- Cellular Senescence and Skeletal Aging: Molecular Mechanism, Drug discovery and Clinical Implications.
- Precision Medicine for Skeletal Ageing: Deep-learning Patient-specific Prediction Model for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Data-driven Community-based Bone&Joint Healthcare Revolution
Dr. Wen obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery from West China School of Medicine and practiced in West China Hospital, a top-ranked hospital in China. Later, he completed his postgraduate training in the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology of The University of Hong Kong and The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and received Master of Medical Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees, respectively. Under the auspices of China Medical Board and Health and Medical Research Fund, Dr. Wen received further training in Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Johns Hopkins University in U.S.A, and Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, University of Oxford.
In his early research career, Dr. Wen focused on the molecular mechanism and clinical implications of the age-related skeletal disorders such as osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. He, for the first time, discovered endothelin-1, a known vasoconstrictor, in the pathogenesis of subchondral bone disturbance and osteoarthritis. This work lays a solid foundation for vascular etiology of OA, and opens a new avenue for OA prevention and treatment. After joining PolyU BME, Dr. Wen connects orthopedic surgeons with biomedical engineers to develop a novel artificial intelligence-based precision medicine approach in a unique southern Chinese knee osteoarthritis patients cohort. With a newly established smart ageing hub in PolyU BME, Dr. Wen dreams to extend his work from hospital, clinic setting to the community service.
- Chan B, Wen CY. Spontaneous hypertensive rat exhibits bone and meniscus phenotypes of osteoarthritis: is it an appropriate control for MetS-associated OA? Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2017 Aug 10. pii: annrheumdis-2017-211995. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2017-211995. (IF = 12.811)
- Ma, F, Liu N, Hu N, Wen CY, Tang B. “Synthesis of strontium chondroitin sulfate and the evaluation of its capability to attenuate osteoarthritis”. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2017(170): 217-225. (IF = 4.811)
- Sin A, Tang W, Wen C, Chung SK, Chiu KY. The emerging role of endothelin-1 in the pathogenesis of subchondral bone disturbance and osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis & Cartilage 2015 Apr;23(4):516-24. (IF = 4.742)
- Wen CY, Lohmander L. S. Does post-injury ACL reconstruction prevent future OA? Rev. Rheumatol. 2014 Oct;10(10):577-8. (IF = 12.188)
- Zhen GH, Wen CY, Jia XF, Li Y, Mears S, Askin F, Frassica F, Chang W, Crane J, Yao J, Nayfeh T, Johnson C, Artemov D, Cosgarea A, Carrino J, Wan M, Lu W and Cao X. Inhibition of TGFβ signaling in subchondral bone mesenchymal stem cells prevents onset of osteoarthritis. Nature Medicine 2013 Jun; 19(6): 704-12.(IF = 30.357)