Dr KAN Ching-yeung, Karita 靳清揚博士
Politics of China
Rural political economy
Land politics and urbanization
Social Problems and Social Issues in Contemporary China
Comparative Social Policy and Social Development
Social Policy Analysis and Social Accountability
Karita Kan is Assistant Professor at the Department of Applied Social Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University. She received her DPhil and MPhil in Politics from the University of Oxford. Her research concerns urbanization, the politics of land, and rural China’s post-socialist transformation. Her recent and forthcoming publications can be found in The China Quarterly, China Information, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, and Journal of Rural Studies, among others.
Karita is a member of the Management Committee of the China Research and Development Network. She is also a Research Associate with the French Centre for Research on Contemporary China, and an editorial committee member for China Perspectives.
- Principal Investigator, Collectives and Cooperatives in Rural China: Agrarian Change and Community Economy in Guangdong Province (2019-2021), General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
- Principal Investigator, Rural Transformation and Institutional Change in South China: A Comparative Study of Rural Land and Shareholding Reforms (2018-2020), Early Career Scheme, Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
- Principal Investigator, Food Politics and Activism in Taiwan: Discourse, Actors and Processes (2017-2019), Department General Research Fund, Department of Applied Social Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Principal Investigator, The Political Economy of Agricultural Investments in East Asia: The Role of China (2016-2019), Department Start-up Grant, Department of Applied Social Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Principal Investigator, Urbanization and Governance in reform China: A study of the Pearl River Delta cities (2015-2016), College Research Grant, Centennial College.
- Kan, Karita. (2018). A weapon of the weak? Shareholding, property rights and villager empowerment in rural China. The China Quarterly, doi: 10.1017/S0305741018001352.
- Kan, Karita and Yuen, Samson. (2018). Visceral politics across the Strait: Food and risk in China-Taiwan relations. China Information, 32(3), 443-462.
- Kan, Karita. (2018). The (geo)politics of land and foreign real estate investment in China: The case of Hong Kong FDI. In Dallas Rogers and Sin Yee Koh (eds.), The Globalization of Real Estate: The Politics and Practice of Foreign Real Estate Investment, 35-55. London and New York: Routledge.
- Kan, Karita. (2018). Book review: The geopolitics of real estate: Reconfiguring property, capital and rights, by Dallas Rogers. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, doi: 10.1007/s10901-018-9635-0.
- Kan, Karita. (2017). The (geo)politics of land and foreign real estate investment in China: The case of Hong Kong FDI. International Journal of Housing Policy 17(1), 35-55.
- Kan, Karita. (2016). The transformation of the village collective in urbanizing China: A historical institutional analysis. Journal of Rural Studies 47, 588-600.