Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Social Work (PT) (Self-financed)
PROGRAMME CODE: 54460-SWA/SWD/SWH
NORMAL DURATION : 4 years
NORMAL CREDITS REQUIRED FOR AWARD : Please refer to programme details DOWNLOADED here
FUND TYPE : Self-financed
PROGRAMME LEADER : Dr. LEUNG Sze-ming, Samuel
PROGRAMME AIMS & OBJECTIVES
We will prepare you for professional practice in social work. You will become a competent, autonomous, humane and versatile social worker who will be well qualified to address the needs and problems of the contemporary era.
The aims and objectives of the Programme are:
- to deepen conceptual understanding of the nature of social work;
- to enhance direct practice competence for effective functioning in the various roles of social workers facing increasingly complex social problems;
- to expand knowledge and develop critical understanding of the social sciences as a foundation to inform social work theory and practice;
- to study social issues and problems from a wide perspective, drawing on a range of theoretical and methodological approaches;
- to develop basic understanding of, and beginning skills in, supervision, management, programme planning, and research in social work;
- to develop learning competence in using flexibly and creatively information, knowledge, theories, and resources for on-going improvement of professional practice.
- A strong social science foundation will strengthen your analytical ability and familiarise you with the social, economic and cultural contexts of social problems and social work actions.
- Theory is integrated with practice in this programme. We recognise the need to develop not only your knowledge and theoretical skills, but also your ability to feel, empathise and appreciate.
- You will develop a critical understanding of the social sciences as a foundation for social work study and practice.
- You will also study social issues and problems from a wide perspective, drawing on a range of theories and methods.
- A basic competence in supervision, management, planning and research in social work will also be developed, as they will be your abilities in using information, knowledge, theories and resources flexibly and creatively.
This programme is offered by the Department of Applied Social Sciences (APSS) of PolyU, and is administered by PolyU SPEED. Upon successful completion of the programme, the degree will be awarded by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
An Associate Degree, a Diploma or Higher Diploma in Social Work from PolyU or other institution recognized by the Social Workers Registration Board for registration.
The details of the Programme can be DOWNLOADED here.
Classes are normally scheduled on weekday evenings and Saturdays at the PolyU Hung Hom Bay Campus or PolyU West Kowloon Campus.
Graduates are eligible for registration with the Social Workers Registration Board as Registered Social Workers (RSWs).
With the qualification obtained, you will be employable as Social Workers in Social Welfare Department and Non-government Organizations. You will also be qualified for a variety of human service posts in other fields of social service and private organizations.
For enquiry of programme information, please contact Ms Lilian Leung at 2766 5716 or email to Miss Phoebe Leung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For enquiry of admission and other administrative matters, please contact SPEED at 3400 2828 or email to email@example.com.
DEFINITIVE PROGRAMME DOCUMENT 2016-17