Dr Fu Wai-chung
Research Assistant Professor
- +852 3400 8684
Education and Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Croucher Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the United States
Our research focuses on streamlined continuous-flow synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients such as anti-cancer agents and antibiotics. We are also interested in using the many attributes of flow chemistry to enable new reactions which would otherwise be difficult or improbable to achieve previously under regular organic synthesis conditions.
Academic and Professional Experiences
- Member of American Chemical Society
- Transition Metal Catalysis
- Flow Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Catalyst Design
- 2018 Croucher Fellowship for Postdoctoral Research, The Croucher Foundation, Hong Kong
- 2017 SciFinder Future Leaders Award, Chemical Abstracts Service, American Chemical Society
- 2017 HKSAR Government Scholarship – Reaching Out Award
- 2017 Best Poster Award for Organic Chemistry, The 24th Symposium on Chemistry Postgraduate Research in Hong Kong
- 2016 Best Oral Presentation Award, The 6th Junior International Conference on Cutting-edge Organic Chemistry in Asia
- 2016 Best Poster Presentation for Organic Chemistry, The 23rd Symposium on Chemistry Postgraduate Research in Hong Kong
- 2015 First Prize of Oral Presentation, The 22nd Symposium on Chemistry Postgraduate Research in Hong Kong
- 2013 Best Undergraduate Research Project, Department of Chemistry, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Kwong, F. Y.; Fu, W. C.; To, S. C.; So, C. M.; Choy, P. Y. "Preparation of Carbazolyl-based Phosphine Ligands and Applications Thereof" CN patent 2017, CN106588983 (A)
- Fu, W. C.; MacQueen, P. M.; Jamison, T. F.* “Continuous Flow Strategies for Using Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases in Fluoroalkylations” Chem. Soc. Rev. 2021, doi.org/10.1039/D0CS00670J
- Fu, W. C.; Jamison, T. F.* “Deuteriodifluoromethylation and gem-Difluoroalkenylation of Aldehydes Using ClCF2H in Continuous Flow” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 13885.(Selected as Synfact of the Month by Synfacts 2020, 16, 1001.)
- Fu, W. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “A Denitrogenative Palladium-Catalyzed Cascade for Regioselective Synthesis of Fluorenes” Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 1411.
- Fu, W. C.; Jamison, T. F.* “Modular Continuous Flow Synthesis of Imatinib and Analogues” Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 6112.(Highlighted by Synfacts 2019, 15, 1213.)
- Zhao, Q; Fu, W. C.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Regioselective Aromatic Extension of Internal Alkynes through a Norbornene-Controlled Reaction Sequence” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3381.(Highlighted by Synfacts 2018, 14, 0370.)
- Fu, W. C.; Zheng, B; Zhao, Q.; Chan, W. T. K.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Cascade Amination and Acetone Monoarylation with Aryl Iodides by Palladium/Nobornene Cooperative Catalysis” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 4335.
- Fu, W. C.; Wang, Z.; Chan, W. T. K.; Lin, Z.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Regioselective Synthesis of Polycyclic and Heptagon-embedded Aromatic Compounds through a Versatile π-Extension of Aryl Halides” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 7166.
- Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Yuen, O. Y.; Lee, I. T. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Exploiting Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates in Catalytic Mono-a-Arylation of Aryl- and Heteroarylketones” Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 1872. (Highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal)
- Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Phosphorylation of Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 5906.(Highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal)
- Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Chow, W. K.; Yuen, O. Y.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Design of an Indolylphosphine Ligand for Reductive Elimination-Demanding Monoarylation of Acetone Using Aryl Chlorides” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 4612.(Highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal)