Area of Specialization
Turbulence modeling; Fluid-structure interaction; Flow-induced vibration; Direct aeroacoustics simulation; Lattice Boltzmann-type equation
Ronald MC So received his BSc (Hons) from The University of Hong Kong in 1962, and was awarded a Commonwealth scholarship to study at McGill University in 1964 where he received his MEng in 1966. He then went to the US and received his MA and PhD in Aerospace and Mechanical Sciences from Princeton University in 1968 and 1971, respectively. He joined Union Camp Corporation in 1970 working on pulp and paper research. Shortly thereafter, he joined Rutgers University first as a Post-doctoral Fellow and then as a Research Assistant Professor in 1972 to work on problems related to atmospheric dispersion and pollution. He left Rutgers to join General Electric Research and Development Center (GE R&D) in 1976 to work on research and development in the areas of propulsion and power generation. In 1981, he left GE R&D to become an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Arizona State University (ASU). The following year he was promoted to Professor and remained there until 1996 when he took a two-year leave of absence to head the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (HK PolyU). Since 1998, he has resigned from ASU to become Head of ME at HK PolyU. He retired from the Headship on 1 July 2005 but remained as Chair Professor until 1 July 2006. He was installed as Emeritus Professor of the University after retiring from Mechanical Engineering. Since 2008, he has been serving as Visiting Chair Professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department and the Building Services Engineering Department.
Dr. So’s research led to the Publication Award in 1981 from GE R&D, the Dugald Clerk Prize from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1991 for contributions made to combustion in IC engines, the Doctor of Science (DSc) degree in 1993 from The University of Hong Kong for original contributions in fluid dynamics and heat transfer, the Lewis F. Moody Award of ASME in 1996 for contributions made in the area of computational fluid dynamics, and the Doctor of Engineering (DEng) honoris causa degree in 2005 from Waterloo University for contributions made in fluid dynamics and mechanical engineering education. Through the years Dr. So has received funding from agencies such as NSF, NASA Langley, NASA Lewis, NASA Ames, NRL, DTMB, Naval Surface Weapons Lab, DoE, DoD, RGC of the Government of the HKSAR, and various industrial concerns such as Research Cottrell, GE Nuclear Division, GE Gas Turbine Division, GE Aircraft Engine Division, and Garrett. His funding totals more than US$12 millions. His current research interests include Boltzmann equation modeling, aeroacoustics, vibroacoustics, flow-induced vibrations, turbulence modeling, buoyant and non-buoyant turbulent flows and turbulent heat transfer modeling.
Dr. So has been inducted into the Asian Academy Hall of Fame in 2006. He is a Commonwealth Scholar and has also been elected to Academician of the International Academy of Astronautics; Fellow of the World Innovation Foundation; Fellow AIAA; Fellow ASME; Fellow IMechE; Fellow RAeS; and Fellow HKIE. Dr. So is an Associate Editor of AIAA Journal (1993-1995, 1998-2008), an Associate Editor of the Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics (2013-Present), an Advisory Editor of the International Journal of Mechanical Sciences (1997-Present), the International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow (1994-Present), and a Special Editor of Combustion Science and Technology (1988), an Editor of ASME Special Publications (1984, 1986), and an Editor of the HKIE Transactions (2003-Present). Dr. So has served as Chairman of the Engineering Panel of the Research Assessment Exercise (which assesses engineering research of all universities in Hong Kong) of the Research Grants Council of the HKSAR for two times, 1999 and 2006, in addition to being a member of the Engineering Panel from 1996-2002. Simultaneously, he was a member of the Metals Committee of the HKSAR from 1996-2002. He was a Council member of IMechE (2002-2005), a Chairman of the Asia-Pacific Region of ASME (1999-2002), and a member of the Executive Committee of the ME Department Heads Committee of ASME. In addition, he sat on various committees of HKIE. Dr. So has edited 8 books and is the author/co-author of 325 papers in archival journals and conference proceedings, and 46 reports to funding agencies. He has delivered 210 invited talks and presentations at various conferences.
Current Research Project
Lattice Boltzmann-Type Equation and Its Application to Fluid Dynamics – This project focuses on the development of a finite difference lattice Boltzmann-type method coupling with an immersed boundary scheme for the simulation of a wide variety of fluid dynamic problems with complex and moving boundaries; such as microchannel flow, pulsating flow in blood vessel, double-diffusive flow in the ocean, stratified flow in the atmosphere, aeroacoustics, shock capturing, shock structure, etc.
Selected Publications (2000-Present)
- S. C. Fu, C. Y. H. Chao, R. M. C. Soand W. T. Leung 2013 Particle Resuspension in a Wall-Bounded Turbulent Flow. Journal of Fluids Engineering135(4), 041301(1-9).
- S. C. Fu, R. M. C. So and W. W. F. Leung 2013 A Lattice Boltzmann and Immersed Boundary Scheme for Model Blood Flow in Constricted Pipes: Part 2 - Pulsatile Flow. Communications in Computational Physics14(1), 153-173.
- K. T. Chan, X. Q. Wang, R. M. C. So and J. Huang 2012 Revolving Superposed Standing Waves in a Spinning Timoshenko Beam. Journal of Sound and Vibration331, 815-832.
- S. C. Fu, R. M. C. So and W. W. F. Leung 2011 A Discrete Flux scheme for Aerodynamic and Hydrodynamic Flows. Communication in Computational Physics9(5), 1257-1283.
- E. W. S. Kam, R. M. C. So, S. C. Fu and R. C. K. Leung 2010 Finite Difference Lattice Boltzmann Method Applied to Acoustic-Scattering Problems. AIAA Journal48(2), 354-371.
- S. C. Fu, R. M. C. So and w. W. F. Leung 2010 Stochastic Finite-Difference Lattice Boltzmann Method for Steady Incompressible Viscous Flows. Journal of Computational Physics229, 6048-6103.
- E. W. S. Kam, R. M. C. So and R. C. K. Leung 2009 Acoustic Scattering by a Localized Thermal Disturbance. AIAA Journal 47(9), 2039-2052.
- S. C. Fu, W. W. F. Leung and R. M. C. So 2009 A Lattice Boltzmann Based Numerical Scheme for Microchannel Flows. Journal of Fluids Engineering131(August), 081401(11 pages).
- R. M. C. So, R. C. K. Leung and S. C. Fu 2008 Modeled Boltzmann Equation and Its Application to Shock Capturing Simulation. AIAA Journal46(12), 3038-3048.
- R. M. C. So, X. Q. Wang, W.-C. Xie and J. Zhu 2008 Free Stream Turbulence Effects on Vortex-Induced Vibration of an Elastic Cylinder. Journal of Fluids and Structures24, 481-495.
- Y. L. Lau, R. C. K. Leung and R. M. C. So 2007 Vortex-Induced Vibration Effect on Fatigue Life Estimate of Turbine Blades. Journal of Sound and Vibration307(3-5), 698-719.
- X. M. Li, R. C. K. Leung and R. M. C. So 2006 One-Step Aeroacoustics Simulation Using Lattice Boltzmann Method. AIAA Journal44(1), 78-89.
- R. M. C. So, Y. Liu, Z. X. Cui, C. H. Zhang and X. Q. Wang 2005 Three-Dimensional Wake Effects on the Flow-Induced Forces. Journal of Fluids and Structures20, 373-402.
- K. F. Luk, R. M. C. So, R. C. K. Leung, Y. L. Lau and S. C. Kot 2004 Aerodynamic and Structural Resonance of an Elastic Airfoil due to Oncoming Vortices. AIAA Journal42(5), 899-907.
- Y. L. Lau, R. M. C. So and R. C. K. Leung 2004 Flow-Induced Vibration of Elastic Slender Structures in a Cylinder Wake. Journal of Fluids and Structures19, 1061-1083.
- R. M. C. So, L. H. Jin and T. B. Gatski 2004 An Explicit Algebraic Reynolds Stress and Heat Flux Model for Incompressible Turbulence: Part I Non-isothermal Flow. Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics17, 351-376.
- R. M. C. So, L. H. Jin and T. B. Gatski 2004 An Explicit Algebraic Reynolds Stress and Heat Flux Model for Incompressible Turbulence: Part II Buoyant Flow. Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics17, 377-406.
- L. H. Jin, R. M. C. So and T. B. Gatski 2003 Equilibrium States of Turbulent Homogeneous Buoyant Flows. Journal of Fluid Mechanics482, pp. 207-233.
- K. T. Chan, X. Q. Wang, R. M. C. So and S. R. Reid 2002 Superposed Standing Waves in a Timoshenko Beam. Proceedings of the Royal Society London A458, 83-108.
- Y. Zhou, Z. J. Wang, R. M. C. So, S. J. Xu and W. Jin 2001 Free vibrations of Two Side-by-Side Cylinders in a Cross Flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics443, 197-229.
- C. Y. Zhou, R. M. C. So and M. P. Mignolet 2000 Fluid Damping of an Elastic Cylinder in a Cross Flow. Journal of Fluids and Structures14, 303-322.
1. C. G. Speziale and R. M. C. So 1998 Turbulence Modeling and Simulation. The Handbook of Fluid Dynamics (Editor: Richard W. Johnson), CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, Florida, pp. 14.1 - 14.111.