Area of Specialization
Structured acoustic materials and metamaterials; Acoustic imaging technology and system; Piezoelectric material and acoustic transducers; Experimental acoustics
Dr. Jie Zhu joins Hong Kong Polytechnic University as Assistant Professor in July 2014. Before the assignment he was a post-doc scholar and associate specialist with the department of mechanical engineering at University of California Berkeley, United States. In 2008, Dr. Zhu received his PhD degree in materials engineering from the intercollege program of materials at the Pennsylvania State University, United States. He earned the B.A degree in computer science and the M.S. degree in electrical engineering, both from Nanjing University, China.
Dr. Zhu has authored tens of articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals. He is a regular reviewer for over 20 scientific and engineering journals and has given multiple invited and oral presentations at international conferences and workshops. Dr. Zhu is a member of Acoustical Society of America, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, American Physical Society and Materials Research Society.
- X. Zhu, H. Ramezani, C. Shi, J. Zhu & X. Zhang, “Parity-Time Symmetric Acoustics”, Submitted.
- P. Zhang, T. C. Li, J. Zhu, X. Zhu, S. Yang, Y. Wang, X. Yin & X. Zhang, “Generation of acoustic self-bending and bottle beams by phase engineering”, Nature Communications, 5, 4316, 2014. Co-1st author.
- J. Zhu, Y. Chen, X. Zhu, F. Garcia-Vidal, X. Yin, W. Zhang and X. Zhang, “Acoustic rainbow trapping”, Scientific Reports, 3, 1728, 2013.
- J. Zhu, J. Christensen, J. Jung, L. Martin-Moreno, X. Yin, L. Fok, X. Zhang and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, "A holey-structured metamaterial for acoustic deep-subwavelength imaging", Nature Physics, Vol. 7, 52, 2011.
- J. Zhu, W. Cao, B. Jiang, D. S. Zhang, H. Zheng, Q. Zhou and K. K. Shung, “Nano-structured TiO2 Film Fabricated at Room Temperature and Its Acoustic Properties”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 41 (16), 2008.
- J. Zhu and W. Cao, “Ultrasonic Wave Propagation in Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors Structure Containing Cracks”, Materials Evaluations, Vol. 65, 2007.
- J. Zhu and W. Cao, “Ultrasonic Attenuation and Velocity Changes in Multilayer Structures Containing Multiple Delaminations”, Materials Evaluations, Vol. 64, 2006.
- Z. Dong, J. Zhu, X. Yin, J. Li, C. Lv and X. Zhang, "All-optical Hall effect by the dynamic toroidal moment in a cavity-based metamaterial", Phys. Rev. B, 87, 245429, 2013.
- Z. Dong, J. Zhu, J. Rho, J. Li, C. Lv, X. Yin and X. Zhang, "Optical toroidal dipolar response by an asymmetric double-bar metamaterial", Applied Physics Letters, Vol.101, 144105, 2012.
- Z. Dong, P. Ni, J. Zhu, X. Yin and X. Zhang, "Toroidal dipole response in a multifold double-ring metamaterial", Optics Express, Vol. 20, 12, 2012.
- Z. Dong, P. Ni, J. Zhu and X. Zhang, “Transparency window for the absorptive dipole resonance in a symmetry-reduced grating structure”, Optics Express, Vol. 20, 7, 2012.
- F. M. Wang, H. Liu, T. Li, S. M. Wang, S. Zhu, J. Zhu and W. Cao, “Highly Confined Energy Propagation in a Gap Waveguide Composed of Two Coupled Nanorod Chains”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, 2007.
- Z. Dong, S. Zhu, H. Liu, J. Zhu and W. Cao, “Numerical Simulations of Negative-index Refraction in Wedge-shaped Metamaterials”, Physical Review E., Vol. 72, 2005.
- J. Zhu, W. Cao, B. Jiang, D. S. Zhang, H. Zheng, Q. Zhou and K. K. Shung, “Fabrication and Characterization of Nanocrystalline TiO2-Polymer Composite Matching Layers”, IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium Proceedings, 2007.
- J. Li, Z. Liang, J. Zhu and X. Zhang, “Anisotropic Metamaterials for Transformation Acoustics and Imaging”, in Acoustic Metamaterials: Negative Refraction, Imaging, Lensing and Cloaking (Springer Series in Materials Science), R. V. Craster, S. Guenneau, eds., Springer, 2013.