Dr. Fangxin (Frank) Zou
BEng (Sydney, Hons I), PhD (Imperial), AMRAeS, MInstP
Area of Specialization
Non-Destructive Evaluation, Structural Health Monitoring, Transducer Technology, Electrochemistry, Ultrasound, Computational Modelling
Dr Zou obtained a First Class Honours degree in Aeronautical (Space) Engineering at The University of Sydney in 2010. He then completed a PhD in Aeronautics at Imperial College London in 2015. Prior to joining The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, he was a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the world-renowned Non-Destructive Evaluation Group at Imperial College London.
Dr Zou aspires to improve the safety, energy efficiency and sustainability of modern society. His research interests span both experimental and computational aspects, and include:
1) Structural health monitoring systems for aircrafts;
2) High-accuracy ultrasonic techniques for analytical chemistry;
3) Ultrasonic measurement devices;
4) Computational modelling of smart materials and structures.
Dr Zou holds memberships in a variety of professional organizations including The Royal Aeronautical Society (UK), The Institute of Physics (UK), The American Society for Nondestructive Testing (USA) and The National Association of Corrosion Engineers (USA). He also maintains close collaborative relationships with a number of world-leading engineering companies.
I am constantly recruiting PhD candidates (master's degree holders), research assistants (master's degree holders) and postdoctoral researchers to work on research topics that are within the abovementioned themes. If you wish to pursue your own research topic that is within my area of specialization, you may consider the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme which opens for applications every September.
1. Zou, F.*, Benedetti, I., & Aliabadi, M. H. (2013). A boundary element model for structural health monitoring using piezoelectric transducers. Smart Materials and Structures, 23(1), 015022.
2. Zou, F.*, & Aliabadi, M. H. (2015). A boundary element method for detection of damages and self-diagnosis of transducers using electro-mechanical impedance. Smart Materials and Structures, 24(9), 095015.
3. Zou, F.*, & Aliabadi, M. H. (2017). On modelling three-dimensional piezoelectric smart structures with boundary spectral element method. Smart Materials and Structures, 26(5), 055015.
4. Zou, F.*, Rao, J., & Aliabadi, M. H. (2018). Highly accurate online characterisation of cracks in plate-like structures. NDT & E International, 94, 1-12.
5. Zou, F.*, & Cegla, F. B. (2017). High accuracy ultrasonic monitoring of electrochemical processes. Electrochemistry Communications, 82, 134-138.
6. Zou, F.*, & Cegla, F. B. (2017). High-Accuracy Ultrasonic Corrosion Rate Monitoring. Corrosion, 74(3).
7. Zou, F.*, & Cegla, F. B. (2018). On quantitative corrosion rate monitoring with ultrasound. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 812, 115-121.
8. Wang, Y., Zou, F.*, & Cegla, F. B. (2017). Acoustic Waveguides: An Attractive Alternative for Accurate and Robust Contact Thermometry. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 270, 84-88.
* corresponding author