A. Campus Sustainability Policies
PolyU has long been committed to fostering campus sustainability. The University works to integrate and implement the highest possible degree of sustainability at all levels and all aspects of the University’s daily operations, campus development, education and programme design, research, as well as promote sustainability through engagement and knowledge transfer to the community. To demonstrate our commitment to sustainability, the University has the following campus sustainability policies and related practices that provide a sound framework and clear governance for the University’s sustainability development:
- Sustainability Policy
- Energy and Greenhouse Gas Policy
- Green Procurement Policy
- Sustainable Infrastructure Policy
- Waste Management Policy
- Water Conservation Policy
- Paper Reduction Policy
- Environmental Policy
In relation to sustainability-conscious food consumption:
- Position on Sustainability-conscious Food Consumption in Official Entertainment
Students should adopt all applicable undertakings of these policies to ensure sustainability is embedded in the University’s operational activities across all our campuses.
Students have a responsibility to follow these guidelines in their study environment, activities and across the University as a whole where they exist.
Please refer to the PolyU Green Concepts website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ greencampus/en/about-us/policies.html for details of PolyU’s campus sustainability policies and guidelines.
B. Green Promotion and Campus Activities
Students should adopt green practices in organizing as well as promoting their events and activities.
- Go Electronic – Minimize printing and use websites, social networks, online platforms and provide QR codes or search tips to promote and collect feedbacks.
- Use Resources Wisely – Avoid serving bottled or packed drinks and avoid providing free gifts/souvenirs and plastic/non-woven bags (“environmentally-friendly” bags). Encourage Bring Your Own (BYO), consider green products and minimal packaging, reuse/recycle/donate/upcycle surplus materials, reuse banners/display material and provide water dispensers. Consider reusable and environmentally friendly decorations.
- Adopt Appropriate Venue Management practices (indoor) – Maintain an average indoor temperature between 24 oC and 26oC and turn off all lights, air-conditioning and equipment after use.
- Support Green Catering – Avoid using single-use food and beverage containers and cutleries and ask for reusable ones from the caterer. Plan ahead wisely to minimize food wastage. Recover food leftovers or collect and recycle food leftovers as the last resort.
- Be Eco-conscious during Post-event Management and Dismantling – Avoid direct disposal of unwanted items but make good use of the collection and recycling bins/facilities on campus or explore appropriate channels to handle these items. Collect unused items for future use.
- Go Plastic-free – Do not offer plastic bottled water in events and activities*. Bring your own water bottles and make good use of the water dispensers to refill them while on campus. Avoid the use of single-use plastic items such as disposable lunchboxes, cups, plastic straws, plastic bags, plastic wrapping or packaging, and plastic venue decoration materials as much as possible.
*PolyU has stopped the sale of plastic bottled water (non-sparkling, unflavoured drinking water in any single-serving plastic bottle of less than 1 liter) since September 2017.
Please refer to the PolyU Green Concepts website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/greencampus/en/about-us/policies.html for details of the Guideline for Green Promotion and Campus Activities.
C. Building a DREAM CAMPUS together
PolyU upholds strict adherence to sustainability principles across campus developments and daily operations. It has also been actively reaching out to the PolyU community to raise awareness of sustainability and promoting a green culture. It spares no effort in engaging and motivating the PolyU community to help to develop our campus into a sustainable DREAM CAMPUS in the aspects of:
Dining – Campus dining is continually increasing its sustainable practices and opportunities have been identified to promote green dining habits on a larger scale and to decrease food waste generation. You should strive to:
- Practise a “More Veg, Less Meat” dining habit.
- Order what you need, empty your plates and pack up leftovers.
- Bring Your Own bottle, mug/tumbler, food container and cutleries. Avoid using one-time disposable ones.
Resources – The University endeavors to integrate resource consciousness into its routine operations and activities and to adopt practices with a strong waste prevention focus. You are encouraged to:
- Think before you print. Reduce paper consumption and plan carefully to avoid unnecessary print quantities. Turn to electronic platforms and tools for meetings, projects, and handling publicity.
- Recycle paper, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles and rechargeable batteries. Resource recycling points are available at various convenient locations on campus. Make good use of the UniRe® (4-in-1 recycling bins) on campus and develop a recycling habit.
- Exchange secondhand items you no longer require for something that are useful with other students.
- Donate unwanted items to charity organizations. Collection boxes are available on campus and student hostels.
- Adopt a less wasteful behavior and follow a more sustainable consumption habit.
Energy – PolyU supports energy conservation at the highest levels and ongoing campus-wide activities are held to promote energy awareness among students. You should:
- Switch-off light, air-conditioning and electrical equipment when not in use or you are the last person to leave a room.
- Participate in various energy-saving campaigns and adopt a low-carbon lifestyle.
Awareness – The University has been running activities and campaigns to expand awareness on sustainability throughout the campus staff and student population. You should support to:
- Participate proactively in campus sustainability programmes e.g. talks and sharing sessions, upcycling workshops, urban farming activities, Plastic Free Friday events, VeggieLicious and the annual PolyU Campus Sustainability Weeks to experience the essence of sustainable living.
- Express views and offer suggestions on campus sustainability developments and related projects through surveys or engagement activities held by the University.
- Explore and appreciate our environment. Respect nature and biodiversity.
- Become more eco-minded with your daily habits and share this with peers and families.
More Walking – PolyU devotes to building an ‘easy-to-walk’ campus, allowing the entire university community to reduce unnecessary use of energy when going to their destinations. You should strive to:
- Walk 2 floors up and 3 floors down.
- Use less elevator and escalator.
- Reduce reliance on transportation means when commuting.
Students should strive to be good stewards and advocate sustainability by implementing various sustainability initiatives within the campus environment.
Please refer to the PolyU Green Concepts website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/greencampus/dream for more details.
D. More Online Resources