Tel: 2766 7674
Scopus Author ID: 54883897200
Research and Teaching Interests
Research: Foot Ulcers, Force & Motion Analysis, Shear Force & Wearable Sensors, Mobile Medical Apps.
Teaching: Bioinstrumentation, Engineering Software (LabVIEW, MATLAB, Mobile Apps), Robotics, Service Learning.
Awards and Professional Activities
2017 Invited Speaker: EDC Teacher Training Workshop, How to Make Active Learning Happen in Your Class: Lessons Learnt from the Front-lines “Active Learning: Low-Tech Style”, PolyU, 12 January 2017. [ https://goo.gl/DweWLU ]
2017 Invited Speaker: Clinical Engineering Education Workshop: The 16th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering (ICBME 2016), “An internationalised curriculum for students to explore their entrepreneurial passions”, Singapore, 7-10 December 2016. [ https://goo.gl/x53Lxj ]
2016 Symposium Chairperon: Symposium cum Exhibition on Development of STEM Education in Hong Kong, Hong Kong PolyU, 5th November 2016.
2016 Judging Panel: Youth Mechanic Association of Hong Kong (YMHK) Robotics Challenge, Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education campus, 02 July 2016.
2015 Newspaper Report BME2S03Ss Service Learning event「由『理』開始‧Stem全接觸」and its impact on STEM education in Hong Kong. [Published: Kung Pao Po 5th Aug 2016 at http://kkp.org.hk/node/12393 and on.cc東網專訊 on 17th July 2016 at http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/20160717/bkn-20160717073002441-0717_00822_001.html]
2010 Invited Speaker at the Scottish Centre for Innovation in Spinal Cord Injury, Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, United Kingdom, 19 March 2010. Topic: “Development of a low-cost triaxial load sensor and its possible applications in biomedical research”.
2010 Best oral presentation: 1st Prize, Research Presentation Day, Faculty of Engineering, University of Strathclyde, UK, January 2010.
Representative Publications (Journal and Conferences)
- Wearing SC, Grigg NL, Lau HC, Smeathers JE, “Footprint-based estimates of arch structure are confounded by body composition in adults”, J Orthop Res. 2012 Aug; 30(8):1351-4. doi: 10.1002/jor.22058.
- Lau HC, et al, “The validity of footprint-based measures of arch structure: revisiting the debate of fat versus flat feet in adults”, 3rd Congress of the International Foot and Ankle Biomechanics Community (i-FAB 2012), April 2012, Sydney, Australia.
- Lau HC, et al, “An economical way to measure plantar shear distribution.”, Clinical Applications of Foot Pressure Measurement User Group Meeting (IPEM), February 2011, Sheffield, United Kingdom.
- Lau HC, et al, “Low-cost bi-axial shear stress transducer: a step closer to shear distribution measurement”, 2nd congress of the International Foot and Ankle Biomechanics Community (i-FAB 2010), September 2010, Seattle, USA.
- Lau HC, et al, “Low-cost shear stress distribution measurement: is it possible?”, 6th World Congress on Biomechanics (WCB2010), August 2010, Singapore.
- Lau HC, et al, “A low-cost tri-axial load sensor system: design, characteristics and its potentials”, XXII Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics (ISB2009), Jul 2009, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Lau HC, et al, “Time dependent characteristics of the “Kent” triaxial force transducer system for in-shoe load distribution measurement”, 11th EMED Scientific Meeting (ESM2008), July 2008, Dundee, United Kingdom