Dr. Puxiang Lai received his Bachelor from Tsinghua University in 2002, Master from Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2005, and PhD from Boston University in 2011. After that, he joined Dr. Lihong Wang’s lab in Washington University in St. Louis as a Postdoctoral Research Associate. In September 2015, he joined Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a tenure-track Assistant Professor.
Dr. Lai’s research focuses on the synergy of light and sound as well as its applications in biomedicine, such as wavefront shaping, photoacoustic imaging, acousto-optic imaging, and computational optical imaging. His research has fueled more than 40 top journal publications, such as Nature Photonics, Nature Communications, and Advanced Sciences. He has two USA/world patents, and has been invited to give more than 50 seminars or invited talks. Since 2015, his research has been continuously supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Hong Kong Research Grant Council (RGC), Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC), Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province, and Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Commission (STIC), with allocated budget of more than 14 million Hong Kong dollars.
He was awarded the 12th Chinese National 1000 Talent Plan Youth Scholar, the 2016-2017 Hong Kong RGC Early Career Award, the 2018 Hong Kong Polytechnic University Faculty of Engineering Research Grant Achievement Award, and the 2019 PolyU K.C. Wong Belt and Road Visiting Fellowship Award. As a recognition for his contribution to the field, currently Puxiang serves as Associate Editor of Journal of Visual Computing for Industry, Biomedicine, and Art (VCIBA), Guest Editor of Journal of Innovative Optics in Health and Science (JIOHS), Committee Member of the Biomedical Optics Panel in the Chinese Society of Biomedical Engineering, and Member of the Medical Instrument Judging Panel in the Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Commission.
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Biophotonics Lab, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong SAR, China, Sep 2015 – current
- Associate Professor, Hong Kong Polytechnic University Shenzhen Research Institute, Shenzhen, China, Jan 2017 – Current
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Optical Imaging Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis, USA , Jul 2010 – Aug 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant (Ph.D.), Physical Acoustics Lab, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Boston University, USA, Sep 2005 – Jun 2010
- Graduate Research Assistant (M.S.) , Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, Sep 2002 – Jul 2005