Student Exchange Scheme
The PolyU International Student Exchange is an exchange programme for undergraduates. Since 2006, the Department also commenced their departmental exchange arrangement with various partner universities around the world, such as Imperial College of London, The Catholic University of America, University of Calgary, The University of Illinois and Delft University of Technology. The number of exchange students over the years is showed in the following graph.
Students who participate in the exchange programme will benefit not only from enhancing educational experiences but also awareness of multi-culture and improving language skills. Meanwhile, Sponsorship and Hardship Fund is available for eligible exchange students.
- Full-time PolyU undergraduate student with Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.7 or above.
- Fluent in English or Putonghua.
- Independent, outgoing, flexible, sociable.
- Active participation in extra-curricular activities.
- Students apply by first choosing the exchange destination through the Department.
- All short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview.
- Nominations will be made through the International Affairs Office.
- Application through the International Affairs Office will be processed for a minimum of eight weeks before receiving the formal acceptance letter from the overseas institution.
- Students shall choose subjects from the overseas institution (“the overseas subjects”) for pre-approval of credit transfer (“the pre-approval”) by the Department.
- Students shall ensure that the pre-approval has been properly completed before committed to the overseas study.
- Students shall select the overseas subjects according to the curriculum stipulated in the Definitive Programme Document (or commonly known as Programme Scheme). Otherwise, eligibility for graduation could be adversely affected (i.e. delay).
- Students who apply for the exchange programme in semester 1 only will be approved only if the following two conditions are met:
- Students should resume study at the PolyU on or before the commencement day of the Semester 2; and
- The host University agrees to deliver their examination papers and let the students to sit for the examinations at the PolyU if the examination period of the host University falls behind the commencement of the Semester 2 of the PolyU. This part will be confirmed by the host University through the assistance of the International Affairs Office.
- Regarding the credit transfer approval, students must go through the pre-approval process. In addition, the final credit transfer approval (no matter transfer for credits and/or grades) is subject to the grades attained by the student in the host University. Only grades equivalent to “fair / satisfactory / adequate” level or above will be approved. Grades with conditions, e.g. marginal pass / barely inadequate / less satisfactory” or etc will not be approved.
- For students who join the exchange programme for full year with the same institution, both subject credits earned and subject grade attained will be recognized, if the credit transfer application is approved. For students who join the exchange programme for one semester with the same institution, only subject credits earned will be recognized, if the credit transfer application is approved.
For more information about the exchange programme organized by the University, please browse the website of International Affairs Office at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/iao/polyu-what-is.php.