Prof. SHEK Tan-lei, Daniel 石丹理講座教授
Chair Professor; Associate Vice President (Undergraduate Programme);
Li & Fung Professor in Service Leadership Education
family issues; Substance;
psychology of religion;
posiitive youth development;
DSW Thesis Seminar and Proposal Development
Tomorrow's Leaders I
Guided Study II: Research Methodology II
Professor Daniel T.L. Shek (BSSc, PhD, FHKPS, BBS, SBS, JP)
Professor Shek is Associate Vice President (Undergraduate Programme), Chair Professor of Applied Social Sciences, and Li and Fung Endowed Professor in Service Leadership Education at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He is also Advisory Professor of East China Normal University, Honorary Professor of Kiang Wu Nursing College of Macau, Adjunct Professor of Southwestern University of Finance and Economics and Adjunct Professor of Guangdong University of Technology. He is also a Fellow of the Hong Kong Psychological Society.
He has taught social work students at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels for more than 30 years. He was Dean of Students (1996-1998) and Dean of General Education (2006-2008) of New Asia College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He was elected Best Lecturer teaching the major courses in the Department of Social Work in 1995-1996. He was awarded the Exemplary Teaching Award, Faculty of Social Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2002-2003. In 2016, he obtained a Bronze Award (Ethical Leadership) and a Bronze Award (Social Enterprise) from the QS Reimagine Education Awards. In 2017, he obtained a Silver Award (Ethical Leadership) and a Gold Award (Sustainability) from the QS Reimagine Education Awards. In 2018, he was awarded the UGC Teaching Award by the University Grants Committee in 2018.
He is the Chief Editor of Journal of Youth Studies and Applied Research in Quality of Life, past Consulting Editor of Journal of Clinical Psychology, past International Advisor of American Journal of Family Therapy, and past Editorial Advisor of British Journal of Social Work. He is a Series Editor of Quality of Life in Asia published by Springer and an Associate Editor of the Encyclopedia of Family Studies published by Wiley-Blackwell. He is an Editorial Board member of many journals, including Social Indicators Research, Journal of Adolescent Health, International Journal of Behavioral Development, International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, International Journal on Disability and Human Development, Journal of Child and Family Studies and Children and Youth Services Review.
Professor Shek is a psychologist with research interests in positive youth development, family process, scale development, quality of life, program evaluation, addiction and spirituality. Professor Shek has been awarded many research grants by the Research Grants Council. His research project on the adjustment of Chinese people to midlife has been rated "excellent" by the Research Grants Council. He was awarded the CUHK Research Excellence Award 2007 by The Chinese University of Hong Kong. In 2017, he was awarded the Outstanding Researcher in Quality of Life Research Award by the International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies (ISQOLS). He was also honored by ISQOLS for the establishment of the Daniel Shek-Wofoo Foundation Endowed Track for the Promotion of Adolescent Quality of Life.
In the past decade, he has been leading a research project entitled “P.A.T.H.S. to Adulthood: A Jockey Club Youth Enhancement Scheme” (Project P.A.T.H.S.) which is financially supported by the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust with an earmarked grant of HK$750 million. He organized several international conferences on the Project P.A.T.H.S. in 2007, 2012 and 2016 with overwhelming positive comments on the impact of the project by high-rank Government officials and Chairperson of the Commission on Youth (details).
The project has been transplanted to schools in mainland China from 2011 till now with the financial support of Tin Ka Ping Foundation. Besides curriculum materials, publications and benefits to the students, teachers also benefitted from the project as evident by the number of awards the teachers obtained related to Tin Ka Ping P.A.T.H.S. project and publications documenting the program success (details).
Professor Shek has served on many high-level government advisory committees in the Hong Kong Government, including the Action Committee against Narcotics, Standing Committee on Young Offenders, Family Council, Commission on Youth, Women’s Commission, Fight Crime Committee, Beat Drugs Fund, Independent Commission against Corruption, Mental Health Review Tribunal, Nursing Council, Midwives Board, Committee on Child Fatality, and Health and Medical Research Fund. Professor Shek served as the past Chairman of the Action Committee Against Narcotics (2009-2014) and is currently Chairman of the Family Council, Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (since April 2013). He has also served as the Chairman of Heep Hong Society of Boys’ Centres. He was awarded the Bronze Bauhinia Star and Silver Bauhinia Star by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in 2000 and 2013, respectively.
Professor Shek has to date published 177 books and manuals, 522 original and re-printed book chapters and more than 700 articles in international refereed journals. According to Google Scholars Citations (May 4, 2019), his work had been cited 19,815 times with a h index of 69.
Number of publications indexed in PsycINFO (via CSA) to date: 300+
Number of publications indexed in Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) to date: 182
Number of times cited in Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) to date: 1,600+, with h factor = 22
Current Research Projects :
Has been awarded several research grants by the Research Grants Council. The research grant he has obtained to date is around HK$100 million.
- Research project on the adjustment of Chinese midlife people has been rated "excellent" by the Research Grants Council of the University Grants Committee.
- Extensive experiences in research grants vetting committees, including Convener of the Research Advisory Group of the Narcotics Division, Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
- Summary of research grants obtained to date:
- In the capacity of Principal Investigator or Co-principal Investigato; Around HK$95 million
- In the capacity of Principal Investigator, Co-principal Investigator, or Investigator; Around HK$100 million
Professional & Community Service:
- Unofficial Justice of the Peace
- Chairman, Action Committee against Narcotics, Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Convener, Research Advisory Group, Narcotics Division, Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Member, Standing Committee on Young offenders, Security Bureau, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Grant Review Board for the Health and Health Services Research Fund and the Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Diseases in Hong Kong, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Governing Committee of Beat Drugs Fund, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Citizens Advisory Committee, Independent Commission against Corruption, Government of the Hong Kong SAR
- Member, Preparatory Committee for the Establishment of the Family Commission, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Family Commission, Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Member, Committee on Child Fatality, Government of the HKSAR.
- Member, Action Committee against Narcotics, Government of the HKSAR
- Chairman, Research Committee, Action Committee against Narcotics, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Independent Police Complaints Council, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Women’s Commission, Government of the Hong Kong SAR
- Member, Commission on Youth, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Central Fight Crime Committee, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Mental Health Review Tribunal, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Nursing Council, Government of the HKSAR
- Member, Midwives Board, Government of the HKSAR
- Chairman, Executive Committee, Society of Boys' Centres.
- Honorary Consultant for Social Work Services Division, Caritas - Hong Kong.
- Chairman, Executive Committee, Heep Hong Society
- Vice-Chairman, Executive Committee, Heep Hong Society
- School Manager, Chak Yan Centre School, Sing Tak Centre School, Hui Chung Sing Memorial School, Christian Zheng Sheng College