Department-based Academic Advising
All departments are required to establish an academic advising system to achieve the objectives of academic advising.
Departmental Academic Advisor
Each full-time undergraduate student will be assigned to full-time academic staff from his/her Major department who will act as his/her academic advisor(s) (for Broad Discipline students, a different academic advisor might be assigned to him/her after declaration of major) - throughout his/her course of study at PolyU.
The main responsibilities of the departmental academic advisor will include:
- Building rapport with the students, serving as a bridge that connects them to the department,
- Being accessible and available to students, and responding to their questions and concerns,
- Helping student to consider and clarify their intellectual, professional and personal goals,
- Helping students to develop an appropriate study plan (particularly with regard to their Major), and assisting in their selection of appropriate courses to achieve their identified goals,
- Clarifying to students academic regulations and requirements, particularly those relating to the Major,
- Identifying students with special learning needs or early signs of learning problems, and referring/encouraging them to seek help or support.
The Undergraduate Secretary would be an important person, having the necessary knowledge to advise students on issues related to academic requirements and regulations related to all academic programmes offered by the department as well as GUR subjects. For Faculties with Broad Discipline admissions, an Undergraduate Secretary should be also appointed at the Faculty level to advise Broad Discipline-admitted students on those issues.
To provide the overall coordination of academic advising within a department, the Departmental Undergraduate Programme Committee is given the additional responsibilities of:
- Coordinating the planning and implementation of academic advising within the department,
- Providing support to colleagues who are involved in academic advising, and
- Ensuring that academic advising at the departmental level is carried out in a quality manner.