Essential Guide

Immigration Policies and Regulations Related to Non-local Students

A. Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID card)
According to the Registration of Persons Ordinance, non-local students permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days must apply for the Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID card) at the Immigration Department within 30 days of arrival. You are therefore required to apply for an HKID card in person at the Immigration Department as as soon as possible. Application should be made to the Hong Kong Immigration Department at:

In Person : 8/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel. No. : (852) 2824 6111 (Hotline)
Website :
E-mail : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
You may make an advanced booking via the Immigration Department’s 24-hour Telephone Booking Service at 2598 0888 or at
bookregidcard.htm. In making an appointment, you need to enter the number of your passport/travel documents as the number of the identity document. Please produce your passport/travel documents for the application. There is no charge for HKID card issued to new arrivals. The processing normally takes about 15 working days. Once you get the HKID card, you are entitled to use the government medical services at local rates. You are required to carry your HKID card at all times. In case you have lost it, you should report to the Police immediately and apply for a replacement at the Immigration Department.

B. Other Immigration-related Issues
• Visa Extension
It is your responsibility to extend your student visa before it expires. Applications for visa extension will normally be accepted 4 weeks before its expiry.  Upon receipt of all necessary documents, it normally takes at least 2 to 3 weeks for the Immigration Department to process your application. You should write to the Academic Secretariat at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. around 4 weeks before the expiry date of your student visa.  Please note that you must be physically in Hong Kong on the dates of submission of application and collection of the visa label..

• Immigration Restrictions on Employment / Related Matter
It is important for students holding student visa to comply with immigration regulations and conditions of stay in Hong Kong. The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region has implemented a set of new immigration measures relaxing certain restrictions in respect of internship, part-time on campus employment and summer job for non-local students with effective from May 19, 2008. Eligible students will be notified of the relaxation individually by a "No Objection Letter" (NOL) upon approval of entry/extension of stay applications.  You may also wish to refer to the Immigration Department Official Website for policy details.  For those who are planning for full-time employment after graduation, it will be useful to check out the requirements listed in the Immigration Department official website. FAQs are also found at