THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Construction and Environment (FCE) &
Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development
Summer School for Outstanding Postgraduate
and Senior Undergraduate Students
Faculty of Construction and Environment (FCE)
Composed of four departments, namely, the Department of Building and Real Estate, the Department of Building Services Engineering, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and the Department of Land Surveying and Geo-Informatics, the Faculty of Construction and Environment (FCE) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is the major and the largest contributor in Hong Kong to university-based research in disciplines related to construction and environment. Its world-class research programmes have earned it a high reputation in both the international scientific community and the industrial sector.
The Faculty is home to 120 academic staff members at Lecturer and above levels whose expertise spans a wide range of areas related to the construction industry. It also houses 8 research centres, with a population of about 275 research postgraduate students (including about 248 PhD students) and about 165 research staff. It offers a vibrant environment for cutting-edge research in disciplines related to construction and environment, with a strong emphasis on challenges created by high-density cities.
Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development (RISUD)
The Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development (RISUD) was established by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) in January 2012 to develop innovative solutions for sustainable high-density cities by capitalizing on the living laboratory of Hong Kong's urban environment and the multidisciplinary expertise of PolyU. RISUD includes 27 research groups which are organized into five divisions. The 27 research groups of RISUD are each led by a senior researcher who is an internationally recognized scholar in the area. The Institute is committed to multi-disciplinary collaborations to address major urban development and environmental issues.
To provide outstanding postgraduate and senior undergraduate students from leading universities around the world in disciplines related to construction and environment an opportunity to be exposed to cutting-edge research and to check out FCE and RISUD as possible destinations for their future research studies.
6 to 15 August 2014 (Tentative)
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Details of the Summer School
Seminars on research frontiers in construction and environment plus other activities (e.g. laboratory and site visits, gatherings, etc.) will be organized by the FCE and RISUD. The seminars will be delivered in English.
Students who are interested in furthering their studies in disciplines related to construction and environment at PolyU can also take advantage of this opportunity to explore potential research topics at PolyU.
The Summer School is free of charge.
Free accommodation (shared room) will be provided to all admitted students. Economy class return air tickets or train tickets will also be provided on a reimbursement basis. The reimbursement ceiling for students from within and outside the Pearl-river delta region will be HK$1,000 and HK$4,000 respectively.
Who can apply
- Full-time postgraduate students pursuing a Master’s degree programme.
- Fresh graduates of Bachelor degree programmes at the time of the Summer School.
- Senior undergraduate students who are in the final stage of undergraduate studies at the time of the Summer School (e.g. have at least completed 3 years of a 4-year Bachelor degree programme).
- The applicants should have a strong interest in a research/academic career, excellent communication skills as well as good leadership potential.
- The academic performance of successful applicants is expected to be within the top 10% of students from leading universities (e.g. Chinese mainland universities of the 985 project).
How to submit applications
Please complete the online application form and attach the following documents:
(1) Recommendation of Academic Referee (Please use the template attached below);
(2) a Curriculum Vitae;
(3) Academic transcripts/academic results reports (showing the GPA or average score of each academic year);
(4) a one-page personal statement describing the applicant’s research/career aspirations and
(5) Degree and English examination certificates (if any).
[Download: Recommendation of Academic Referee(*doc)]
[Online application form]
Interested students are welcome to submit an application online on or before 21 March 2014.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
For enquiry, please email email@example.com
or fax 852-2362 2574
or telephone 852-3400 3894.
Frequently Asked Questions
[Download PDF file]
[Last revision date: 2014/1/29]