Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Degree in Electronic and Information Engineering
Entrance Year Sept 2023
Programme Code 42470-SY
Stream Code 42470-SY
Mode of Study Full-time
Programme Intake 44
Fund Type Government-Funded
Credits Required for Graduation
Normally 67 (plus 8 training credits)
The exact credits required for each AD/HD holder will depend on the approved credits transferred.
Dr K.H. Loo BEng, PhD, MIEEE Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr K.H. Loo
BEng, PhD, MIEEE
- The Department of Electronic and Information Engineering offers 3 Bachelor Degree programmes. For students who are also interested in applying for the “Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Information Security” (42480) and “Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Internet and Multimedia Technologies” (42477-SY) programmes, in addition to Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Electronic Information Engineering, you should:
- put 2 of these programmes as your 1st and 2nd priority programmes via PolyU eAdmission system on/before the application deadline;
- complete and return the Notification of Interest for 2023/24 Admission form to email@example.com (link sends e-mail) by the application deadline to indicate the 3rd priority programme you wish the Department to consider.
- The curriculum of this programme, including the credit requirements, will be subject to review regularly.
- The exact study duration and number of credits to be studied will depend on the entry qualification of individual AD/HD admittees.
- Students can take a number of extra Electives in areas such as accountancy, business, finance or management, among others.
Aims and Characteristics
This programme combines sound scientific principles with engineering applications to help students develop into competent and effective engineering professionals in the areas of integrated circuit design, electronics, telecommunications, computers, embedded systems, and multimedia technologies and programming.
As electronic products become more miniaturised, intelligent and personal, they also become more influential in our daily lives. Examples of such products include digital cameras, smartphones, smart watches, GPS devices, digital entertainment devices, electronic medical equipment, wearable devices, and so on. The design, development and manufacture of these products require professional competence in the areas of electronics, integrated circuits, computers, telecommunications, multimedia signal processing, software, embedded systems, and programming, which form the subject contents of this programme.
This programme emphasises both theory and application in learning and teaching. The curriculum includes lectures, projects, presentations, laboratory exercises and various industry training and placement opportunities. After completing the fundamental subjects in Year One, students may choose their professional development specialism by selecting subjects in different areas in Year Two.
The programme curriculum is designed for students who have already studied some fundamental subjects in electronics, engineering science, programming, information technology and mathematics. The Year One curriculum consists mainly of intermediate and advanced subjects in the areas of telecommunications, computers, data and computer communications, integrated circuits, control engineering, embedded systems and programming. In Year Two, students can choose from among a list of advanced technical elective subjects, and complete a capstone project to strengthen their technical knowledge and skills.
Students may also engage in an exchange scheme and earn recognised credits in a university outside Hong Kong for one semester during Year Two.