Dr FUNG Wai-tung, Ada 馮慧東博士
PhD in Medical Sciences (CUHK)
MSc in Clinical Gerontology (CUHK)
BA in Psychology (SFU)
Cognitive, mental and spiritual health in late life
Early detection, prevention and intervention for neurocognitive disorders
Subjective memory complaints in older adults
Late life anxiety disorders
Loneliness in community older adults
Determinants of successful and active ageing
Ageing, Family and Society
Special Seminar on Ageing and Service Management
Capstone Project for Applied Ageing studies and Services Management
Mental Health and the Aged
Academic Advisor of BA (Hons) in Applied Ageing Studies and Service Management
Current Research Projects:
Hong Kong - Vigilance and Memory Test (HKVMT) to enhance detection of early cognitive impairments in preclinical phase. (Funded by Innovation and Technology Fund for better living, Capacity: PI. Ref. No.: P0030020. Funding: $499,675. Study period: 01/09/2020 – 31/08/2023)
Development and validation of the Meaning and Purpose in Life Scale (MPIL). (Funded by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University Departmental General Research Fund, Capacity: PI. Ref. No.: P0033436. Funding: $99,700. Study period: 01/06/2020 – 30/11/2021)
Effects of Brushing Protocol (Repeated Tactile Stimulation with Joint Compression) on Cognitive, Psychosocial and Physiological Functioning of Older Adults. (Funded by Faculty Collaborative Research Scheme between Social Sciences and Health Sciences of the PolyU, Capacity: Co-PI. Ref. No.: P0030957. Funding: $250,000. Study period: 01/09/2020 – 31/08/2022)
Health education on self-help Home Falls and Accidents Screening Tool (Home-Fast). (Funded by Labour and Welfare Bureau Fund, Capacity: Co-I. Ref. No: -. Funding: $54,899. Study period: 01/06/2020 – Present)
Dementia Care Education Starts from Primary School Students. (Funded by Labour and Welfare Bureau Fund, Capacity: Co-I. Ref. No: -. Funding: $52,228. Study period: 01/06/2020 – Present)
Needs Analysis for Family Caregivers for People with Dementia. (Funded by Policy Innovation and Co-ordination Office, Capacity: Co-I. Ref. No.: A0031128. Funding: $483,862.5. Study period: 01/06/2020 – 30/11/2021)
Health determinants for late onset dementia and its associated mortality in Hong Kong Chinese older adults. (Funded by HMRF Commissioned Study 2018. Ref. number: CFS-CUHK3. Capacity: Co-PI. Funding: $7,492,300. Study period: 1/7/2019 – 30/6/2022)
The Hong Kong Mental Morbidity Survey for Older People – MMSOP (Funded by HMRF Commissioned Study 2018. Ref. number: MHS-P1(Part 3)-CUHK. Capacity: Co-I. Funding: $14,996,125. Study duration: 1/1/2019 – 30/6/2021)
- Fung, AW. Effect of physical exercise and medication on enhancing cognitive function in older adults with vascular risk. Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. 2020; 1–5.
- Lipnicki DM, Makkar SR, Crawford JD, Thalamuthu A, Kochan NA, Lima-Costa MF, … Fung A, … et al. Determinants of cognitive performance and decline in 20 diverse ethno-regional groups: A COSMIC collaboration cohort study. PLoS medicine. 2019; 16(7): e1002853-e.
- Qin P, He J, Wang Z, Chen X, Li J, Fung AWT, et al. Efavirenz use and neurocognitive performance among older people living with HIV who were on antiretroviral therapy. AIDS Care. 2019:1-9.
- Fung AWT, Lee ATC, Cheng ST, Lam LCW. Loneliness interacts with family relationship in relation to cognitive function in Chinese older adults. International psychogeriatrics. 2019; 31(4):467-75.
- Lu H, Ni X, Fung AWT, Lam LCW. Mapping the Proxies of Memory and Learning Function in Senior Adults with High-performing, Normal Aging and Neurocognitive Disorders. Journal of Alzheimer's disease : JAD. 2018;64(3):815-26.
- Fung AW, Lam LCW. Validation of a computerized Hong Kong - vigilance and memory test (HK-VMT) to detect early cognitive impairment in healthy older adults. Aging & mental health. 2018:1-7.
- Fung AWT, Lee JSW, Lee ATC, Lam LCW. Anxiety symptoms predicted decline in episodic memory in cognitively healthy older adults: A 3-year prospective study. International journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2018;33(5):748-54.
- Ma DY, Wong CHY, Leung GTY, Fung AWT, Chan WC, Lam LCW. Physical Exercise Helped to Maintain and Restore Functioning in Chinese Older Adults With Mild Cognitive Impairment: A 5-Year Prospective Study of the Hong Kong Memory and Ageing Prospective Study (HK-MAPS). Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2017;18(4):306-11.
- Lu H, Chan SSM, Fung AWT, Lam LCW. Beyond a Differential Diagnosis: Cognitive and Morphometric Decoding of Information Processing Speed in Senior Adults with DSM-5 Mild Neurocognitive Disorders. Journal of Alzheimer's disease : JAD. 2017;58(3):927-37.
- Lipnicki DM, Crawford JD, Dutta R, Thalamuthu A, Kochan NA, Andrews G, … Fung AWT, … et al. Age-related cognitive decline and associations with sex, education and apolipoprotein E genotype across ethnocultural groups and geographic regions: a collaborative cohort study. PLoS medicine. 2017;14(3):e1002261.
- Fung AWT, Lam LCW. A cross-sectional study on clinical correlates of anxiety disorders in 613 community living older adults in Hong Kong. International journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2017;32(7):742-9.
- Fung AW, Chan WC, Wong CS, Chen EY, Ng RM, Lee EH, et al. Prevalence of anxiety disorders in community dwelling older adults in Hong Kong. International psychogeriatrics. 2017;29(2):259-67.
- Lu H, Law WY, Fung AW, Lam LC. Evaluating the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) and its subtests for DSM-5 mild neurocognitive disorders (NCD): Does age have an effect on the screening accuracy? Journal of psychosomatic research. 2016;85:26-7.
- Lu H, Fung AW, Chan SS, Lam LC. Disturbance of attention network functions in Chinese healthy older adults: an intra-individual perspective. International psychogeriatrics. 2016;28(2):291-301.
- Lu H, Chan SS, Fung AW, Lam LC. Utility of Montreal Cognitive Assessment (Hong Kong Version) in the Diagnosis of Mild Neurocognitive Disorders (NCD): NCD due to Alzheimer Disease (NCD-AD) and NCD due to Vascular Disease (NCD-Vascular). Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2016;17(4):366-7.
- Lu H, Chan SS, Fung AW, Lam LC. Efficiency of Attentional Components in Elderly with Mild Neurocognitive Disorders Shown by the Attention Network Test. Dementia and geriatric cognitive disorders. 2016;41(1-2):93-8.
- Sachdev PS, Lipnicki DM, Kochan NA, Crawford JD, Thalamuthu A, Andrews G, … Fung AWT, … et al. The Prevalence of Mild Cognitive Impairment in Diverse Geographical and Ethnocultural Regions: The COSMIC Collaboration. PloS one. 2015;10(11):e0142388.
- Lam LC, Ong PA, Dikot Y, Sofiatin Y, Wang H, Zhao M, … Fung AWT, … et al. Intellectual and physical activities, but not social activities, are associated with better global cognition: a multi-site evaluation of the cognition and lifestyle activity study for seniors in Asia (CLASSA). Age and ageing. 2015;44(5):835-40.
- Lam LC, Chan WC, Leung T, Fung AW, Leung EM. Would older adults with mild cognitive impairment adhere to and benefit from a structured lifestyle activity intervention to enhance cognition?: a cluster randomized controlled trial. PloS one. 2015;10(3):e0118173.
- Tse CS, Chang JF, Fung AW, Lam LC, Hau KT, Leung GT, et al. The utility of a non-verbal prospective memory measure as a sensitive marker for early-stage Alzheimer's disease in Hong Kong. International psychogeriatrics. 2014:1-12.
- Ma SL, Tang NL, Leung GT, Fung AW, Lam LC. Estrogen receptor alpha polymorphisms and the risk of cognitive decline: A 2-year follow-up study. The American journal of geriatric psychiatry : official journal of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. 2014;22(5):489-98.
- Chang J, Tse CS, Leung GT, Fung AW, Hau KT, Chiu HF, et al. Bias in discriminating very mild dementia for older adults with different levels of education in Hong Kong. International psychogeriatrics. 2014;26(6):995-1010.
- Wong CH, Leung GT, Fung AW, Chan WC, Lam LC. Cognitive predictors for five-year conversion to dementia in community-dwelling Chinese older adults. International psychogeriatrics. 2013;25(7):1125-34.
- Tse CS, Chang JF, Leung GT, Fung AW, Hau KT, Chiu HF, et al. Effects of education on very mild dementia among Chinese people in Hong Kong: potential mediators in the Cantonese Mini-Mental State Examination tasks. Aging & mental health. 2013;17(3):310-8.
- Sachdev PS, Lipnicki DM, Kochan NA, Crawford JD, Rockwood K, Xiao S, … Fung AWT, … et al. COSMIC (Cohort Studies of Memory in an International Consortium): an international consortium to identify risk and protective factors and biomarkers of cognitive ageing and dementia in diverse ethnic and sociocultural groups. BMC neurology. 2013;13:165.
- Lui VW, Lam LC, Chau RC, Fung AW, Wong BM, Leung GT, et al. Structured assessment of mental capacity to make financial decisions in Chinese older persons with mild cognitive impairment and mild Alzheimer disease. Journal of geriatric psychiatry and neurology. 2013;26(2):69-77.
- Fung AW, Lam LC. Spiritual activity is associated with better cognitive function in old age. East Asian archives of psychiatry : official journal of the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists. 2013;23(3):102-7.
- Cheng ST, Lam LC, Kwok T, Ng NS, Fung AW. Self-efficacy is associated with less burden and more gains from behavioral problems of Alzheimer's disease in Hong Kong Chinese caregivers. The Gerontologist. 2013;53(1):71-80.
- Cheng ST, Lam LC, Kwok T, Ng NS, Fung AW. The social networks of Hong Kong Chinese family caregivers of Alzheimer's disease: correlates with positive gains and burden. The Gerontologist. 2013;53(6):998-1008.
- Lui VW, Lam LC, Chau RC, Fung AW, Wong BM, Leung GT, et al. Capacity to make decisions on medication management in Chinese older persons with mild cognitive impairment and mild Alzheimer's disease. International psychogeriatrics. 2012;24(7):1103-11.
- Lam LC, Chau RC, Wong BM, Fung AW, Tam CW, Leung GT, et al. A 1-year randomized controlled trial comparing mind body exercise (Tai Chi) with stretching and toning exercise on cognitive function in older Chinese adults at risk of cognitive decline. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2012;13(6):568.e15-20.
- Leung GT, Fung AW, Tam CW, Lui VW, Chiu HF, Chan WM, et al. Examining the association between late-life leisure activity participation and global cognitive decline in community-dwelling elderly Chinese in Hong Kong. International journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2011;26(1):39-47.
- Lam LC, Chau RC, Wong BM, Fung AW, Lui VW, Tam CC, et al. Interim follow-up of a randomized controlled trial comparing Chinese style mind body (Tai Chi) and stretching exercises on cognitive function in subjects at risk of progressive cognitive decline. International journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2011;26(7):733-40.
- Fung AW, Leung GT, Lam LC. Modulating factors that preserve cognitive function in healthy ageing. East Asian archives of psychiatry: official journal of the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists. 2011;21(4):152-6.
- Cheng ST, Lam LC, Chan LC, Law AC, Fung AW, Chan WC, et al. The effects of exposure to scenarios about dementia on stigma and attitudes toward dementia care in a Chinese community. International psychogeriatrics. 2011;23(9):1433-41.
- Chan WC, Lam LC, Tam CW, Lui VW, Leung GT, Lee AT, …Fung AWT, … et al. Neuropsychiatric symptoms are associated with increased risks of progression to dementia: a 2-year prospective study of 321 Chinese older persons with mild cognitive impairment. Age and ageing. 2011;40(1):30-5.
- Lam LC, Tam CW, Leung GT, Lui VW, Fung AW, Chiu HF, et al. Combined clinical and cognitive criteria to identify mild cognitive impairment in a southern Chinese community. Alzheimer disease and associated disorders. 2010;24(4):343-7.
- Lam LC, Lui VW, Luk DN, Chau R, So C, Poon V, … Fung A, … et al. Effectiveness of an individualized functional training program on affective disturbances and functional skills in mild and moderate dementia--a randomized control trial. International journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2010;25(2):133-41.
- Fung AW, Lam LC, Lui VW. Could hypothetical scenarios enhance understanding on decision for life-sustaining treatment in non-demented Chinese older persons? Aging & mental health. 2010;14(8):994-9.
- Fung A, Luk DNY, Lui VWC, Tam PWC, Chau RCM, Poon VWK, et al. Emotional reactions towards perceived loss of function in older Chinese people with dementia. Hong Kong Journal of Pschiatry. 2007; 17(1): 13-6.
Fung A.W.T.*, Cheng ST., Lai F.H.Y. (2019) Respite Care. In: Gu D., Dupre M. (eds) Encyclopedia of Gerontology and Population Aging. Springer, Cham.
- Wong CHY*, Lam LCW, Lo H, Fung AWT. (2014). Baseline Depressive Symptoms Are Predictive of Progression to Clinical Dementia at 5 Years: A Community-Based Study in Chinese Older Adults (Hong Kong Memory and Ageing Prospective Study, HK-Maps). Alzheimer's and Dementia. 10(4): P690.
- Fung AWT*. (2012). Low morale reflects poor condition in mental health in normal elderly Chinese over the age of 60. Alzheimer's and Dementia. 8(4): P140.
- Fung AWT*, Wong CHY, Lam LCW. (2012). Cognitive activity predicted better cognitive function in community dwelling elderly Chinese over a 5-year period. Alzheimer's and Dementia. 8(4, Suppl): P139-140.
- Lam LCW*, Fung AWT, Chow C, Wong P. (2012). Interim findings of a randomized controlled trial of leisure activity intervention on preservation of cognitive function in Chinese older adults with mild cognitive impairment. Alzheimer's and Dementia. 8(4): P146.
- Fung AWT*. (2011). Test-retest reliability of computerized neuropsychological battery in a period of 45 days. [5th International congress of Asian Society Against Dementia, Hong Kong]
- Wong CHY*, Lam LCW, Chan WC, Ngai KCS, Fung AWT, Tam CWC, Ng S. (2011). Changes in cognitive profile of community-dwelling Chinese elders in Hong Kong – preliminary results of a five-year follow up study. [The 5th International congress of Asian Society Against Dementia, Hong Kong]
- Fung AWT*, Leung GTY, Lam LCW. (2010). Modulating factors of cognitive ability in normal Chinese elders. [2nd Joint International Conference of the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists and the Royal College of Psychiatrists (UK)]
- Lam LCW*, Tam CWC, Leung TYL, Lui VWC, Fung AWT. Predictors of improvement in cognitive ability in Chinese persons with mild cognitive impairment – a 2 year follow up. Alzheimer's and Dementia. 5(4).
- Fung AWT*, Lam LCW, Lui VWC. (2008) Baseline cognitive function and 22 months deterioration in Chinese elders – A population based study. [At 1st Joint International Conference of the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists and the Royal College of Psychiatrist]
Professional Services / Membership
Member of UCL Loneliness and Social Isolation in Mental Health Research Network
Research and Academic Consultant, Yan Chai Hospital
Council Member of the Chinese Dementia Research Association (CDRA)
Member of the Gerontological Society of America (GSA)
Member of the Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health (HKSBH)
Former Honorary secretary of the Chinese Dementia Research Association (CDRA)
Reviewers for Academic Journals:
- BMC Geriatrics
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
- Archive of Gerontology and Geriatrics
- The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Applied Research in Quality of Life
- Aging and mental health
- Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences
- Disability and Rehabilitation
- Frontiers in Psychiatry