Dr Hu Xiaoling is an Associate Professor in Department of Biomedical Engineering at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). Dr Hu’s team is a leading group in designing hybrid robotsfor Automation in stroke rehabilitation. They invented the technology integrating neuromuscular electrical stimulation and robot (NMES-robot) in one system for more effective neural rehabilitation after stroke. The technology has been implemented into a series of robotic systems, from rigid exoskeletons to soft exosuits, for persons with different needs after stroke, e.g. Rehabilitation Sleeve and Mobile Exoneuromusculoskeletons for the upper and lower limbs in self-help telerehabilitation. These invented systems received significant recognition from the industry and have been commercialized in Hong Kong and Mainland China for rehabilitation services in collaboration with public and private healthcare providers. In 2023, a new robot-assisted stroke rehabilitation service is opened in the Jockey Club Rehabilitation Engineering Clinic under PolyU BME to serve the community.
Academic and Professional Experience
- Associate Editor of the Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation and IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Vice Chair of the IEEE Engineering, Medicine, and Biology Society (EMBS), Hong Kong and Macau Joint Chapter
- Assessment panel member of the “Innovation and Technology Fund for Application in Elderly and Rehabilitation Care” (I&T Fund), Social Welfare Department, Hong Kong SAR
- Committee member of the Chinese Association of Rehabilitation Medicine -Technology Translation and Industrialization Committee
- Consultant of the Guangdong Society of Biomedical Engineering – Rehabilitation Engineering