X., Yu, S. C. M. Chyu, M.K. (2020) Near field development of the impulse and thrust for starting jets with finite discharged volume at low Reynolds numbers, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 902, A27.
- Kang Hao Cheong, Sandra Poeschmann, Joel Weijia Lai, Jin Ming Koh, U. Rajendra Acharya, Simon Ching Man Yu and Kenneth Jian Wei Tang (2020) Practical Automated Video Analytics for Crowd Monitoring and Counting IEEE Access, Vol. 7, Issue:1, 183252-18326
- Joy, J., Wang, P.C., Panisilvan, J., Yu, S. C. M. (2020) Numerical Investigation of NOx Emission Reduction in Non-Premixed Lean Reverseflow Combustor in a Micro Gas Turbine, Emission Control ScienceTechnology, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 285-300.
- Guo, H., Gao, L., and Yu, S.C.M. (2020) Vortex formation in starting buoyant jets at moderate Richardson numbers, Physics of Fluids (accepted for publication on 29 October 2020)
- Lee, J. Y., An, H., Wang, P. C., Hang, J. K. and Yu, S.C.M. (2020) Effects of liquid viscosity on bubble formation characteristics in a typical membrane bioreactor, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer