Facilitator: Barbara Tam, EDC
Facilitator: John Sager, EDC
Date: Starts 19 July 2021
Who Should Apply?
All new full-time staff with regular teaching responsibilities are welcome to the programme “Introduction to University Teaching (IUT)”.
New staff who meet the following criteria can be exempted:
- Possess at least one year of full-time teaching experience at an university at Lecturer/Assistant Professor level or above, or
- Have received teacher training equivalent to IUT (at least 20 hours on topics that focus on the teaching and learning process)
The policy document can be found at https://www2.polyu.edu.hk/edc/staff_corner/iut.html.
New teachers who have met the criteria and wish to be exempted should fill out the Online Exemption Declaration Form (PolyU VPN access is required if you try to access this form out of campus). The system will send a copy to the respective teacher’s Head of Department, and a copy to EDC for programme planning purposes.
Those who have met the criteria but wish to attend the programme are most welcome to enrol!
PolyU places high value on good teaching. This programme is designed to get new PolyU teachers off to a good start.
It is intended that through participating in this programme, new teachers will be able to:
- Lay strong foundations for active learning from the first class.
- Plan lessons that take account of how students learn, the characteristics of PolyU students, and PolyU policies and practices.
- Design and use tasks that will help students learn in different teaching and learning contexts.
- Interact with students in a respectful way and take account of their opinions.
- Communicate effectively in the classroom.
- Use technology to help students learn.
- Choose assessment methods that are fit for purpose.
- Prevent and manage inappropriate classroom behaviour.
- Reflect on and improve their teaching skills.
EDC Coordinators: Barbara Tam & John Sager