Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship(s)/ Scholarship(s) for Disabled Students 2017/18
Application deadline: 12:00nn on 21 September 2017
Amount: HKD50,000- each (Fellowship)
HKD40,000- each (Scholarship)
Quantity: 1 for Fellowship (to be competed with nominees from other institutions)
1 for Scholarship (to be competed with nominees from other institutions)
Donated by: Sir Edward Youde Memorial (SEYM) Award Schemes
- local student with the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong or are permitted to stay in Hong Kong without restriction;
- have resided in Hong Kong for at least three years as at 1.9.2017;
- have special educational needs as referred to in the Hong Kong Rehabilitation Programme Plan released by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region;
- not be engaged in full-time employment;
- not be nominated for the SEYM Fellowships for Postgraduate Research Students 2017/18 or the SEYM Scholarships for Undergraduate and Diploma Students 2017/18
# Students with special educational needs (SEN) include those having physical disabilities, visual impairment, hearing impairment, speech and language impairment, attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorders, specific learning difficulties, autism spectrum disorders intellectual disabilities and/or mental illness.
(Candidates may be required by the Donor to attend an assessment)
- full-time local UGC-funded postgraduate research disabled student
- Postgraduate research students should have registered for a UGC-funded Master degree on or after 1 July 2016 or Ph.D. degree on or after 1 July 2015
- full-time local UGC-funded non-first-year undergraduate disabled student**
** Senior-year /Advanced-standing students (who are sub-degree holders) admitted to a UGC-funded degree programme in 2017/18 may also be considered.
- standards of academic achievements and intellectual qualities relative to their individual disabilities;
- leadership qualities as demonstrated in their involvement in extra-curricular activities and/or community services;
- proficiency in the language in which the course / research is undertaken; and
- other personal qualities and potentials, including expected future contribution to Hong Kong.
- strategic importance of the research to the social, economic and technological development of Hong Kong;
- whether or not the research has been or is being done in Hong Kong; and
- possible completion of the research within 2 years for a master degree or 3 years for a doctorate degree.
The application documents must be well-typed and submitted IN HARD COPY to HJ402 (Emily Siu) by 12:00nn on 21 September 2017, Thursday. The application documents include:
1. *Completed Application Form with true signature;
(Click here to download Application Form for Fellowship)
(Click here to download Application Form for Scholarship)
2. *Copy of recent assessment result record OR academic transcript;
3 * [SEYM Scholarship applicant] (i) HKID card copy, (ii) Copy of Public Examination results, (iii) Copy of PolyU official transcript (issued by AS), (iv) Copy of certificate/ proof on extra-curricular activities and community services, (v) Copy of Scholarship(s)/ Award(s) certificates, (vi) Essay, etc.
* [SEYM Fellowship applicant] (i) HKID card copy, (ii) Copy of Admission Letter to the current Master degree/ Ph.D Programme, (iii) Copy of PolyU transcript (printed by AS/ Faculty/ RO), (iv) Copy of Certificate/ proof on extra-curricular activities and community services, (v) Essay, etc.
* [SEYM Disabled applicant] (i) the most recent medical report and supporting document such as assessment report issued by Education Bureau or approval letter for disability allowance;
4. Other supporting documents: (optional but highly preferred as reference)
4.1 List of non-academic achievement and personal statement (click here to download); Insert ListofNonAcademicAchievement
4.2 Copy of certificates or proof on extra-curricular activities and community services;
4.3 Proof of financial needs (e.g. government grants, loans, social security assistance, etc.)
(Item with * is compulsory.)
APSS will send an acknowledge email upon the receipt of application. If you hesitate whether the application is well received, please contact us ASAP.
Late submission will not be considered.
- APSS scholarship selection panel will screen all APSS applications and nominate 1 applicant to the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences (FHSS).
- FHSS will nominate 1 applicant to SRRL among all FHSS nominees.
- SRRL will conduct internal selection and nominate 1 nominee to the Donor among all PolyU nominees.
Shortlisted PolyU nominees must attend a selection interview in December 2017 tentatively hosted by Donor and compete against other nominees from other institutions.
Nominees who do not receive notification by the end of December 2017 should consider their nominations unsuccessful.
Awardees will be notified of the results by SRRL in around February/ March 2018.
Should you have any enquiry about the above scholarships application, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact APSS colleagues on 2766 5730 (Ms Rachel HUI) or 2766 5742 (Miss Emily SIU).