Dr KOO Ching-hua, Anita 顧靜華博士
Class and stratification;
Migrant population in China
Social and Cultural Dimensions of Health
Sociology of Health
Being a Professional in the New World: The Spirit and Promise of Professionalism
Gender and Social Changes in Chinese Societies
Selected Research Projects:
- 2018-2021 ‘Gendering the New Generation of Chinese Workers in Vocational Schools’, General Research Fund, RGC, Hong Kong Government. (PI)
- 2016-2019 ‘Learning to Labor: Social Media and Migrant Labor Protection in Mainland China’. Collaborative Research Fund Scheme, RGC, Hong Kong Government. (Co-PI)
- 2013-2016 ‘Vocational Education and Social Mobility of Migrant Youth in China’, General Research Fund, RGC, Hong Kong Government. (PI)
Refereed Journal papers:
- Negotiating Individualisation in Neoliberal China: Youth transitions among the new generation of rural migrants. Koo, Anita. In Children’s Geographies.
- Temporary Labor Migration and Skill Transfer in Japan: Migration Experiences and Outcomes of Technical Intern Trainees from Vietnam and China. Siu, Kaxton and Anita Koo. In Journal of Social Issues.
- Gender Ideologies of Youth in Post-socialist China: their gender-role attitudes, antecedents, and socio-psychological impacts. Koo, Anita, Bryant Hui and Ngai Pun. In Chinese Sociological Review 52(2): 487-514.
- Having Less but Giving More: Work experience and prosocial behavior of Chinese working-class youth. Hui, Bryant, Ngai Pun, Jack Qiu and Anita Koo. In Youth & Society 52(8): 1582-1601.
- Attempting to Transgress Neoliberal Value: Constructing a Micro-Foundation of Social Values of Working-Class Youth in Vocational Schools in China. Lu, Benny, Anita Koo and Ngai Pun. In The Sociological Review 67(5): 1050-1065.
- Double Contradiction of Schooling: Class reproduction and working-class agency at vocational schools in China. Pun, Ngai and Anita Koo. In British Journal of Sociology of Education 40(1): 50-64.
- Expansion of Vocational Education in Neoliberal China: Hope and despair among rural youth. Koo, Anita. In Journal of Education Policy 31(1): 46-59.
- Is Hong Kong no longer a land of opportunities after the 1997 handover?: A comparison of patterns of social mobility between 1989 and 2007. Wong, Yi-Lee and Anita Koo. In Asian Journal of Social Science 44(4/5): 516-545.
- A “World-Class” (Labor) Camp/us: Foxconn and China’s new generation of labor migrants. Pun, Ngai and Anita Koo. In positions 23(3): 411-435.
- The Doubly Disadvantaged: How return migrant children fail to access and deploy capitals for academic success in rural schools. Koo, Anita, Holly Ming and Bill Tsang. 2014. In Sociology, 48(4): 795-811.
- Is there any chance to get ahead? Education aspiration and expectations of migrant families in China. Koo, Anita. In British Journal of Sociology of Education, 33(4): 547-564.
- Parenting Style and Youth Outcome in the UK. Chan, Tak-Wing and Anita Koo. In European Sociological Review, 27(3): 364-384.
- Professionalization of the Shipping Industry via Postgraduate Education. Ng, Adolf, Anita Koo and Athanasios Pallis. In Ocean and Coastal Management, 54(5): 364-373.
- Family in Flux: Benchmarking Family Changes in Hong Kong Society. Koo, Anita and Thomas Wong. In Social Transformations in Chinese Societies, 4: 47-56.
- The Motivations and Added-Values of Embarking on Postgraduate Professional Education: Evidences from the maritime industry. Ng, Adolf, Anita Koo and Jarrod Ho. 2009. In Transport Policy, 16(5): 251-258.
- Social Economy in China and the World, edited by Pun, Ngai, Ben Ku, Hairong Yan and Anita Koo, London: Routledge.
- 《社會經濟在中國：超越資本主義的理論與實踐》，潘毅、嚴海蓉、古學斌、顧靜華 編（北京：社會科學文獻） (Social Economy in China: Beyond the Imagination of Capitalism, edited by Pun, Ngai, Hairong Yan, Ben Ku and Anita Koo, Beijing: Chinese Social Sciences Academic Literature Press)
- 《不一樣的香港社會經濟》，潘毅、陳鳳儀、顧靜華、盧燕儀編（香港：香港商務印書館）(Alternative and Social Economy in Hong Kong, edited by Pun, Ngai, Pauline Chan, Anita Koo and Y.Y. Lo, Hong Kong: Commercial Press)